WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf72

Explorer
guess they don't like Birthright or Darksun, huh?

the birthright world has only one continent explored, there's lots more to do ... similiar with Darksun ... lots more to do.

I guess they want something a bit newer and fresher

Frostmarrow

First Post
Tsyr said:
Someone tell Shark... :)

Yeah. Core Ethos Sentence á la SHARK:

SHARK'S Realms is a world of sword-and-sorcery adventure, where millions of heroes battle millions of monsters with magic.

Apologies to SHARK - you know I'm a fan.

Reprisal

First Post
There's nothing wrong with new and fresh ideas, at least, I think so... As far as I know, Birthright and Darksun have things going on for them online, perhaps WotC didn't want to meddle with that...

Still, I do have some desire to try it out, but at the same time, I'm not sure that I really understand some of the questions and terms on the template.

1. Core Ethos Sentence. [A sentence that describes the core ethos of the world. For example, Forgotten Realms is a world of sword-and-sorcery adventure, where heroes battle monsters with magic.]

2. Who are the heroes? [Brief description of heroes central to the setting. This need not be a comprehensive list.]

3. What do they do? [What are the main objectives of the heroes, and what steps do they take to achieve those objectives?]

4. Threats, Conflicts, Villains [What is the main danger to the world, and from whom does it come?]

5. Nature of magic [What is the source of magic? How abundant/scarce is it?]

6. What’s new? What’s different? [What makes this setting unique?

Now, I understand the Core Ethos Sentence, but when they ask who the heroes, villains, and such, I don't quite understand...

Am I supposed to outline NPC heroes, and villains? Or should I be outlining Kings, Queens, Chancellors, Clergy, and Warlords?

Are the Heroes meant to be central characters to the setting like Elminster and Mordenkainen (sp.) in FR and GH, or more akin to characters like Emperor Kabori in KoK?

Napftor

Explorer
This certainly is the chance of a lifetime. Even if you don't have a world of your own, it's worth the time and effort to make one up fast! Hell, this is what I'm doing. Good luck to everyone!

CWD

First Post
[BEGIN RANT BLOCK]

Is this genuine? Why isn't it on the Wizard's website? While we're at it:

1) Similar to the Realms and Dragonlance... WHY? I'm glad I sold my setting already, since obviously Wizards isn't interested in something different from what they've done before.

2) What's up with that ethos statement? It could describe any and all fantasy settings. For the realms, shouldn't it be more like "A world of powerful good-aligned NPCs, where the PCs get to follow them around and sing their praises"? (BTW I like the Realms just fine, so I'm allowed to bash its flaws)

2) Who are the main heroes?? The PCs, duh! Why would they ask such a question? It sounds like they're interested more in hack novel fodder than a decent game setting.

3) If they really wanted a good fantasy setting, they would have busted their butts to pick up the Lord of the Rings license instead of letting Decipher get it.

4) I guess I'd better sit down and start writing a new setting proposal (hey, I'm weak)!

[END RANT BLOCK]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads