• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you consider 5th edition?

renau1g

First Post
Sure. I'd give it a go.

I hated 3e and 4e alike. I'm sure I'd hate 5e the same way. :cool:

Just curious evil why you'd hang out on the 4e discussion boards if you hate 4e? I don't want this to be a bait or a flame or anything else, I'm more genuinely curious.

eriktheguy

First Post
I can't wait for it.

Wizards did something completely new with 4e. Its the biggest change since any previous edition and better in almost every way. Some people argue in favor of 3.5, but I just introduced 3 new people to DnD in the last year, and it would have been impossible without 4e.

That said, the system is completely new, and it didn't happen without some major clunkiness. There are math fixes etc, and the odd issue with the core system. 5e should be a revision of 4e, in the same way that 3.5e was a major revision of 3e.

I do hope that 5e is more online update based, I love all the current technology and it makes sessions, character generation etc so much easier. The fact that EVERY ALTERNATE SOURCE BOOK is incorperated into the core character builder is astounding on its own right.

I'll post this for now, then go back and read/reply comments

Kzach

Banned
Banned
That said, the system is completely new, and it didn't happen without some major clunkiness. There are math fixes etc, and the odd issue with the core system. 5e should be a revision of 4e, in the same way that 3.5e was a major revision of 3e.

I wouldn't say 3.5 was a major revision of 3e. It was more a tweaking and an overhaul of key issues. 3e was a major revision of 2e, though.

If 5e were just a revision of key issues in 4e, it really wouldn't warrant an entire new version number, would it? Although I suppose there wasn't a huge difference between 1e and 2e.

Eh, regardless, the original question is meant to be entirely hypothetical :)

Those aren't the questions though. The questions: So when 5e comes around... will I give it a chance? Or will I simply be happy with 4e and not bother?

My answer is yes to the first and not likely to the second.
Absolutely I will give it a chance. It might suck, it might be the best thing since sliced bread 4E.

An interesting question will be if 5E will be a "reinvention" like 4E basically was, or if it will be more a refinement of what we have. But both I might still be interested in. If it's a refinement, it would basically be 4.5E or Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 4. If it's a reinvention, it would be very different, but it could still be made of awesome - just a different type of awesome.

Or it could suck (in both cases). But I will give it a chance.

eriktheguy

First Post
I wouldn't say 3.5 was a major revision of 3e. It was more a tweaking and an overhaul of key issues. 3e was a major revision of 2e, though.

If 5e were just a revision of key issues in 4e, it really wouldn't warrant an entire new version number, would it? Although I suppose there wasn't a huge difference between 1e and 2e.

Eh, regardless, the original question is meant to be entirely hypothetical :)

I was actually thinking "5e to 4e as 2e to 1e" but used 3.5 and 3 so that more people would follow. A revision of key issues is sort of what I'm hoping for, but my number one hope for 5e is that they will modify the core system so that it can receive updates by DDI.
Ex. If there is a math issue in the first release of 5e, they would fix the math issue through DDI rather than releasing a feat tax.

I started playing with AD&D 2nd edition - I loved it

I was not thrilled when 3rd edition came out, but then I tried it - I loved it, I felt it was better than 2nd edition.

I was not thrilled when 4th edition came out, but then I tried it - I loved it, I felt it was better than 3rd edition.

-

So yeah, I am willing to try out 5th edition, when it comes, although if it were announced tomorrow, I would not be thrilled (there's several 4E books I want that I havent bought yet)

-

edit: so, after actually reading the comments, I agree with most people here, "Yes to 5th edition, just not yet"

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So when 5e comes around... will I give it a chance? Or will I simply be happy with 4e and not bother?

I was quite happy with 3.5 and its 3PP offspring, and I still gave 4Ed a chance.

And I found I don't particularly care for 4Ed...but while I'll never run a 4Ed campaign, I'm open to playing it. I have a thread on these very boards talking about some PC designs, and I've purchased PHBs 2 & 3, as well as the FR and Eberron players books, and will do so with Dark Sun later this year. Anything else 4Ed will only find its way into my hands via gift or deep discount.

So when- not if- 5Ed gets released, I'll give it the same chance I gave 4Ed. I pre-ordered 4Ed, so I'll probably pre-order the core set-up.

Now, if I find 5Ed to be a game I don't particularly care for, 6Ed will NOT be pre-ordered. I'll look at it in the store and then make my decision.

As I have not nvested a lot in 4e because of time constraints, I would not mind 5e coming out within the next month.

Waht I really want though are updated prints of early 4e books. And best, in a nice package. ;)

4e has its issues, but i yet have to play it to higher level to see if thes issues really matter or not. All in all i am happy with the system and I believe i will play it for a while until there is a need for another edition. And of course, i will try it out then.

Remove ads