• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC's Yuan-Ti vs. Your Yuan-Ti

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Here it is.

Normally, they're getting things mostly right (if going a little less far than I would) with these monster articles, but with THIS one, I think James Wyatt got it wrong.

Specifically, I think he got it backwards.

In Yuan-ti society as I see it, the most humanlike (the "purebloods") should be the leaders, the commanders, the most powerful. They are the elites, the chosen, the special. They are nobles. They are this way because they are the most human, yet their souls are sworn to their dark serpent gods. They are assassins and infiltrators, manipulators and poisoners, able to pass among other societies, and for that, they are special and chosen. Their psychic powers of emotional manipulation are at their best when manipulating the leaders and champions of other nations.

See, to me, the yuan-ti aren't so much humans who want to become snake-like as they are snake-like beings that want to become more human. They are the alien who lives among us, the betrayal long plotted. Thus, abominations are not the elite of the race, they are the bodyguards, the grunts, the dumb muscle. They are failed experiments in humanity, rejects fit only for their physical powers. That's part of why their bodies are so variable: they are the mutant horrors born of failed experiments. The serpent is patient and cunning, not overwhelmingly powerful. Those sacks of scales and meat are not elites.

To me, the multifaceted mutation of the species is part of its appeal and its variety: the fact that different appendages could be snakelike or humanlike gave weight to the archetype of a changable, variable enemy, whose body was unsettlingly mutant. The unsettling mish-mash of human and serpent parts implied that these creatures were not fully either, though they struggled in between them both.

I think that each encounter with the yuan-ti should drive home that element of something hidden an alien. It should cause a sudden, visceral fear, like suddenly waking up covered in slithering snakes -- something you thought was safe suddenly is not. That person you've been trusting, they aren't who you think they are, they never have been, and what's more, everything they are seeks to undo you.

I don't think "abomination" is a praise word and "pureblood" is a disdainful term. I think that yuan-ti WANT to be human-like. They seek that end. The mutations are what stand in their way. It is the best and most powerful manipulators who are the leaders of my yuan-ti, and those are invariably those most human-like, whose arts are subtle, and whose alien nature is well-concealed.

I want my monsters monstrous, and in the case of the yuan-ti, less is more: the more human-like they are, the more unsettling they become, and thus the more powerful they should be. I don't think yuan-ti need to be RARG OBVIOUS MONSTER. They especially benefit from being first and foremost an Interaction challenge, and later, when the minions are called in, a combat challenge.

That's me, though. What about you?

Stormonu

Legend
I have to completely disagree. I've always seen Yuan-ti as humans drawn to snake-worship and the bizarre desire to become more serpentine. Much like the Sith of Star Wars, the original serpent race is dead or sterile and incapable of procreation. Perhaps the snake-like gods live on, but their own race died out. To not only survive but to thrive, these gods needs "fresh blood" - and have found it in humans who seek their gifts of snakish immortality and freedom from strifeful emotions - instead, to be driven by pure, cold instinct.

Among the worshippers is a culture that sees humanity as new and weak. In their eyes serpent-kind have been here long before humanity and they believe it will be here after humanity self-destructs. Those becoming Yuan-ti simply are picking what they think is the winning side.

slobster

Hero
I have to completely disagree. I've always seen Yuan-ti as humans drawn to snake-worship and the bizarre desire to become more serpentine. Much like the Sith of Star Wars, the original serpent race is dead or sterile and incapable of procreation. Perhaps the snake-like gods live on, but their own race died out. To not only survive but to thrive, these gods needs "fresh blood" - and have found it in humans who seek their gifts of snakish immortality and freedom from strifeful emotions - instead, to be driven by pure, cold instinct.

Among the worshippers is a culture that sees humanity as new and weak. In their eyes serpent-kind have been here long before humanity and they believe it will be here after humanity self-destructs. Those becoming Yuan-ti simply are picking what they think is the winning side.

I agree, this is a great explanation for yuan-ti as I see them.

Yuan-ti in my games also despise the warm-blooded races, including the very cultists that form their power base in the modern, post serpent-kingdom world. They know on some level that they have to rely on mammal cultists and half-breeds to survive and someday reclaim their former glory, but they are so twisted and xenophobic and just plain insane that they hate them nonetheless. On some level they even hate themselves for having degenerated to the point where they need to resort to such measures. In this context, half-breed and other yuan-ti that can pass for human are among the most useful, and paradoxically among the most despised and mistrusted, of the yuan-ti.

It's always given them a unique, crazed flavor that makes them completely unpredictable in my games. It's an ethos that is the product of minds so twisted that its turned on itself and produced a whole society of treacherous, hateful sociopaths.

And who knows, maybe that pleases their gods in its own mad way.

john112364

First Post
Their background has always been humans who want to be snakes. The more snake like you are the higher your status is. I'm afraid you have this one backwards.

Stormonu

Legend
Also, another Yuan-ti breed to consider (a late-comer anyways) in the family - the Histachii. It appeared in 2E and hasn't been very popular, but it's a part of Yuan-ti lore. I wish we'd gotten to see more use out of them, because they are like the zombies of the serpent world.

They are, essentially, a way turn PCs (or other NPCs near-and-dear to the PCs) into mindless, raving monsters. Talk about a fate worse than death...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
In either Dwellers of the Forbidden City or the Monster Manual 2 in the 1e AD&D days, neither source is clear about yuan-ti society pecking order. That, however, got cleared up in the 2e Monstrous Compendium with abominations at the top of the order. I understand that the names of the social strata connote meanings contrary to their places in society, but they are being put in their correct places, more or less.

This is really not like the drider situation in which the significance of the monster really was reversed.

pemerton

Legend
That's me, though. What about you?
I like your take on yuan-ti from the point of view of the players. But I think there is something to what others are saying (and what Wyatt) says about the point of view of the yuan-ti themselves.

What I would like to pull off in a yuan-ti scenario would be to convey both (i) that the yuan-ti are mad serpent worshippers whose adoration is greatest for the most serpentine among them, and (ii) that the real engine of yuan-ti society and conquest is those who are most human, and hence that the real threat they pose is in virtue of their humanity rather than their serpentness - for all the reasons that you (KM) give.

This would give a type of ironic twist to the yuan-ti's self-conception, whilst still preserving them as an insidious threat, which seems an appropriate effect to derive from using elder-god worshipping serpent people in one'e game.

Now whether I could actually pull off what I describe above is another matter! RPGs are not always a medium well-suited to subtlety.

Yora

Legend
Also, another Yuan-ti breed to consider (a late-comer anyways) in the family - the Histachii. It appeared in 2E and hasn't been very popular, but it's a part of Yuan-ti lore. I wish we'd gotten to see more use out of them, because they are like the zombies of the serpent world.

They are, essentially, a way turn PCs (or other NPCs near-and-dear to the PCs) into mindless, raving monsters. Talk about a fate worse than death...
Aren't they the Broodguard from Monsters of Faerûn and effectively also the Wretchlings from Secrets of Xendrik?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads