• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC's Yuan-Ti vs. Your Yuan-Ti

gyor

Legend
Yeah in FR the Yaun-Ti were created from by Sarruhk from a mix if thier own blood, humans, and seperpents for scarifice and service. So yeah WOTC got it right, except they should have mentioned the variant castes as well.

So, putting it all together:

1) The Cult of the Yuan Ti itself considers snakes the highest form of their "evolution", and the Abonimations are seen as the rulers.

2) Practically speaking, their "highest forms" typically live isolated from humans, unless there is open warfare going on. Having almost humanoid people manipulating human empires is too big of an advantage to give up, so "Pure Bloods" actually hold a lot of sway in the Yuan-Ti Empire, because they control the information flow and manipulate the Yuan-Ti enemies.

3) In the past, the sect of the Yuan-Ti was weak and probably persecuted. "Pureblooded" Yuan-Ti may have been those that were considered redeemable by their persecuters, but the physical most powerful/transformed of the Yuan-Ti were deemed abominations (called that by the persecuters) to be killed on sight.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The lack of mention of anathemas was disappointing.

Anathema are cool. One DM I knew channeled Corba Commander through one. Interesting experience.

john112364

First Post
For me, at least, the question then becomes: what's more terrifying to you, a person who does an evil thing, or an evil thing that looks exactly like a normal person?

To me, the horror of the yuan-ti is the same horror you experience when you see a snake next to your ankle: that rock, that twig, that blade of grass was hiding something deadly and dangerous, and you didn't know until it was too late. For the yuan-ti, that's the pureblood, who as the masterminds and plotters of the yuan-ti, keep their motives hidden until your vision is suddenly going blurry and that barkeep's eyes take on a slightly yellow tinge and are those fangs in his smile?

Clearly, I'm a bit of an outlier this time, though. ;)

Actually, I like your take on them. I was just pointing out that prior descriptions don't match your version. It could work either way. It all comes down to how you fluff them, I guess.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I have never heard of Anathemas before. What's the source? They sound interesting.

I believe it was in the Fiend Folio.

Anathema are large yuan-ti with a snake tail lower body, clawed arms, and multiple snake heads OR a swarm of snakes connected to a giant snake head wiggling in the form of an abomination.

delericho

Legend
Dragon #151 had "The Ecology of the Yuan-ti". I'm not sure if that was the first version of that article (that was just after I started reading). And, sure enough, it states that te Yuan-ti were originally a human snake-cult who sought to become snake-like, and also that it is the Abominations who sit on the top of their society.

I believe that article also introduced the histachii, by the way...

Stormonu

Legend
The lack of mention of anathemas was disappointing.

Anathema are cool. One DM I knew channeled Corba Commander through one. Interesting experience.

I'd forgotten about these bad boys, and I agree they should show up in 5E. However, as far as how they fit into the caste system for yuan-ti, I'd wonder if they'd be outside the system, kind of like the Neogi Great Old Ones - prehaps thought of having gone "too far" into a sort of demigod or "corrupted" state.

Kamakazie, what do you think of the yuan-ti going both ways; there having been an original true race of yuan-ti, who early in humanity's timeline sought to infilitrate the "two-legs", and who now mostly bolster their ranks with an influx of humans. You could then have cults where humans are attempting to become snakes or "true" yuan-ti doing the reverse, and once the cult reaches a certain mass, it begins reversing direction. Small cults might disguise themselves with a cloak of humanity, while a strong, growing cult might embrace it serpentine perfection. Talk about madness...

KidSnide

Adventurer
Specifically, I think he got it backwards.

In Yuan-ti society as I see it, the most humanlike (the "purebloods") should be the leaders, the commanders, the most powerful. They are the elites, the chosen, the special. They are nobles. They are this way because they are the most human, yet their souls are sworn to their dark serpent gods. They are assassins and infiltrators, manipulators and poisoners, able to pass among other societies, and for that, they are special and chosen. Their psychic powers of emotional manipulation are at their best when manipulating the leaders and champions of other nations.

I too need to spread xp. I think I agree with the majority view in this thread that the article captures the intent of the original Yuan-Ti, but I think your version is more interesting than the standard "more snake is more powerful" interpretation of the race. If WotC was to create a new game world, I would love to see them incorporate your take on the race.

As an aside, D&DN could be well served with a Mutable Monsters Manual that included tons of rules for modifying monsters as well as alternate takes on standard monsters that could be an inspiration for world building.

-KS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads