• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would handing your party 1,000 gp at character creation break your game?

hopeless

Adventurer
Can it count as a trinket?
Will it be a family heirloom one the character shouldn't sell and if they try will be arrested and jailed for carrying something that by all rights they shouldn't be carrying?
I'd make it a plot point and make it very important with it not being able to be sold so the PCs won't benefit from the sale as it should be more trouble than its worth and whoever's trinket it is will be in serious trouble if they do try to do that.
How have you handled it if you included this?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
even more so in 5e's wealth-stingy environment.
1625824028335.jpeg

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
After checking, it seems my latest group of 14th level people have so few magical items and gold ( <10k for the group) it would have been no big deal at all.

jgsugden

Legend
No. Giving your PCs a Legendary Item at character creation, each, will not break the game. Change it? Sure. But you can still have a fun game if your 1st level PCs are walking around with Efreeti Chain, a Sunsword, a Ring of Invisibility, and a Cubic Gate. I've given a PC an artifact during character creation. They did not know it was an artifact, but they could easily discover it was at any time, and then figure out how to use it.

D&D is not fragile. It is a story telling game and you can tell a lot of very different stories. If the PCs start out with 1000 GP during character creation it will not even have that much of an impact - they might buy a few potions, better armor, and/or a few magic items - but nothing world breaking.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
No, it wouldn't break the game.

Because you'd give them all 1,000 gp to start.

And then you'd make everything 10,000x more expensive.

When the players question this, you'd explain that in this campaign world, the dark and evil Vecna's Invisible Hand cast the terrible Invoked Devastation and Rain of Colorless Inflation, devastating the poor freeholders.

ECONOMICS FTW!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads