Would hunter's mark dmg to beast attacks be too op or more balanced?

Thateous

Explorer
I'm set on playing a lazy beastmaster who's pet does all the work. If hunter's mark's additional damage counted for beast attacks would the beastmaster more in line with other classes in terms of dpr.

Any assistance on what beast would be best for such a set up would also be appreciated. Looking for a versatile beast.

This Beastmaster sounds less like a Ranger and more like a Pokemon Trainer. :p

While I'm a math guy, I'm surprisingly not a D&D Math guy; so I couldn't really tell you how allowing Hunter's Mark to work with the beast attacks would affect DPR and balance.

Btw, what race is the Beastmaster? If Halfling or Gnome, you could use a Medium beast as a mount. Ain't nothing lazier than never having to walk on your own once you hit 3rd level. :p

Edit: In terms of which beast to pick, Wolf is the best choice in terms of versatility. The Panther might have more damage potential, but the situational use of Pounce is outweighed by the always-on advantage granted by Pack Tactics. If you're riding the Wolf, then it always gets Pack Tactics.

Last edited:

faria

First Post
I did the math in another thread. It would be unbalanced because certain pets (Giant Poisonous Snake for example) already out damage Beastmaster significantly, even with Hunter's Mark up...

Assuming 18 STR, Longsword and Shield, Dueling style, and Hunter's Mark up. 1d8+4+2+1d6 = ~14 damage. vs Giant Poisonous Snake 1d4+4+3d6(/2) = ~17(12). The 3d6 is poison that can be saved for half damage, hence the parentheses. Don't forget though, that Beastmaster get to add their Proficiency bonus to pet damage too... So 17(12)+2 = minimum 14 damage with the potential to do more if poison isn't saved against. Plus, Proficiency bonus scales so it will go up even more. You get the idea.

For the previous thread that goes more in depth, just Google "Small size Beastmaster guide".

famousringo

First Post
there was a spell in some thing that let your pet do more damage. Elemental evil I think.

Beast Bond. Basically gives your pet advantage, but you have to be in melee for it to be effective.

I agree with Darkstar that wolf is probably the most rounded choice. But don't bother with Beast Bond since Pack Tactics already grants advantage.

IMO, worry less about DPR as a beastmaster. It's mostly a tank/battlefield control class. Recommend defensive style, sword and board and Sentinel feat. That'll punish enemies who pick on your fuzzy buddy. Consider a dip in wizard to get Mage Armor for your pet unless there's already a wizard in the party willing to cast it.

famousringo

First Post
Would sentinel be better than mounted combat for protecting my beastie if i do decide to go small and ride it?
Mounted Combatant definitely provides better protection. The advantage of Sentinel is that you can also protect others, you aren't restricted to small races, and your damage output goes up from the added opportunity attacks.

But if you want to be small, Mounted Combatant is a great choice, too. More reliable for keeping your pet safe.

RCanine

First Post
Were I to house rule one thing about beast master, it's that rangers could get the protection fighting style. Were I to house rule a second thing, it would be that Beastial Fury and other BM stuff used the attack action, rather than a custom thing.

DPR-wise, I put together a spreadsheet about BM damage and survivability here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhfmtOXkChw5Gs0F-UsZg6KdEuHYyPApw3JzKOrsRvs/edit#gid=0

TL;dr, a lazy beast master is going to want a Flying Snake or Giant Poisonous snake, because they combine the best amount of survivability with damage. Bonus poison damage really inflates DPR against creatures not immune to it, snakes' high dex gives them the best AC, and both snakes have a defensive ability as well (flyby and reach respectively).

I think people overvalue prone in 5e, and beasts have such a high attack bonus that the beast bond spell is a bit overkill and a waste of a concentration slot.

Playing a lazy beast master, your real challenge will be creatures immune to normal weapons; your beast doesn't have an answer for that.

famousringo

First Post
Playing a lazy beast master, your real challenge will be creatures immune to normal weapons; your beast doesn't have an answer for that.

I guess that's a good argument for the auto-grappling beasts. They can still control what they can't hurt as long as it isn't huge, and unlike the prone beasts, they aren't stuck with the same low save DC for their whole career.

Remove ads