• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you let a PC become a diety?

I have had 3 characters become dieties, in our FR games. Over a number of different story lines I had Drall, an elf (2nd ed.) become god of vengence after we completed a quest set for us by Ao. Then I had Sartata, Drall's quasi-diety son, eventually become god of halfbreeds and outcasts (post 20th, 3ed.) Finally, after Mystra was destroyed (which seems to happen alot) Ao cast all the god's out (a second time of troubles) and set their powers in the material plane, for any who was worthy to claim them. My insane albino winged goblin ended up getting the portfolio of magic. It was to much for him, and magic started to go nuts all over the place. So he used his power to reform the broken shards of Mystra's essence and gave magic back to her, keep choas magic for himself though.
With all 3 as soon as they became gods, they instantly became NPC's. There should never be a reason for a player to play a god... unless they've been stripped of thier power and it's an epic quest to try and retrive it.

Just my two copper

Aust Diamondew

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
In FR, a character has reached epic levels and literally 5 thousand people worship him. People flock from all across faerun to be near him, gain his advice and study under him. How about him?

If you're epic level and have 5,000 worshipers you essentially are a god regardless of what any DM might say. You have tremendous personal power and people worship you, the only two things really required to be a God. Portfollios and divine rank are just mechanical crud. Some Roman emperors were worshiped and nobody felt the need to them they need some stupid portfollio.

In my games I've allowed PCs to begin hero deities, like Achilles or Heracles. Worshipped for centuries even after they die for their accomplishments in life.

tzor

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
You homebrew a world with few dieties. A PC notices you have no god of Luck or Chaos or Change, and rolls up a Swashbuckler with the intent on becoming the diety of Luck Chaos and Change. Do you let him? (To clarify, this is more of a question "Theres an open Portfolio, would you let a PC take it?")

Generally speaking in my campaign worlds godhood is as much a curse as it is a power trip. So I would make sure that the player understood exactly what the bargain with the devil he or she was going to be giving the character. The more powerful the character, the more the followers start thinking him divine, the more he becomes the image of what his followers think he is and less of what he originally wanted to be. As the levels get closer to divine ranks minor time warping might also ensue in order to make the preceived notions of the present in line with the historical records of the past.

Welcome to the eternal hell of godhood. Please check your free will with the garments of mortality you have just shed and welcome to having your life determined by the average mean of those who either adore or despise you. Just hope your followers like gods who are drunk often because that way it's easier to endure.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Aust Diamondew said:
If you're epic level and have 5,000 worshipers you essentially are a god regardless of what any DM might say.
I really disagree. It makes you a popular guy, not a God as defined by D&D. That's true for the Roman emperors, too; all the Roman citizens might have treated Emperor Ceasar Augustus as a living God (technically Roman emperors didn't become gods until after they died, mind you), but in game terms he was just a mortal weilding temporal power, like anyone else.

Moreso, 5000 is nothing. 5000 is tiny. Millions, however, may get you some respect. :D

In my campaign I may have people treating PCs like a God, but they can't become one. That's something I feel pretty strongly about.

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Piratecat said:
Moreso, 5000 is nothing. 5000 is tiny. Millions, however, may get you some respect. :D

Ahh! my point. There are some low rank deities who barely muster above 5,000 followers, and some of them don't have established temples, just shrines.

If a PC outstrips a deity in terms of followers and established churches, what would AO do about it? Or what would the deity do about it?

Sidenote: I have no real vested interest in this, but it really makes me curious.

merelycompetent

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
As a general rule, do you bar PC's from ascending in a campaign other than where you as the GM have the ascension in mind beforehand? If so, why?

No, I do not bar PCs from ascending in a campaign. Usually it involves "sponsorship" to saint or demigod level by an existing divinity - this is one of the potential rewards for being a faithful servant/follower of a particular divinity. However, both in my homebrew and in published campaign worlds I've run, the possibility (however remote) has occasionally appeared where a PC can achieve direct god/goddess status. The PC immediately becomes an NPC upon ascension.

You homebrew a world with few dieties. A PC notices you have no god of Luck or Chaos or Change, and rolls up a Swashbuckler with the intent on becoming the diety of Luck Chaos and Change. Do you let him? (To clarify, this is more of a question "Theres an open Portfolio, would you let a PC take it?")

Only if the PC earns it. When I'm the DM, going from epic character to full god/goddess is a very, very rare and difficult thing. The PC would have to be a (non-game terminology definition) paragon example of the portfolio(s) the PC wants to take over to even have a hope of doing this.

In FR, a character has reached epic levels and literally 5 thousand people worship him. People flock from all across faerun to be near him, gain his advice and study under him. How about him? (To clarify, this more of a question of "Some of those low divine rank suckers don't even have 5 thousand worshipers. Would you let the PC steal portfolios like dieties do from one another")

5K worshippers isn't even a fraction of a drop in the bucket you'd need to even be on the road to divine rank 0. IMC, that few worshippers wouldn't even allow a divine being to grant spells, much less use them itself. It simply isn't enough faith. In fact, if any of those worshippers used to be sworn to another divinity, that god/goddess is probably ticked that the PC led them astray, and will take corrective steps. My knowledge of obscure FR low-ranked divinities is waaaay out of date. I run them as basically maintaining their divine status by carefully hoarding followers' faith from back when they were more actively worshipped. I also run it such that a divine being has an easier time stealing divine power from another divine being. It's like the barrier between normal 1-20 progression and epic levels: Epic powers are mostly unusable and inaccessable by non-epic beings. Same thing: Divine powers are mostly unusable and inaccessable by non-divine beings. So even if an epic PC slew all a god's worshippers, slew all a god's avatars, fought the god on its home plane and won, and then seated himself on that god's throne, it wouldn't make him a god. Unless, of course, the DM set out that specific formula for becoming a god.

Would you ever let a PC be responsible for the fall of a diety? Example: by killing his followers, and the spreading of a magical disease that implicated Kelemvor, a high level lich of an extraplanar diety on FR lowers Kelemvors divine rank (divine rank is tied to number of followers and ferverancy). Would you let the diety come to the realms and battle with kelemvor for control? Or would you be more apt to just elevate the PC instead for his hard work? Or would AO/Kelemvor smite him for the presumptiousness of it all?

Yes - wipe out its worshippers, and reduce everyone else's belief in the divine power of that divinity, and you cut off the supply of faith. Now that divinity only has the power it saved up. It can recall a few avatars to have more juice to work miracles (and regain followers), but that's a hard, uphill battle.

In FR, Kelemvor would probably call on the assistance of any divine allies he has (or recruit those allies by pointing out that this is a divine invasion of the realms, and therefore a threat to all the FR gods) to obliterate the interloper. AO would be annoyed at the disruption and probably would take corrective action so that Kelemvor's replacement was more attentive to maintaining his faithful and preventing divine invasions.

Bottom line: FR has had divine invasions before. If the DM wants to run one, there's certainly precedent for it. If your DM allows it, then that's great. Player input on a god's activities can result in some really cool stuff. IME, though, it's easier to keep the divine/mortal limit in place. If killing gods and replacing them with PCs looks like fun to, though, then give it a try. You can always have AO come along and set things back again.

Edit: Fixed the bad quote bracket.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
FrostedMini1337 said:
If a PC outstrips a deity in terms of followers and established churches, what would AO do about it? Or what would the deity do about it?

Well, I don't see why Ao would care. The PC still doesn't have divine rank (by WotC published rules, anyway). He's powerful, but there's a whole lot of stuff he or she just can't do. The PC is still entirely mortal, will die in just a few years anyway, right? The PC is just a momentary blip, as far as Ao is concerned.

As to what other gods would think - that would depend entirely upon what the character does with his temporal power. Start mucking with the itnerests of gods, and the gods may act...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
FrostedMini1337 said:
The smartest thing they could do is recruit that PC into their church! Can you imagine the ripple effect if the minor goddess Annoyia (goddess of jammed kitchen drawers, with only a handful of followers) suddenly got High Lord Uber McEpicpants to announce to his millions of followers that they should now worship Her?

You know, there's a great plot in that...

Quickleaf

Legend
FrostedMini1337 said:
For my campaigns "become a god" wouldn't fly as a character motivation because it's vague. What about the concept of a god is the player really wanting to emulate in their character? The worship and adoration? Massive magical power?

In FR, a character has reached epic levels and literally 5 thousand people worship him. People flock from all across faerun to be near him, gain his advice and study under him. How about him?
I'm with Piratecate. Pharaoh and Emperor were worshipped by thousands, but were they divine beings? No. Now, the answer in your fantasy world might be "yes", and if so, then you need to look at what makes them divine. Is it the worship? Their bloodline? Completing a quest? Prophecy? A council of gods? Being a certain level and taking a feat?

Piratecat said:
The smartest thing they could do is recruit that PC into their church! Can you imagine the ripple effect if the minor goddess Annoyia (goddess of jammed kitchen drawers, with only a handful of followers) suddenly got High Lord Uber McEpicpants to announce to his millions of followers that they should now worship Her?

taliesin15 said:
Another possibility is a PC being mistaken for a Deity, as happened with Fafhrd, and Brian in Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Tons of plot potential with both of these ideas!

Remove ads