D&D 5E Would this fix Champion?

DaedalusX51

Explorer
You can't fix a sub-class that lacks anything meaningful other than DPR by raising (or lowering) it's DPR.

Well you can make it not be incompetent at its only job. However, I also understand that there is a portion of the playerbase that want it to do more on a round per round basis. Maybe Satyrn is right that we need to look at creating an additional subclass to fill that niche instead of reworking the Champion. Increasing the Champions DPR wouldn't hurt either.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You actually haven't replied to any of my issues or ideas. You just state that I am wrong. So this is just you bullying me.

If you make a blatantly false claim and someone points out how it's not true, that is not bullying. Seriously, what is with this attitude where there is absolutely no personal accountability? You have the right to say what you want, but you do not have the right for your incorrect claims to be taken as fact by everyone else and if they point out how they are not true they are the bad person.

"This doesn't exist."
"yes it does, right here."
"Stop bullying me! Where is your human decency!"

It is recommended for 6-8 encounters per day with at least 2 short rests. That is supposed to be the balancing point for resources in 5E. The Battle Master needs to basically never get a short rest to ever give the Champion a chance to catch up to it in damage alone.
Right. Assuming things like the battle master always using all of their dice or damage not being "wasted" on an injured creature or one immune to damage. And being able to attack every single round, not being unconscious or stunned or far away from enemies.

In the perfect balanced world of game theory, the champion lags behind the battle master in terms of damage, dealing and average of 9 fewer points of damage betweeneach short rest.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well you can make it not be incompetent at its only job.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The champion is not incompetent at fighting. Not even close. This is blatant hyperbole that isn't remotely accurate, and your response so far is to accuse me of being an indecent bully for pointing this out. I don't know who you are, or why you have a dormant account that you just now decided to use in a troll-bait thread, but you do not get to say ridiculous things like this and act like everyone else should just accept them as truth or they are the bad person. Especially when your statements aren't true. You're the one making inaccurate hyperbolic claims here, not me, so stop blaming me and take ownership for your own words.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well the problem that I am personally having (not speaking for anyone else in this thread) is that the Champion and Battle Master are just representations of the 2E and 4E Fighters respectively.
I certainly see the 2e fighter's crazy DPR reflected in the Champion (if not the style that got it there, quite so much). The BM falls so far short of the 4e PH1 Fighter, it's sad. It's not too far off the downgraded Essentials take, though.

It seems they entirely left out the 3E Fighter gameplay style. Where you had always available combat options by having a bunch of combat feats to tailor your Fighter.
Yes! I'm glad someone else has noticed. I understand that the 3e fighter suffered by comparison to the wildly overpowered casters of that edition, but the design, itself, was elegant & customizeable, and the characters you could build with it so much more varied interesting that what you could do with the 2e & earlier fighter (even with kits).

This is all ignoring the fact that the Champion is mechanically sub par at the only thing it can actually do, damage. I don't think Wizards did that on purpose and I'm assuming the Champion was created during the playtest when critical hits were max damage plus extra damage die and were never looked at again when the rule was changed.
I guess that's somewhat plausible.

How about the fact that all 3E Fighters would start with at least 2 feats giving them gameplay options right out of the gate, while you have to start as a variant Human or wait until level 4 in 5E to do so.
To be fair, you do get a Style choice right off.

In addition, there are no Fighter only feats in 5E.
Aslo, to be fair, the only fighter-only feat in 3e was specialization. It wasn't so much the unique feats as the sheer number - more than double the usual.

Superiority Dice resource system of the Battle Master. It feels too much like a 4E Player's Handbook Fighter to me.

See for me 4E Essentials was almost the perfect Fighter. Always on abilities and tactical choices every round.
Wow. To me, the BM feels nothing like the 4e PH1 Fighter, but does feel a bit like the Essentials Knight (just without the defender role support) or, perhaps, Slayer, thanks to the DPR. No dailies, no at-wills, very little choice in what it can do with it's 'encounters.'

Maybe Satyrn is right that we need to look at creating an additional subclass to fill that niche instead of reworking the Champion. Increasing the Champions DPR wouldn't hurt either.
IMHO, what's really needed is a full class that's not locked into DPR as primary function (thus, doesn't have a sub-class, like the Champion, for whom it is sole significant function).

And increasing the Champion's DPR would hurt (no, not just the monsters), it'd eventually make it 'overpowered' - long before it would make up for what the Champion lacks in other areas. It's an untenable design, in that sense.

Supposedly it exists for new players as a sort of 'training wheels' option, and for players who just want a very simple character. Why it's assumed those players only ever want to pay fighters is, presumably, because that's been the only such option in the past.

smbakeresq

Explorer
For the Champion, I took some attack names and stuff from 4e for each weapon type and reworked them as "feats" for the champion. Some of them require you to give up your attack routine for that special attack, like thicket of blades. Champion is very much more flavorful if using marking and it's available only to them

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but what does telling someone who is looking for a fix that they are wrong really accomplishing?
For the person looking for a way to improve their enjoyment of a thing they don't enjoy all that much? It doesn't accomplish much. But then, neither does overstating "as is, I'd rather play a battle master than a champion," as "champions need to be fixed."

For the appearance of the communal opinion, though, a lot is accomplished. If no one popped into this thread that claims the champion needs a fix and stated "No, it doesn't" it would appear as if the community of this forum as a whole agrees that the situation isn't that some people don't like the champion, but that the champion is actually broken.

...and when you consider that WotC are doing their best to listen to community opinion and shape the game to match it, it seems really important to make sure that the actual opinion of the community at large is available for anyone that happens to come looking.

Of course, as was already mentioned, if you want a discussion about house-rules that will ramp up your enjoyment of a part of the game and don't want to have any part of that discussion be people stating "You are wrong," all you have to do is state your opinion clearly as an opinion instead of using phrasing that suggests you believe you are stating a fact.

DaedalusX51

Explorer
What if Champions level 3 ability increased their crit range to 19-20, and made their criticals hit for 3x the number of dice, instead of 2x? Since flat damage increases represent a significant portion of the damage spread in 5e, this would not necessarily be game breaking, but on average it would increase the viability of crit-Champions without needing specific magic items or multiclassing. Would this be overpowered, or would it fix them?

The math on this would look like:

Level 3 Champion:

5% additional chance to crit * 4d6 weapon damage (This is even worse for dual wielding and one handing)

0.05(4*6+4/2) = 0.7 damage per hit.

25-26 Attacks or 12-13 Attacks with Advantage

Level 20 Champion:

10% additional chance to crit * 4d6 weapon damage (This is even worse for dual wielding and one handing)

0.1(4*6+4/2) = 1.4 damage per hit.

27-28 Attacks or 13-14 Attacks with Advantage.

This looks way more balanced. The Champion has the ability to pull ahead of the Battle Master with consistent Advantage and a lack of resting.

PS: I actually typoed in my math before. The average is 39 for 6d12 not 29.
So it is 55-56 attacks or 27-28 attacks with Advantage at level 20 for the current Champion.

Satyrn

First Post
IMHO, what's really needed is a full class that's not locked into DPR as primary function (thus, doesn't have a sub-class, like the Champion, for whom it is sole significant function).
Yeah, that's cool, too.

Let's see new options added in rather than twisting the current options into something new.

Remove ads