Would a typical D&D town allow adventurers to walk around?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Not so! Adventurers are not made of finer clay than other mortal men. What one man can do another may emulate equally well.

In the real world, it's not that simple. There's many people who try to be the next Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods, Albert Einstein or Kurt Gödel, but not many people who even come close. In a lot of fantasy worlds, you either have the magical spark or you don't; Dudley could never have made it at Hogwarts. In a D&D setting, I wouldn't find it at all unreasonable to think that you have to be born with a certain something to take a level in a PC class.

Zaran

Adventurer
Think of the American Wild West. When it was common for a gunfighter to come into town people avoided them, the sheriff asked for their weapons, barber's hands shook when they tried to give them shaves.

When it was rare, people might give them the benefit of the doubt.

Halivar

First Post
Think of the American Wild West. When it was common for a gunfighter to come into town people avoided them, the sheriff asked for their weapons, barber's hands shook when they tried to give them shaves.

When it was rare, people might give them the benefit of the doubt.
This is largely mythical. The "Wild" West was not nearly as violent as we romanticize it to be. Carrying guns into town was routine and universal. Shooting in the streets, of course, would be very much illegal.

Now, larger, more cosmopolitan cities like Dodge City and Wichita actually had stricter guns laws than we do today, but I feel these are models that fit squarely outside of any medieval context.

Zaran

Adventurer
This is largely mythical. The "Wild" West was not nearly as violent as we romanticize it to be. Carrying guns into town was routine and universal. Shooting in the streets, of course, would be very much illegal.

Now, larger, more cosmopolitan cities like Dodge City and Wichita actually had stricter guns laws than we do today, but I feel these are models that fit squarely outside of any medieval context.

Don't we want the game to be mythical and romanticized?

Remove ads