• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC: Why Dark Sun Hasn't Been Revived

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era. I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
darksuntrouble-1414371970.jpg

In an interview with YouTuber 'Bob the Worldbuilder', WotC's Kyle Brink explained why the classic Dark Sun setting has not yet seen light of day in the D&D 5E era.

I’ll be frank here, the Dark Sun setting is problematic in a lot of ways. And that’s the main reason we haven’t come back to it. We know it’s got a huge fan following and we have standards today that make it extraordinarily hard to be true to the source material and also meet our ethical and inclusion standards... We know there’s love out there for it and god we would love to make those people happy, and also we gotta be responsible.

You can listen to the clip here.

I never got around to picking this up, but I'd also love to know. It seems like no-one has actually read this book.
I dunno if it's the one, but there was one Dark Sun spiritual successor on KS which was going wildly out of its way to be MORE offensive/problematic than Dark Sun.

nevin

Hero
So there's a different between honest concern, and bad faith concern/concern trolling.

I'm pretty sure WotC is afraid of the latter, here. No-one sane or sensible is going to be mad about fantasy climate change or overthrowing fantasy dictators. But could Fox News or similar stir some nonsense about how "D&D has gone woke" (which, again, silly - it's like saying "Star Trek went woke", when it's like the original "woke" show lol)? Absolutely they could. Would be honestly meant or based on real concerns? Of course not! It would be based on trying to get viewers/clicks/"controversy".

Realistically I think the odds of that happening are extremely low. And even if it did, it'd be easily weathered. But WotC are terrified of any kind of controversy.
I agree. And the last couple of years have depleted thier stock of trust with the playerbase. Nothing that is any kind of risk is coming out for a long time after the few years of misteps.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The problem is, I think WotC ends up in a losing situation regardless:
1) Many existing diehard fans will complain about any changes (and you just know there'll be a cavalcade of "WOKE!" rants).
2) Folks who don't read it thoroughly will complain that, exactly like you said, it promotes the bad thing.
3) Other folks will listen to both groups or either and avoid it as a result.

The potential for it to be an embarrassing sideshow is probably just too high.
This. There's very little upside for the risk. How much money could they even make off this setting? Also, every release in DS is a release they don't make in another setting. There is zero reason for them to release more DS content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads