Would multiple Acid Arrows stack...

Staffan

Legend
Rashak Mani said:
Wow, I thought it was per round... but just checked the DMG... it is for each attack.
You were probably thinking of the 3.0 rules, where elemental resistance was per round. 3.5e made it per attack, and made it slightly harder to get as well as having generally lower values.

hong

WotC's bitch
Sigh.

"Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

mhd

Adventurer
hong said:
"Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

Taken out of context.

"Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves.
More generally, two bonuses of the same type don't stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above)."

Your quote is a sub-heading below that one, so we're talking about the usual bonuses/maluses, not damage effects. Melf hurts, two Melfs hurt more.

The Souljourner

First Post
Agreed. Stacking as a game concept *only* applies to bonuses. Yes, two effects of a spell don't work at the same time, but that's in the case of things like slow or haste. Damage is always cumulative. Always. Otherwise, getting hit by two fireballs at exactly the same time wouldn't hurt twice as much, and it definitely should.

-The Souljourner

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Well, let me get out my rules-lawyer anal-retentive hat and say that in DnD, two things can't happen at the same time.

Now let me take it off and say that I agree 100%

-Tatsu

Scion

First Post
Tatsukun said:
Well, let me get out my rules-lawyer anal-retentive hat and say that in DnD, two things can't happen at the same time.

Now let me take it off and say that I agree 100%

-Tatsu

necklace of fireballs, it uses the word 'simultaneously' ;) which generally means 'at the same time'

lol.. but I know what you mean.

but two melfs will definately hurt you twice as much, more or less.

hong

WotC's bitch
The Souljourner said:
Agreed. Stacking as a game concept *only* applies to bonuses.

Nobody is talking about "stacking" anything, except those who have misunderstood the question. The rule in question doesn't talk about stacking, bonuses, or penalties at all. It's a general rule for the general situation: like effects overlap.

Yes, two effects of a spell don't work at the same time, but that's in the case of things like slow or haste. Damage is always cumulative. Always.

Do you let being hit by two cloudkills drain twice as much Con?

How about being caught in two acid fogs?

Two incendiary clouds?

Otherwise, getting hit by two fireballs at exactly the same time wouldn't hurt twice as much, and it definitely should.

"Instantaneous effects: Two or more spells with instantaneous durations work cumulatively when they affect the same target." -- PHB p.172.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
mhd said:
Taken out of context.

The rule that says you need room to move for a Reflex save is under the Evasion description.

The rule that says magic items produce spell-like effects is under item saving throws.

The rule that says you can use two crossbows is under the crossbow description, not in the combat chapter.

Your quote is a sub-heading below that one, so we're talking about the usual bonuses/maluses, not damage effects.

When it comes to the D&D rules, context is meaningless.

Melf hurts, two Melfs hurt more.

Point me to where it says that two Melfs hurt more.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Plane Sailing said:
No, you have to produce an appropriate counter argument to why it should not.

"In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

If the intent of that rule was to do only with bonus types stacking, it would say so. The language is general, and so it applies to the general situation.

You haven't so far.

This thread is rapidly approaching dinosaur status.

Remove ads