Dragonlance WotC Talks About Dragonlance's Flying Citadel

In a new video from WotC, it is revealed that the adventure in Shadow of the Dragon Queen is the story of the first flying citadel. They also note parallels between the movie Rogue One and the adventure, and call the flying citadel the "Star Destroyer of Dragonlance". [[UPDATE -- WotC appears to have taken down this video]] In the adventure the forces of the dragon queen (Takhisis), led by...

In a new video from WotC, it is revealed that the adventure in Shadow of the Dragon Queen is the story of the first flying citadel. They also note parallels between the movie Rogue One and the adventure, and call the flying citadel the "Star Destroyer of Dragonlance".

[[UPDATE -- WotC appears to have taken down this video]]

In the adventure the forces of the dragon queen (Takhisis), led by Lord Soth, launch a foray into Solamnia to get at a forgotten ruin, The CIty of Lost Names, which is an ancient Istarian flying city.

F. Wesley Schneider says that, like Star Wars, Dragonlance is a setting at war. "There will always be a war". In this story, the characters are in a story as yet untold in Dragonlance, where they are the main motivators who turn the tide of the war.

2E7E0B76-0A81-4AB9-ABF0-F390B967ACF6.jpeg

Above is an image from the upcoming adventure. Below is Keith Parkinson's original Dragonlance flying citadel artwork. You can buy a print of it from his website.

citadel.jpg

According to the Dragonlance wiki:

The Flying Citadels were thought up by Ariakas in the winter of 332 AC, but the knowledge of creating them was already known by wizards and clerics for thousands of years. He envisioned a fleet of flying castles that would destroy any enemy that stood in front of them. The idea though, would take almost 20 years before it was put onto the field of battle. The flying citadels were first put into use on the assault on Kalaman during the Siege of Kalaman. By the end of the war, about a dozen of flying citadels were created. The citadels are commanded by a Flight General, and captained by a Wind Captain.

Flying citadels are created after six months of planning and preparation between a Black Robe Wizard and a Cleric of Takhisis. First engineers or architects find a suitable citadel that would be able to withstand the strain and its suitability as a flying citadel. Laborers for the next six months work uninterrupted with the Wind Captain's Chair and the Wings of Stone are installed. The ritual to raise the flying citadel is performed next, with the mage and cleric acting together in the Wings of Stone chamber. The Wind Captain then takes control, and raises the citadel from the ground and directs it to its next destination.

The outside of a flying citadel looks simply like any castle that was ripped out of the ground, but with a large amount of rock under it for support. The walls and buildings usually suffer some damage in the form of many cracks, but are held in check by the magic, either divine or arcane. Some of the walls don't manage to come with the citadel, and are left on the ground in ruins. There are also barracks in most of the citadels to house about three thousand draconians or human soldiers. The citadel's original Keep is where the Highmaster will make his command center.

The only other room of note is in the lowest portion of the flying citadel. Here, deep in the Keep's dungeon, is where the Wings of Stone can be found. This is needed in order to rip the citadel from the ground, and to keep it afloat.

There are a lot of parallels with Rogue One actually. Aside from those already mentioned, we have a prequel that takes place shortly before the original story being made over 30 years later, featuring second-string heroes without plot armour of invulnerability who can be more morally grey than the originals.

Help us, Obi-wirzand-kenost, your are only our last hope to save the franchise.

c24b51c7475a1477440cc908de2abac1.jpg

Now seriously, Disney should talk with Hasbro for a D&D mash-up version of Star Wars because the best years of the franchises ended time ago. Maybe this new galaxy was created because the planewalker Teferi met Vecna, and the conflict between both using time magic caused a lot of troubles in the space-time continium...and the "dream-plane" where all the fictional worlds created by the collective imagination are real, then... you can't guess what was to happen.

---

If there is a new adaptation of Dragonlance novels, maybe an animated serie, some details could be changed because to keep the right rythm the events can't exactly the same ones.

* Are death dragons a new creature created in this 5Ed? Are they a new bloodline or anything like a monster template?

* Dragonlance has get old wonderfully poor. Now for the standar eyes it has a lot of 80's vibe fantasy, and I like that.

* Have I told you I bought in the middle of the 90's the book of Dragonlance art? It is a little jewel now.

* What if in this new edition Takhisis's army also can use spelljammer/skyships?

Help us, Obi-wirzand-kenost, your are only our last hope to save the franchise.

c24b51c7475a1477440cc908de2abac1.jpg

Now seriously, Disney should talk with Hasbro for a D&D mash-up version of Star Wars because the best years of the franchises ended time ago. Maybe this new galaxy was created because the planewalker Teferi met Vecna, and the conflict between both using time magic caused a lot of troubles in the space-time continium...and the "dream-plane" where all the fictional worlds created by the collective imagination are real, then... you can't guess what was to happen.

---

If there is a new adaptation of Dragonlance novels, maybe an animated serie, some details could be changed because to keep the right rythm the events can't exactly the same ones.

* Are death dragons a new creature created in this 5Ed? Are they a new bloodline or anything like a monster template?

* Dragonlance has get old wonderfully poor. Now for the standar eyes it has a lot of 80's vibe fantasy, and I like that.

* Have I told you I bought in the middle of the 90's the book of Dragonlance art? It is a little jewel now.

* What if in this new edition Takhisis's army also can use spelljammer/skyships?
this is the best thread ever now.

I think they are new to this reimagining and one of the things I can't beleive we don't have threads discussing what it could mean.
oh man the Takhisis empire sounds AMAZING

He allies with Kitiara going by the novels and decides to help out the Dragon Armies though he has his own motivations. As well from the sound of things, he still holds a grudge against Solamnia so he's willing to help with the invasion of that area.
If we're nitpicking lore, he was allied with Kitiara and not the Dragonarmies because she was the only person who survived staying a night in Dargaard Keep iirc. If she's not the focus of this adventure (which it doesn't sound like based on the minis WizKids has up for preorder), I think that's what @DragonBelow was getting at for wondering how or if they explain it.

Personally I highly doubt they'll explain it beyond "grudge against Solamnia", which probably works for most tables.

Remove ads

Remove ads