WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

Glyfair

Explorer
Did WotC ever say there would be at least one of role for each power source? I do remember them stating that they were avoiding unnecessary symmetry.
There have been comments from designers that some combinations were pretty close to impossible (no, I can't point to one). The general feeling is that the comments were directed at the martial controller role.

Just so we're clear...

The "PH2 has swordmage" scoop on the News page is an error, right?

Nowhere in this thread, the apparent source for said scoop, seems to suggest otherwise. Or did I misread something?

There have been comments from designers that some combinations were pretty close to impossible (no, I can't point to one). The general feeling is that the comments were directed at the martial controller role.
Darkwolf71 said:
You can not fill the role of a Controller with a Martial Character. They just don't work. Every example I have seen suggested either 1) was not truely a Martial character or 2) was not really a Controller.
These.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
divine - could easily have no striker or no controller

I'm thinking/hoping the "I" class in the PHB II will be an Invoker (divine striker) and the "T" class a Theurge (divine controller).

I agree this Martial Controller some people are clamouring for will never come to fruition, not only have the designers stated they are not obsessing about filling out the power source/role grid, but every idea I have seen for one has been very contrived.

This Engineer/Alchemist/Harrier/Dragoon etc business is doing me old noggin in.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Just so we're clear...

The "PH2 has swordmage" scoop on the News page is an error, right?

Nowhere in this thread, the apparent source for said scoop, seems to suggest otherwise. Or did I misread something?
The scoop is an error. I inadvertently combined 2 lists. Sorry.

drothgery

First Post
(the ki power source)

I'm really at a loss at what the other classes would be, other than monk. They could reinstate the ToB classes, and controller would be the most difficult to come up with.

Probably the non-caster-analog 'oriental' classes. So two strikers (monk and ninja), and samurai as a defender.

(shadow)
I have a harder time envisioning a Shadow-leader.

Sure Hexblade might be redundant in that it could overlap with the Warlock (since it would be all about cursing) and Swordmage, but I think there's plenty of ways to make a class around using curses to be a defender.

As for the other shadow classes, I suspect it would be Shadowcaster (controller) as a necromancer/illusionist and Ninja (striker).

I was thinking the Shadow set would be
striker - Assassin and/or Shadowdancer
defender - hexblade
leader - necromancer
controller - illusionist

and that the hexblade is a bit redundant because it will play a lot like a swordmage or paladin.

Cadfan

First Post
The hexblade is problematic in 4e because the thing that made it good in 3e is out- stacking magical offensive and defensive modifiers like crazy until you have a halfway decent character. But I did love it in spite of (because of?) its underpowered nature, and I'd like to see it redone in 4e.

I was thinking the Shadow set would be
striker - Assassin and/or Shadowdancer
defender - hexblade
leader - necromancer
controller - illusionist

and that the hexblade is a bit redundant because it will play a lot like a swordmage or paladin.
Perhaps Shadow won't have a defender.

I could handle that; we're all looking forward to Shadow for illusion and necromancy anyway.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
You know the one thing I'm kind of lost on is the Basic Set... why are they waiting until November to release this. I mean if the point of 4e was to attract a new market, you'd think this would have been a priority to at least be released before or with the actual core rulebooks.
I asked James Wyatt this exact thing last November. I asked why there wouldn't be a Basic Set at the same time, or even before, the primary set of books. James replied that it was WotC's goal to win over the hard core existing gamers first, then months later an intro set would be considered.

Remove ads