• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you let a PC become a diety?

Hey Piratecat! :)

You know somebody should write a book about this sort of thing. :D

Piratecat said:
I really disagree. It makes you a popular guy, not a God as defined by D&D.

On the contrary, Deities & Demigods ascribes a few hundred to a few thousand devoted worshippers to beings of Demi-deity status.

However, when I did some research, generally demigods in D&D seem to have more than that (Iuz certainly does). I would suggest 100,000-999,999 worshippers for a demigod sustained by mere worship.

5000 worshippers could be enough to make you a hero-deity (assuming you passed all the tests and met the prerequistes)

Piratecat said:
That's true for the Roman emperors, too; all the Roman citizens might have treated Emperor Ceasar Augustus as a living God (technically Roman emperors didn't become gods until after they died, mind you), but in game terms he was just a mortal weilding temporal power, like anyone else.

True, but if we assume there is a link between glory/worship and divinity then the amount of worshippers is a factor.

So the question with regards Augustus might be how many people truly believed in his divinity and how many were just pretending. Secondly, assuming Augustus had sufficient 'worship', did he meet all the other prerequisites for divinity. ;)

Piratecat said:
Moreso, 5000 is nothing. 5000 is tiny. Millions, however, may get you some respect. :D

Out of curiousity, how many worshippers would you ascribe to the likes of Kelanan, Heward and other such minor godlings?

Piratecat said:
In my campaign I may have people treating PCs like a God, but they can't become one. That's something I feel pretty strongly about.

Never even considered it...?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
FrostedMini1337 said:
That only defines deific immortality. There are others that are considered "immortal" but can still die in combat or other forms besides "natural death."

Krusty mate! :D Long time no see! Kill any over-deities for me lately? Well not for me but just in general? ;)

taliesin15

First Post
Nightfall said:
Define immortality for me. Then we'll talk.

A being who never dies. Which I think in a nutshell defines a Deity. Whether they have worshippers or not (c.v. the final installment of Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series). Course then you have the problem that the players who play them must die some day. ;)

Nightfall

Kae'Yoss said:
H's no deity. And he does more than just golf. He's also known for obliterating Elminster's finest wines.

Only after believing he's the next Tiger woods and beats up people with his clubs. :p :)

Nightfall

taliesin15 said:
A being who never dies. Which I think in a nutshell defines a Deity. Whether they have worshippers or not (c.v. the final installment of Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series). Course then you have the problem that the players who play them must die some day. ;)

There are plenty that die and are considered "immortal". Gods just don't die so easily because only another god can kill them. That to me says others that are not gods but have immortality can die too, just not from old age or natural causes.

taliesin15

First Post
Nightfall said:
There are plenty that die and are considered "immortal". Gods just don't die so easily because only another god can kill them. That to me says others that are not gods but have immortality can die too, just not from old age or natural causes.
good point, but I bring up immortality specifically because I think more players would be interested in that than their PCs becoming Deities --much less responsibility!

Nightfall

True but my point was I wanted to have that definition there to state the fact that while being unable to age or suffer the ill effects of natural death, there's still violent death, poison, energy/ability drains, and of course negative levels.

Nightfall

Krusty mate,

Eh family surviving. I'll email you the details but basically we're hanging together and hopefully by 2008 I'll be on my own. I hope maybe by then, I'll start writing some more d20 stuff that you might like.

*forgets Krusty is more a lover than a fighter* Btw your last release = EXCELLENT! I loved it. Some killer stuff.

Remove ads