WoTC to hire new Director of Brand Marketing for D&D

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Well, I specifically mean 5th-edition D&D released (not announced), before September 2013, ie. two years from now :)

Which is a really long time to wait for a bet to be resolved. Put it on your calendar :D

Ahh. I would bet against it being released.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The 40th anniversary edition will be a box set containing a DMG, PHB, and MM from each edition with high-quality leather covers with the original art embroidered in silk. It will be available only in an online auction.

I will bid...$1!!!!

As for the Beta tests, in the past they select testers from the RPGA first, via private mail. If you respond they send the NDA paperwork, after that is in order, you get your stuff. No playtest blogs, no playtest anything...

You play, you keep your mouth shut, you get a credit in the thank you's under playtesters. Occasionally they pick outside of the RPGA, don't hold your breath, and the idea of a public beta just isn't gonna happen.

I found out someone I knew was a playtester for 4e by reading the liner notes... I almost didn't speak to them for a month.

Impeesa

Explorer
I'll go with a location bet. However, and I am not sure if you want to bet on this, I will bet that they will announce in 2013, for release in 2014, some sort of 40th anniversary edition of previous rule sets.

I am envisioning a box set containing four giant V20-style tomes - each one a leather-bound, self-contained snapshot of an entire edition, indeed an entire generation of D&D gaming. It is magnificent.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
* Develop and mentor a team of intermediate and junior level marketer(s)

This last one is most important, so that in four years time when the Director's salary has gotten too big, he/she can be let go and one of the cheaper intermediates can get promoted into his/her place. :D

I kid! I kid! (Kinda.) :lol:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You're actually not far off- it makes good business sense to do so. It encourages consistency and minimizes loss of "corporate knowledge" when the leader leaves.

Companies that don't ask their better employees- at every level- to train others often find that when transitions occur, it will be to their detriment. One of my close friends was fired when they hired his replacement (the company was running with a single person in the position) shortly after he asked for a raise. They soon found out that, though the new hire technically had he skills, he was not as efficient nor had the same depth of knowledge as did my friend. And that knowledge gap cost them time & money.

So they hired him back as a training consultant to educate the new guy...at a higher salary still.

IOW, he was receiving his severance AND a consultant's fee (higher than his salary) for a few months while he trained the new guy. All while paying the new guy and clearing up the delays & overruns caused by my bud's firing. All told, they could have payed several years of my friend's salary at the increase he asked for with the money those months cost them.

Remove ads