• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you let a PC become a diety?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
FrostedMini1337 said:
Yo:

As a general rule, do you bar PC's from ascending in a campaign other than where you as the GM have the ascension in mind beforehand? If so, why?

In general? I don't do anything "in general" with cosmology. I choose my cosmologies very carefully for each campaign. In some, ascension may be possible. In some, deities may be "mortal" in some sense. In others, one or both of these may not be true. But I don't have a default answer for the question.

Slife

First Post
There's actually a RAW way for your players to become a god. It's rather munchkiny, and it requires a couple of non-core WotC books. And the other gods won't like it at all.

You see, there's a rule that current Dieties can make other, lesser beings into divine proxies by bestowing one of their divine ranks upon the proxy. They can recall their divine ranks later, to prevent their proxies from becoming uppity.

In frostburn, there's a spell known as ice assassin. This spell allows you to create an exact copy of any entity you like for 24 hours, which completely obeys your commands. There are two kickers for this. It costs some XP, and there's a material component involved. The material component required is part of the being you're copying. Unless it's easy to obtain a piece of a god (Tiamet's claw clippings?), you're better off trying to get it as a SLA. How you obtain this is an exercise for the reader, suffice it to say that it's possible.

Anyway, once you have an ice assassin clone of a god, you ask it to make you a divine proxy. You now have Divine Rank 1. Congratulations. But you can also get a divine rank upwards of one. What you do is create a bunch of ice assassin god clones, and every time you get a divine rank, you give it to a nearby tree, ant, squirrel, whatever. The point is you proxy it out so you can keep being eligible for proxying. Once you have enough proxies (22 is a nice, even number), dismiss all the ice assassins and recall all your divine ranks.

An overdiety is you!

Now hand your sheet over to the DM and roll 3d6 6 times.

Personally, it's never come up. I would require epic levels, minimum. And then it would be a world-spanning plotline.

Last edited:

Gold Roger

First Post
As conclusion of a long going campaign that ends at 20th level? Jupp.

Of course I wouldn't let them play god.

If the circumstances are right I could see them killing god as well, though it would involve countless MC Gruffins, alliances with other gods, personal sacrifices and magical rituals.

Ibram

First Post
It may be possible for a character to reach rank 0, but anything beyond that would be beyond the scope of a campaign. That would be the end for that character, as the final step in any accention/decention requires shuffling off the old mortal coil.

God killing is more easily achieved, as the definition of a god is quite lose IMC

Kesh

First Post
I've been considering a campaign based on the recent Chainmail minis game setting. The god of War has died, his weapons and armor scattered over the land. Armies have arisen, trying to collect those items and conquer their enemies. It's believed that if anyone can complete the fallen god's raiments, they will become the new god of war.

I haven't decided if I'd allow a PC to gather that many artifacts together, or just have them spend the campaign trying to prevent evil factions from getting any more of the weapons.

Merkuri

Explorer
I favor campaigns like Eberron where the dieties are not beings that can be reached if you have enough power and tenacity. In Eberron, the dieties may not even exist! No one knows for certain. Personally, I think this makes the campaign so much more interesting, opening it up to religious differences, corruption in the church, and things like that. When the gods have come down in person and laid the smack down before then it's harder to have wars based on whether the god loves elves or dwarves more.

So yeah, I'd say that in my campaign (if I were ever to start one) would not allow PCs to become dieties.

That being said, I agree with a lot of the people here that if I were playing in the type of world where this is possible I'd let the PCs do it (with enough sweat and blood, of course) but it would definitely be the end of the PC as a PC (the new god would be NPC'd) and would probably be the end to the campaign altogether.

Gundark

Explorer
FrostedMini1337 said:
Yo:

You homebrew a world with few dieties. A PC notices you have no god of Luck or Chaos or Change, and rolls up a Swashbuckler with the intent on becoming the diety of Luck Chaos and Change. Do you let him? (To clarify, this is more of a question "Theres an open Portfolio, would you let a PC take it?")

And still play his character after ascension...no....but other than that yeah why not???

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I never let a PC decide he wants to become a deity and then give it to him for that reason. However, I wouldn't be adverse to a high-level PC retiring as a god if the situation warranted it. Typically, I don't allow divine ascension in my games unless that is the point of the campaign.

Li Shenron

Legend
FrostedMini1337 said:
Would you let a PC become a diety?

Only if the other PCs are still on par with him, and only if the rules to cover it are decent enough (not the case with D&D IMHO).

But in any case... at least not until they can spell it correctly ! :] :] :]

diaglo

Adventurer
Gundark said:
And still play his character after ascension...no....but other than that yeah why not???

ditto.

but it has never come up.

btw i try to stick to low fat dieties. i'm watching my cholesterol.

Remove ads