• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Seeking Your Setting Proposals (was "Big Wizard announcement")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Big Question

Void Indigo said:
Anthony,

On the Fantasy Setting Proposal Template, questions 2 & 3 ask about the heroes of the setting--do you mean signature characters, like Elminster and Raestlin, or do you mean "Who would the average party be and what would they do?"

Thanks

I, too, will second (third? fourth?) this question. I've already gotten the rough answers written on the rest of the six questions, but I'm not quite sure how to answer these two.

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
Reason for the Lack of Posts

1) People are waiting for Anthony to respond to the questions already asked.

2) People are giddy with excitement.

3) People are shocked into silence.

4) People are busy writing up their "1 page winner"

Taren Nighteyes

P.S. I really think this is one of the best things Wizards has ever done. Thank you.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Re: Reason for the Lack of Posts

Taren Nighteyes said:
1) People are waiting for Anthony to respond to the questions already asked.

2) People are giddy with excitement.

3) People are shocked into silence.

4) People are busy writing up their "1 page winner"

Taren Nighteyes

P.S. I really think this is one of the best things Wizards has ever done. Thank you.

1? Check

2? Check

3? Nope

4? Got my first one done. Almost.... :D

I agree, this is a bold and yet ingenius move on their part.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Are multiple submissions allowed?

edit: Ah, see...I was trying to show what happens if you don't read the FAQ and...I, uh...forget it. I just read the FAQ. ;)

Last edited:

sword-dancer

Explorer
SHARK said:
Greetings!

Well, what can I say?:) This is certainly an interesting opportunity. Of course I will send a submission!:) Thanks for the encouragement from my fans and friends by the way!

I'm wondering though, if my own world would be similar enough to Forgotten Realms for them to want it. FR is ok, but my own world has some distinct differences. We'll see though! The best of luck to everyone else that joins in the fun!

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

I wish you luck and good success.

bye

Thorsten

Last edited:

Zulkir

First Post
Some answers

Folks,

I'll try cover what I've got so far

On format, we are not picky as long as it is professional. Double or single, either is fine. Obviously if we get six point type and no margins we are going to toss it, just like we are going to toss anything not typed (put away your crayons).

On heroes what we are look for is broad outlines of who becomes heores in your world and why. Are they adventureres, fighting injustice, out to make a buck, some combination etc. etc. We don't need actual characters until the 10 page.

On how far you can stray from the genre. We are looking for a product that you can use the core rule books for. We are open to new classes, races, maybe even spell systems. But the further you stray the more impressive you are going to need to be. And don't bother with non-medieval I don't care how good the proposal we are no looking for Shadowrun.

Two final thoughts. Someon on this list pointed out that the best thing to do is keep in mond that we could be reading hundereds of these submissions and that you should keep that in mind. So the more you can do to make our job easier the better the chances are you will get paid attention to. If for whateever reason we have to work to read your entry we are likely to give up quick. Point two, also keep in mind that you are proposing a world that will be used for RPGs, novels, minis and maybe TCGs. You might want to keep that in mind as you are creating - leave room for all of the above.

Oh, someone asked about ownership. Yes, you own your work until you are one of the top 3. Yes, that is right we will only ask for the rights to the top 3 proposals.

AV

please forgive the typing I am rushing today.

mearls

Hero
I'm of two minds on this entire business. I can't help but think there are other forces at work here. On a few levels, none of this makes any sense:

1. WotC has more than a few designers on staff, all of whom are already paid full-time salaries to do this exact sort of thing.

2. There's no guarantee the settings they receive will be any good, or at least any better than anything a staff designer could create.

3. Wasn't one of the problems with TSR that they released too many settings that splintered the customer base? WotC obviously expects this to be on the same scale as FR and DL, but DL never really succeeded as an RPG product.

On the other hand, the two most successful properties TSR developed (FR in terms of RPG products, DL in terms of books) were both created out of house. FR was Ed's baby, while Tracy Hickman created the basics of DL while driving cross-country to his new job at TSR.

This will be a curious process to watch, indeed. The process in and of itself could be an important tool to help fire interest in the game world. At the very least, WotC will have piles of world proposals that will tell them a lot about what people are looking for in D&D products.

Good luck to everyone who enters.

King_Stannis

Explorer
mearls said:
.....At the very least, WotC will have piles of world proposals that will tell them a lot about what people are looking for in D&D products...

hmmm, that comment interests me quite a bit.

i'll be interested in whose name actually ends up on the final product. something tells me that, far from being a newcomer, it may be someone already entrenched in the industry. let's face it, if someone like monte cook submits a one page proposal of his ptolus campaign do you think that it *just might* get goosed up to the top of the pile? this is basically a $120,000 freelance job that a professional could crank out in maybe 9 months (W.A.G.). if i was a professional, you better believe i'd be sharpening my pencil for that kind of jack!

*crack* - back cynical side. :) on the face of it, it does seem a great opportunity to get noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads