• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Would You Buy DDI-Pathfinder?

noretoc

First Post
Nope, Also because I know WotC history with eletronic products. I remember core rules, and e-tools. I also remember how DDI was going to be ready for the release of 4.0. If Paizo did something on thier own, maybe. Depends on the content and usefulness. They have a track record I like.

TessarrianDM

First Post
... a monthly subscription for online tools does not appeal to me. I'd much rather just buy a single program to do what I might want, maybe with the ability to purchase addons later.

I heartily agree. I do not know if we will switch to Pathfinder simply because we have customized DMGenie/PlayerGenie to our needs, and are not real enthusiastic about an extensive re-write. If Paizo had something similar I am almost 100% positive we would change.

I would highly prefer if it was exclusively from Paizo, but would entertain the idea of purchasing a program based on an engine licensed from WoTC.

thurgon

First Post
Simple answer No.

More detailed, No I try and avoid WotC in all ways these days. Throw in that almost any tool I need electronically for pathfinder I have, waiting on the monsters books but you get the point. Plus with my own home built ones I can make quick and easy rules changes to pathfinder to make it more the game I want it to be.

alleynbard

First Post
Not a demon's chance in a Chelaxian church of Asmodeus.

Now, if Paizo developed their own, 10% chance, I'm really opposed to digital subscriptions for stuff like this.

After 6 months of the DDI I feel much the same way. The only electronic subscription model I have enjoyed so far has been dungeonaday.com. It is pretty useful overall and I trust Monte to deliver the goods.

Stormonu

Legend
Nope, Also because I know WotC history with eletronic products. I remember core rules, and e-tools. I also remember how DDI was going to be ready for the release of 4.0. If Paizo did something on thier own, maybe. Depends on the content and usefulness. They have a track record I like.

I'm of the same mind. WotC has proven to be pretty incompetent when it comes to electronic content. Piazo seems to have a better head on their shoulders in this area. Truthfully, I think the best place for e-content would be with the 3rd party folks who do this for a living - Paizo needs only put their "stamp of approval" on someone to be their electronic distributor of DDI-like tools.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if e-tools could be resurrected and the base code actually allowed to be fixed*, especially since I own all the data sets. I've already got half a dozen other tools, including the Kencyclopedia web page for monster creation and Fantasy Grounds for running/tracking my game, so I'm really already set. I mean, when you've got the PDF of a rulebook, WHY do you need a Rules compendium - that you pay a monthly fee to use?

* To my knowledge, Codemonkey was allowed to make datasets, but beyond the initial bugs they fixed, weren't allowed to modify the code.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Is that something you would consider purchasing, if the price and terms of use were fair in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

NO.

Not even remotely interested.

malkav666

First Post
After 6 months of the DDI I feel much the same way. The only electronic subscription model I have enjoyed so far has been dungeonaday.com. It is pretty useful overall and I trust Monte to deliver the goods.

I love dungeonaday.com. It is my first stop every weekday when I hop on the interwebs. The only issue that site has is a case of suck forums. But I can deal with that.

love,

malkav

alleynbard

First Post
I love dungeonaday.com. It is my first stop every weekday when I hop on the interwebs. The only issue that site has is a case of suck forums. But I can deal with that.

love,

malkav

Same here. I am very pleased with what Monte has turned out and my upcoming campaign will be using dungeonaday in Ptolus (in Golarion, but that is another subject entirely). The product is worth the money, without a doubt. I especially enjoy reading his insights at the blog. I like to see the mind of the designer at work.

What I like is Monte seems to be listening to his customers. He has made adjustments based on suggestions, which I think is fantastic. And his blog addresses concerns or questions that have come up.

I agree the forums are kind of "eh". But I can deal with that as well.

Another situation of fantastic customer service from a person who really understands the kind of D&D I enjoy. And, just like Paizo, he maintains a clear line of communication with his customers.

LWDPressRelease

First Post
As a few posters have previously noted in this thread, Hero Lab already provides extensive support for the Pathfinder RPG. Hero Lab offers full character creation (PCs and NPCs), in-play support for players using laptops at the game, and GM tools tailored for efficiently running games. You can also readily add your own custom content, and we have a user community that is currently adding and sharing content from various OGL sources.

More importantly, there's no subscription fee - just a one-time purchase for a meager $30.

For classic d20, we already provide a direct feed into d20Pro, and we're working with them to have a direct feed for Pathfinder in the near future. So an integrated DDI-like solution for Pathfinder is nigh available - without the baggage of a monthly subscription.

As for getting up on a soapbox to tout Hero Lab, I'll let some of the other posters here share their thoughts, since they're going to be much less biased than I am. :) I will simply say that Hero Lab was powerful enough to win a 2008 ENnie Award for Best RPG Aid or Accessory, and we've continued adding extensive new capabilities over the past year. Plus you can demo the full product capabilities for free, so there's no risk in at least checking it out.

Remove ads