• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

wotc's 1st to 20th level adventures

morpheous1777

First Post
"warning may contian spoilers"

I was just woundering how many of you have actually used any of the 1st to 20th level adventures:

The sunless citadel
The forge of fury
The speaker in dreams
The standing stone
Heart of nightfang spire
Deep horizon
Lord of the iron fortress
The bastion of broken souls

how did you go about connecting them all together, they give some rough ideas on how to connect them in the adventures
these are the "links" they provided in the adventures (I may have forgotten a few):

(guthias is mentioned in the sunless citadel as the vampire, then he shows up in heart of nightfang spire, also ashalardon is mentioned as the dragon who created the ashen plains)
(in the forge of fury the dwarven blacksmith is mentioned, then he is mentioned agian in another adventure, i cant remember which one though)
(in the standing stone dydd is mentioned as the one who slew ashalardon, and ashalardon was suppossed to have burnt the northern forest)
(in the heart of nightfang spire ashalardens heart was used by the vampire gulthias as his "coffin")
(in lord of the iron fortress ashalardens son tries to restore a powerful sword)
(now in the bastion of broken souls, ashalardon is back somehow, and threatens all of exsistece)
I might have forgotten a few of them

have any of you added on to the story? did you even use these links? apparently all of these adventures happen within a certian area, has anyone came up with a map of the area that encompasses all the adventures? where any of the adventures underpowered/ overpowered?

ps: my spelling and grammer sucks

Phoenix8008

First Post
I have purchased and plan to use all of these adventures. So far in my campaign, we are almost at the end of Speaker in Dreams. So far, the first two are my favorites. Very solid and lots of fun. I have heard that Standing Stone needs a lot of work to fix the inherent problems of the module. Heart of Nightfang Spire is a PC meatgrinder, while Deep Horizon is pretty good I've heard. I haven't heard much on the last two as far as peoples experiences in play.

SPOILERS!!!

A couple between module links that you missed:
1. The slain dwarven master-smith in 'Forge of Fury' is one of the links in Lord of the Iron Fortress as the dwarves try to raise him and can't get his spirit back because it's working for the bad guy reforging the sword.
2. Dydd from the standing stone is also a key figure in the 'Bastion of Broken Souls' adventure. One of the PC's is supposed to be his descendant and helps alot to kill Ashardalon.

'Speaker' and 'Deep Horizon' don't have any links to the others that I've seen on a casual perusal.

As for links I used to get my PC's into the modules, I'll tell you what I've used so far.

Sunless Citadel- Standard townspeople beging for help to search for their relatives.

Forge of Fury- Had the bad guys forging 'fake weapons' that were slowly being substituted for the real weapons of local guards. These blades were fine until in combat they would snap and break. They started showing up and PC's got sent to find the makers of them. Also, they were following the trail of one PC's kidnapped family who were slaves in the forge. The dragoin at the end escaped and fled north(she will show up later!).

Speaker in Dreams- More family trouble with one sibling captured and being traded in ransom. This just got them into the city so that all the other stuff could start.

Standing Stone- After the PC's save the King(changed this from the module where it is just a baron) in 'Speaker', he takes them into his service and sends them to investigate reports of people dissapearing up north(from the stuff happening in this module and the dragon/vampire in the next module). They should stop and do this module before continuing north in their investigation.

Heart of Nightfang Spire- Continuation of above. Vampire Gulthias is rebuilding undead cult and now has undead dragon from 'Forge' to help. PC's that beat this will get title and lands from the king. ("Okay, you pacified that area, now it's yours to deal with.")

Deep Horizon- As soon as the PC's start getting bored with castle building, the earthquakes start. This opens a rift that leads down to the adventure site.

Lord of the Iron Fortress- PC's approached by old NPC friends who are re-inhabiting the Forge of Fury. They have tried to Raise the dwarven master smith, but can't. Lots of other blacksmiths are also dissapearing(They can't get one for their castle either!).
PC's investigate.

Bastion of Broken souls- Rumors of Ashardalon(which one of my PC's has some family history with) and lots of still births that are unexplained lead them to investigate and get into this one.

I have a map of the kingdom where most of these happen in my campaign, but it's not scanned or online. You can pretty much put them wherever you want though. It's not that restrictive.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the long essay! :D

BluWolf

Explorer
I bought Sunless citadel with the PHB and the DMG when they came out. Then we all sat down and used that module to learn the new edition. I really enjoyed that module. I thought it was a really well written low level intro adventure.

Then I bought Forge of Fury. Man that was terrible. I didn't look at any of the other ones after that.

In our other campaign (where I play rather than DM) I know we are going through a HIGHLY modified version of the Bastion of Broken souls.

Our DM has voiced several misgivings about the module but he seems to have had enough to work with.

Victim

First Post
I really like the Heart of Nightfang SPire, which our group just finished. It's pretty tough though.

The hook that got us involved (we haven't run through sunless citadel) was that the undead attacked our fort while we were away and dragged off all the workers. We tracked them back to Spire.

Remove ads