• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would handing your party 1,000 gp at character creation break your game?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I love the spyglass. But in 5e it's a 1,000 gp device. There aren't really any rules that explain that cost. Per DnDBeyond, the spyglass just enlarges objects to twice their size. That's not overly powerful. Certain backgrounds might make sense to start with a spyglass -- Sailor/Pirate (though they don't), Navigator (unofficial), Astronomer (Sage variant?), and my own Caravanserai.

The only reason to not give a spyglass is because of the money. Even in a no-magic-shop world you can still boost the party with significant armor upgrades if your character doesn't care about their background. I try to get around this by suggesting that it is an heirloom, handed down from the family (of choice or blood, whatever).

Still, there are those who min/max starting equipment.

How big a deal would this be at your table?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't run 5e, but if I did, I'd absolutely be willing to hand out stuff like this, if it sparks the player's interest. A beloved item is at no risk of being sold off, and if the player is considering selling it off, I've done a bad job of giving them what they want to begin with. (Or they're being abusive, which is the real problem, not the selling of the spyglass.)

This is the kind of thing where "rulings not rules" should be front and center. Sadly, I find this is where DMs are often major sticklers, while making the parts that players need to rely on for making sound decisions incredibly free-wheeling and even unpredictable. This pattern frustrates me deeply.

Ace

Adventurer
A spyglass won't break the game. Its not that powerful. If the player's get super clever with it, good. Clever players, better game. Of course my players know if I gave them something like this, its a plot related item, an heirloom, a macguffin of some kind . It keeps them on their toes.

As for an even grand in GP ? Of course not. I'm the GM and can always jigger encounters a little to deal with a sudden power boost.

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Even if I gave them 1000gp in hand and made all shops available, it wouldn't be broken in my games. Worse case scenario? The characters have better armor. Its rare for the starting location to have magic items in my campaign and any items I end up displaying won't break the game when bought so 1,000gp or 1,000,000gp to start won't mean anything more than maybe roleplay stuff (which is easily balanced).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads