• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you let a PC become a diety?

Storyteller01

First Post
Nope. I like my gods mysterious and powerful (mine don't use stat blocks; no point). Characters are can be powerful, but none will match the gods.

Then again, the gods rarely work directly with the world...

Sejs

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
Wait a few years? Death evasion at epic levels is a minor problem. What about when his followers try to find ways for his spirit to inhabit a new body after he bites it?

Nah, I'm not talking about someone meaner waltzing up and smacking his head off, I'm talking about "Even true resurrection can’t restore to life a creature who has died of old age" and "you still die when your time is up".

Sure, a really powerful mortal might hold dominion over huge swaths of the land. He may shape the destiny of an age. But a true god should have the ability to realize that in a few hundred or a few thousand years he's just going to be a few lines in somebody's history book.

Tsillanabor

First Post
In my current campaign setting the gods are really powerful, statted beings so it is possible but unlikely to become a god. In my previous campaign they were beyond stat blocks and it was debateable whether or not they existed, so no.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
It's all about the DM's willingness. Me, I'm probably unwilling unless I think it might be fun to watch the PC trip on his face...a lot. ;)

ChimericDream

First Post
I am actually working on a setting where each and every one of the gods was once a mortal. Basically, overdeities seeded the world and waited long enough until a single mortal was worthy of godhood. They instituted a divine tournament and left.

It's actually a goal of mine to have a campaign span enough time and levels that a PC actually attempts to enter the ranks of godhood.

Of course, unless I was GMing an all-god group of characters, I'd probably take the sheet away, except in special circumstances.

Deng

First Post
muzick said:
I am actually working on a setting where each and every one of the gods was once a mortal. Basically, overdeities seeded the world and waited long enough until a single mortal was worthy of godhood. They instituted a divine tournament and left.

It's actually a goal of mine to have a campaign span enough time and levels that a PC actually attempts to enter the ranks of godhood.

one of our DMs has something like this on a couple of his worlds. I think all the gods were once mortal and a few were Ex PCs over the last ten years or so. I've had one character reach Godhood, his plan from level one was always to kill his God and take his place!! There are periodic times when the Gods become mortal and fight for more power, this is when PCs can become Gods. My PC didn't get a chance to kill his own God, someone beat him to it :mad: but he did get to become a God though (at level 12 if you wanted to know)

Obviously, he is no longer a PC but it does bring up the interesting question of should I play a Cleric of my PC God in the next campaign?!!!

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Nightfall said:
Define immortality for me. Then we'll talk.

The SRD said:
Immortality: All deities (even those of rank 0) are naturally immortal and cannot die from natural causes. Deities do not age, and they do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. The only way for a deity to die is through special circumstances, usually by being slain in magical or physical combat. Deities of rank 1 or higher are not subject to death from massive damage.

yo.

Remove ads