• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC's hesitation on tackling the feat tax.

Dice4Hire

First Post
That is part of my problem withteh new feat tax feats. Now, instead of jsut being goodto close holes, they are some of the best feats in the game..

Staff Expertisse is the poster child for this. Most mages would take this even if not for the potentiaol +3 to hit.

And the defense feat are also too good. Bonuses against ongoing damage and stun/daze. The most deadly things in the game? Sure, why not?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
The answer is unquestionably simple; they don't actually play the game so they don't think there's a problem.

Rechan

Adventurer
I for one just don't take any "and a +1 here" feats. I have been guilty of taking backstabber and exotic weapon to get Brutal weapons (both typically translate to a +1 to damage really) but still.

Generally I like those fun feats. I took Surprising Charge for a rogue and it completely altered the way I was playing the rogue in question - he was built as a charging attacker.

Eh, the OLD ones were WORSE. You got nothing but a boring +1/2/3 to-hit. At least now you get some kind of choice of something else. Remember, you DO have a choice of which Expertise to take. Same with the defense feats, there are some choices to make. Granted it means you have a choice of a very limited set of feats with only a few effects, but that's better than one that does nothing except add some number to some other number.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Eh, the OLD ones were WORSE. You got nothing but a boring +1/2/3 to-hit. At least now you get some kind of choice of something else. Remember, you DO have a choice of which Expertise to take. Same with the defense feats, there are some choices to make. Granted it means you have a choice of a very limited set of feats with only a few effects, but that's better than one that does nothing except add some number to some other number.
Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about it, too. This is why, for me, it's extra disappointing when they bring out a new expertise feat, and the extra benefit is awful. Choosing between boring and awful isn't much fun.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
But if no one in the group takes Expertise/Improved Defenses, isn't everybody as effective as everybody else?

Actually, not with regard to accuracy.

Take a Slayer with a 20 starting Str, Berserker's Charge is +3 on a charge, Poised Assault is +1 to melee basic attacks.

Most players do not start with a 20 starting ability score, but it almost makes sense to just do it for a Slayer.

So, a Slayer can easily be +9 or +11 to hit at first level (+10/+12 with Expertise).

A typical implement user is often +4 to hit at level one.

AC is typically only +2 greater than other defenses. Sure, most monsters have a somewhat lower defense somewhere, but the implement user has to figure out which one it is AND he has to have that type of attack.

Even if an implement user has the same 20 starting ability score, is Human, takes Accuracy and Expertise, the Slayer still often has a better chance to hit (+10/+12 vs. +7) and if also Human, the Slayer has a feat left to spare (assuming he takes that option).

garyh

First Post
What gets me about the feat tax answer is that they say you can house rule it. But the online builder still doesn't support houseruled extra feats...

Grydan

First Post
What gets me about the feat tax answer is that they say you can house rule it. But the online builder still doesn't support houseruled extra feats...

While I agree that it's frustrating that the builder doesn't support houserules, and will applaud the day they fix that oversight, is that particular one all that hard to deal with?

I've got my character sheet and a pencil and two minutes, and voila, I've house-ruled in a bonus feat and adjusted all of the appropriate attacks up by 1 (and probably doodled all around the edges of my sheet to kill the remaining time).

garyh

First Post
While I agree that it's frustrating that the builder doesn't support houserules, and will applaud the day they fix that oversight, is that particular one all that hard to deal with?

I've got my character sheet and a pencil and two minutes, and voila, I've house-ruled in a bonus feat and adjusted all of the appropriate attacks up by 1 (and probably doodled all around the edges of my sheet to kill the remaining time).

Well, I do most of my gaming Play By Post, so I can't just make notes on a printout, as my DM has his copy of my info as well. And how much of a pain it is varies from feat to feat. Rod Expertise also grants +1 AC and Reflex, so add that, too. Bow Expertise adds a damage bonus against isolated creatures, make sure you note that, etc.

It's a pain, it's silly that it's been almost a year with the new CB and they haven't resolved it, and it's highlighted even moreso when they tell us we can add house rule feats to fix math errors. It shows a disconnect within WotC, as if the designers don't use the CB to realize this doesn't work or something.

Remove ads