• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would the sabre be unbalanced?

Simm

First Post
Would introducing the sabre from d20 modern's Urban Arcana into a D&D game unbalanced as a martial weapon? as an exotic weapon? In Urban Arcana it is a Archaic weapon which is equivelent to a D&D martial weapon.

Dam: 1d8
crit: 19-20
type: slashing, piercing
Special: +1 equipment bonus to hit and damage if mounted.

If it was exotice I would probably count it as basket hilted and give the wielder +2 on check to resist disarmament.

Laman Stahros

First Post
comrade raoul said:
I think it's a little too good, since it's straightforwardly better than the longsword. Consider lowering the crit to x2.
Based on the stats in the FRCS, it has a crit mult of x2. D20 Modern does not use crit mults. Otherwise it is the same as the longsword.

starwed

First Post
Or, y'know, just make it more expensive.
What, like thousands of gold more expensive? Because anything else isn't going to deter PC's from preferring it in the least.

I'd either lower the crit range, or knock damage down to 1d6.

Nadaka

First Post
Laman Stahros said:
Based on the stats in the FRCS, it has a crit mult of x2. D20 Modern does not use crit mults. Otherwise it is the same as the longsword.

d20 modern does use critical multipliers...

Will

First Post
I would honestly use a scimitar straight. While a scimitar isn't exactly the same as a sabre... they're pretty darn similar in function.

I would not give them any particular benefit on horse-back; that's taking their historical use a bit too literally. I mean, I think scimitars were also used by a lot of mounted warriors in history.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Simm said:
Would introducing the sabre from d20 modern's Urban Arcana into a D&D game unbalanced as a martial weapon? as an exotic weapon? In Urban Arcana it is a Archaic weapon which is equivelent to a D&D martial weapon.

Honestly, drop the mounted bonus a bit. Either drop the damage or drop the attack bonus (you already get a bonus for elevation, usually, so I'd say drop the attack bonus).
Either way it won't matter much, as most characters don't do mounted combat and that's the only place this is better. Call it 20 gp because you can slash or stab and that should do it.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Simm said:

If it was exotice I would probably count it as basket hilted and give the wielder +2 on check to resist disarmament.

Personally, I'd make it exotic with the bonus to resist disarm... feels about right to me? Get 3 minor bonuses that way - 2 damage types, bonus while mounted and the resist disarms...

Either that or just straight out use the scimitar or longsword stats. Simply describe it differently.

Remove ads