• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

shilsen

Adventurer
Torm said:
Contrary to saying he is pushing the envelope too far, I would say Shilsen has done an excellent job of making a Paladin that walks the very line. Cedric makes me cringe. But as a fellow Paladin who is still convinced that he is, overall, a force for Good, it is my Duty to defend his honor, rather than look down my nose at him - until he does push too far. ;)

Cedric is definitely supposed to make the average paladin cringe :D.

In fact, on the subject of being atypical, I think a character like Cedric would work best in a setting where most paladins are the conventional type. The conventional paladin is great, but one of the dangers that it runs (both for the paladin and the people who interact with him) is to shift the focus from the work that he does to the trimmings that go along with it. The shiny armor and the special mount and the flowery speech - these are not what make a paladin. But they are often what people focus on. Cedric would be a paladin stripped of all trimmings other than what gives the paladin meaning - the good that he does. In that sense, he would be a reminder to others - both paladins and others - of exactly what it is that matters. That's why I put in that bit (in the last piece of fiction) about Shikuna calling him a lesson.

Of course, that's just my take on it, so feel free to disagree :)

fusangite

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
You're misinterpreting me. What I'm saying is that the kind of hermetic seal that seems to be postulated by you and other posters between the various kinds of prostitution is a bad way to approach the issue.

We're not advocating the idea of separate disassociated types of prostitution. We are arguing that there is a continuum of different types of prostitution.

(Your position might be rhetorically summed up as this: OK, all prostitution isn't OK, but some of it is and since this is one of the [unusual] kinds that fits my definition of OK prostitution, it's the only kind that's relevant.)

Well, as it is the only kind of prostitution the paladin is interacting with, why wouldn't it be more relevant than the types with which the paladin is not interacting?

I think that there's a lot more to even the higher class prostitution than you're covering, (aside from any inherent issues about the nature and purpose of sex,

Yes. But the "purpose" of sex is a socially constructed thing, at least for the purpose of running RPGs. Even if you want to argue that sex in this world has some absolute "purpose" that is transhistorical and transcultural, what is the point of running a fantasy RPG if the fantasy world has to conform to the transcultural, transhistorical truth you posit for this world? The fact is that how we think about sexuality does vary based on social conditions. Now, if you want to argue that your particular cultural approach to these issues is the absolute reference frame and all other cultures can be judged based on their proximity to this view, that's fine. It still does not alter the fact that different cultures really do think about sexuality differently. Look at the Inuit and Mongol definitions of hospitality, for instance.

there's also the effect upon the johns to consider--I haven't known anyone whose marriage has been destroyed by such a habit, but I've met plenty of people who have tossed their futures away for a pair of thighs wrapped around them now)

Yes. But in other cultures, these dire consequences are less common or there are different consequences because those cultures understand sex differently.

Look, I've gamed with people who feel that D&D is about modern people thinking modern thoughts living in modern cultures using medieval tech and magic. That's a fine way to play D&D -- it's just not a way I enjoy playing the game. And I don't think that's the playing style that most people contributing to this thread favour.

(For that matter, I also question the assumption that it's practically possible for someone to draw a bright line and accurately discern between the various kinds of prostitution, etc. IME, most rationalization of any kind begins by assuming that subtle distinctions between the various mechanisms of satisfying ones appetites are clear and can be stuck to).

But we're not doing that. What we are saying is that prostitution runs along a continuum on which there are no sharp distinctions. Your reasoning here is essentially as follows: because there is no point in the spectrum where there are discreet breaks between colours, all colours are therefore yellow because yellow is the colour I see most frequently.

By patronizing this establishment which, by DM/writer fiat is entirely clean of anything improper, Sir Cedric is making a statement about his society should and should not accept and what "everyone" does and does not do. That statement does not simply apply, in the minds of his observers, to "this particular house of prostitution which is clean and well run and where everyone is there by free and informed consent with an eye by the madame towards getting them out." Rather, it applies to prostitution as a whole.

OK -- this is just an insane logical leap on your part. Your argument is that because paladins are exemplary individuals, every single thing they do should be/is viewed as a blanket endorsement of all practices associated with it. So, for instance, if a paladin travels by boat somewhere, he is endorsing press gangs and galley slavery. If he eats a loaf of bread, he is endorsing serfdom and agricultural slavery. If he uses a metal weapon or dons metal armour, he is endorsing slavery. If he engages in combat, he is endorsing all unjust wars and genocides. Etc.

Your point here is just nonsense. While I have agreed with you on other threads, I really think you need to take a step back and ask yourself if you are making any sense here at all.

A paladin need not just do the right thing; he has to be seen to do the right thing as well.

Let's just step into the modern world for a second: I believe that factory-farmed animals are raised under horrible conditions akin to torture; most vegetables are grown using pesticides that have adverse health impacts both on farm workers as well as on the people consuming them. Now, my paladin would buy organic vegetables and eat free range organic meat. Your paladin, faced with the same situation, would starve himself to death.

I agree that paladins should set examples. Paladins should oppose bad rules by endorsing good kings. They should oppose bad landlords by associating with those who treat their peasants well. Etc.

Working from the premise that slavery is wrong, a paladin should not only not own slaves, but should not give the impression that he supports it. (In some ways, this would circumscribe the activities of a paladin in a society where slavery is controversial like pre-civil war America much more than those of a paladin in a society where it isn't controversial like ancient Rome. The American paladin would be aware that being seen in certain places or with certain people would lend support to their cause (slavery) but, since slavery was not a cause as much as a fact of life in ancient Rome, his actions would generally not be seen to support or oppose it unless he took explicit pains to make them do so).

I'm watching you tangle yourself up here. I think you're seeing the problem of trying to create these transhistorical and transcultural values. Paladins live in the context of their culture; in Rome, a paladin wouldn't be indifferent to all forms of slavery; he would associate with people who treated their slaves well and who granted manumission fairly and generously.

In the same way, a paladin might have doubts about the odds for victory, but, by appearing to view failure as inevitable, he would make it so.

What portion of Aragorn's army that marched from Minas Tirith to the Black Gate thought they would win? From my reading of the text, less than 20%. But there sense of hopelessness didn't make victory any more or less real. Fortunately, through most of history, this modern nonsense about creating one's own reality was not really part of people's thought. Whether you believe you will succeed is not actually the preponderant factor in determining success.

In the jurisdiction in which I used to live, there was one election in 1991 when something totally incredible happened and a bunch of people were elected to the legislature who did not believe that victory was possible. People who ran $300 campaigns were swept into office past incumbents who had spent over $100,000. Many of these candidates were not available to the media on election night because they believed victory to be so improbable/impossible that they were out doing other things. Many grudgingly quit their jobs, having made no plans to become full-time parliamentarians, etc. Belief in one's success is not a necessary condition of success.

While I agree with you that deportment is a necessary part of paladinhood and that Cedric does not rise to the standard I would set, I'm not sure that hope is a necessary part of said deportment.

fusangite

First Post
shilsen said:
fusangite, this is why I love your posts and often end up disagreeing about them :D I think you're looking for a little more consistency in the D&D universe than it actually has. I think language as subjective or objective both work in D&D, simply because the D&D multiverse doesn't consistently lean one way or the other.

I agree with you here. But I do think the D&D multiverse leans in an Aristotelian direction. More things stop working if you abandon Aristotelianism in favour of other physical systems than if you do the reverse and ignore the Aristotelian elements. D&D is absolutely not coherent but I find that the easiest, most efficient way to make it consistent is to go with the physics it reflects the most.

repersaurus said:
shilsen, I think it's manipulative for you (and others) to view this "Sir Cedric" strictly within the boundaries you are creating. (example - viewing prostitutes thru this "working woman" lens which ignores the moral, physical, and psychological degeneracy inherent in the profession/industry.

Ok but wouldn't you agree that killing is generally bad? Surely if shilsen wrote a scene in which Cedric killed an orc, you and Elder Basilisk wouldn't immediately shout, "You know killing is actually usually quite bad. More often than not innocent people are killed and often those murdered die panifully. You're really sanitizing killing and making it look far too good. Killing is wrong and by showing this one example of good and appropriate killing, you're legitimating all murder."

There are serious problems with the lifestyle, and I think it's misleading to ignore all of them simply because you controlled all the parameters of Sir Cedric's story and placed him within "one of the good whorehouses".)

This is a D&D game, not a documentary on prostitution. It's not the job of D&D to offer a fair, realistic and balanced portrayal of every activity it depicts.

It's a further cop-out to create a high-level paladin of questionable appearance,

Guys, why don't you read some medieval saints' lives where the author brags about how filthy, smelly and unkempt the saints were to show their contempt for the superficial and willingness to suffer?

You've also hand-waved many accurate arguments against Sir Cedric as written, basically saying "I view those objections as being subjective, and not requirements of the paladin class."

Well, here's what's going on, broadly:
- those who support Shilsen, are making their argument based on the letter of the rules which clearly do not prohibit anything Cedric is doing
- those who oppose Shilsen are arguing either
(a) that the rules require certain things they do not literally spell out; or
(b) that as GMs they would create world-specific requirements that would prohibit a Cedric (this is my camp)

the nihilistic attitude

This is my second corrective. This paladin is not a nihilist; he has a clear morality -- he just does not think the universe shares it.

Mallus

Legend
fusangite said:
Look, I've gamed with people who feel that D&D is about modern people thinking modern thoughts living in modern cultures using medieval tech and magic. That's a fine way to play D&D
I'd like to add its the only honest way for most people to play the game. I can try to coat my characters with a veneer of cultura/lhistorical accuracy, but that's the salt on top of the meat, so to speak. If I'm going to be candid, I'm not sure I can fully imagine what's its like to be, say, Canadian --wait, you all like something called back-bacon, right?-- let alone a citizen of some quasi-Medieval feudal state.

BTW Fusang, I really enjoy your posts.

Mallus

Legend
reapersaurus said:
I think it's manipulative for you (and others) to view this "Sir Cedric" strictly within the boundaries you are creating.
That's how drama works. An author creates situations through which they manipulate the audience. That's what you're paying for... well, ok, in this case its free.
I have not had much real-life experience with prostitutes or pimps,
How much experience have you had living under a feudual aristocracy in a pre-Industrial agrigarian society? I've read its not pleasant. Most working people are de facto slaves.
There are serious problems with the lifestyle, and I think it's misleading to ignore all of them simply because you controlled all the parameters of Sir Cedric's story and placed him within "one of the good whorehouses".)
So idealizing one brothel is somehow irresponsible, but idealizing a Crusader is fine? Not to mention life in (quasi) Medieval Europe in general...

Let's put this back into the context. Are you really suggestion that prostitutions is too serious a topic to treat lightly in a game that treats wholesale slaughter in a cavalier manner? In every game I've played, D&D has been about assuming the role of killers. What are the ramifications of that?

And I'd like to point out, if you replace the word prostitution with occult, you've neatly duplicated the objection raised by fundementalist Christians against D&D as whole. Their whole point is that the game treats grave moral isssues (magic, demons, the spiritus mundi) far too lightly...

And shilsen, I know you get it, too - you just go too far with pushing the envelope with this particluar character.
My point all along is, since the character is obviously interesting enough for this long and entertaining thread, why not get a bigger envelope? Look at the conflict Cedric created in this thread... whose game would be the poorer for having that in play?

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
Mallus said:
I'd like to add its the only honest way for most people to play the game. I can try to coat my characters with a veneer of cultura/lhistorical accuracy, but that's the salt on top of the meat, so to speak. If I'm going to be candid, I'm not sure I can fully imagine what's its like to be, say, Canadian --wait, you all like something called back-bacon, right?-- let alone a citizen of some quasi-Medieval feudal state.

BTW Fusang, I really enjoy your posts.

Thanks for the compliment. You, needless to say, won't be surprised when I respond to your assertion here by saying that you are sounding dangerously like those postmodernist scholars who argue that we cannot discover other historical or anthopological/sociological realities because of our overwhelming subjectivity, that we are only ever talking about ourselves. As an historian, for obvious profesional reasons, I refuse to subscribe to that view. While it is of course impossible to capture fully the thoughts of people outside our culture, I think that we can make a good faith stab at it and for me, roleplaying (not so much D&D) is about the joy of that stab.

Mallus

Legend
fusangite said:
You, needless to say, won't be surprised when I respond to your assertion here by saying that you are sounding dangerously like those postmodernist scholars who argue that we cannot discover other historical or anthopological/sociological realities because of our overwhelming subjectivity, that we are only ever talking about ourselves.
Would you be surprised to learn I dabbled in postmoderism as a wayawrd youth? :)

I'd never suggest that investigating other cultures/historical periods/etc. is meaningless in light of our "overwhelming subjectivity"... what I meant to suggest is that any serious endeavor along those lines is beyond the scope of my Tuesday night D&D game. My aim is to get the players involved in the drama we're creating. Historical simulation isn't a priority. To that end I try to the make the game as accessible as possible. In order to make the drama work, I need to give them NPC's that are, to a large extent, familiar.

For the most part, my gameworld's full of thoroughly modern folk in anime/Medieval drag. Hell, a recent NPC refered to his press gang as an "assymetrcial recruitment squad". An important god is a deified divorce lawyer... you see where this is going...

And are we always "talking to ourselves"? I'm thinking about literature right now, the way works get labelled 'universal'... not because they contain some objective truth about the human condition, rather because they mirror so many individuals subjective experiences. I think its an important distinction. Does that make sense? So yes, we're usually talking to oursevles, but we're frequently saying the same thing.

I think that we can make a good faith stab at it and for me, roleplaying (not so much D&D) is about the joy of that stab.
It sounds fascinating, but I don't know enough people interested in make a good faith stab...

shilsen

Adventurer
Torm said:
Nonsense! Paladins with swords are all about making stabs in good faith! :D
Ah, Torm - as the demon lord said to the celestial - you slay me, truly :p

fusangite said:
This paladin is not a nihilist; he has a clear morality -- he just does not think the universe shares it.

This reminds me, fusangite, I completely forgot to respond to that question you'd asked a few pages ago, about whether people would be interested in a thread on whether the D&D universe is amoral or not. I thought that would make for an interesting discussion. Why don't you start one?

P.S. Nice work jumping E-B and reapersaurus :D. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Orius

Legend
reapersaurus said:
By including the whoring (instead of simply enjoying the pleasures of flesh) and the excessive drinking (instead of just occasional drink) and the excessive cussing (instead of just being untraditional in speech and not all "flowery") and the nihilistic attitude (instead of just not being Lawful Stupid), you've pushed the character too far from being a real paladin.

I have to agree. I like the concept of Cedric, but I think in trying to change people's preconceptions of the paladin, shilsen didn't just bend some people's preconceptions, he went the extra mile and smashed them into very very small pieces. :) Of course, that made things much more controversial. I think the character still works, and if toned down, he wouldn't be considered as objectionable.

Remove ads