• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wow, a robot passing a Turing's test might not be that far away

Janx

Hero
Listen to this telemarketing robot, it is pretty impressive. Limited, but impressive none the less.

Less jobs for real people.

there's an older thread in here, about Danny's adventures with the tele-robot that calls him and how he tries to break its voice recognition until it crashes.

Every year or so it'll pop back up when the bot gives him a call.

On the "Less jobs for real people." part, I have a whole rant on how telemarketers are worse than prostitutes because a prostitute doesn't call on me during dinner. It makes some telemarketers cry (a friend of mine used it). Prostitutes also don't keep calling you back hoping for repeat business, unlike that one night stand.

All in all, Prostitute is a more honest and courteous profession than telemarketer.

Janx

Hero
A robot can do all that, but with a real person at least someone has a (crappy) job.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

granted, I don't like telemarketers. So a robot calling me is just as bad. I'd just as soon have the entire practice be banned, in which case either way, humans are unemployed (for that job).

I'm not entirely of the mindset of inventing jobs for the sake of giving people something to do, though I do approve of finding uses for people that are meaningful and valuable.

I'm also not impressed that a good chunk of society doesn't seem inclined to go out and pick up litter for a living, but is happy to sit in a cube farm and harass fellow Americans during dinner. One's honest hard work, the other's worse than being a prostitute.

Either way, ain't much I can do about it. Luckily iOS7 lets me block numbers, so I can finally just add every telemarketer call I get to the Do Not Answer contact and shut that crap down.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hasn't Klirshon already passed it?
He is machine and flesh, not just machine. He is cheating.

I'm also not impressed that a good chunk of society doesn't seem inclined to go out and pick up litter for a living, but is happy to sit in a cube farm and harass fellow Americans during dinner. One's honest hard work, the other's worse than being a prostitute.
I know, and while we're at it, people should try harder to become millionaires. It boggles the mind why they prefere low paying jobs.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

granted, I don't like telemarketers. So a robot calling me is just as bad. I'd just as soon have the entire practice be banned, in which case either way, humans are unemployed (for that job).

I'm not entirely of the mindset of inventing jobs for the sake of giving people something to do, though I do approve of finding uses for people that are meaningful and valuable.

Either way, ain't much I can do about it. Luckily iOS7 lets me block numbers, so I can finally just add every telemarketer call I get to the Do Not Answer contact and shut that crap down.

I am a telemarketer. I am also a person. I hate that you think the way you do, but let me go on the record as saying I used to be very reliable customer service... then all of those jobs got shipped south. I was sales, but all of those jobs are now commission only.

I have been working temp jobs for 5 years off and on, now I work for $12 an hour + bonus (If I sell the right amounts.) My job involves calling people and trying to sell them things I know they do not want or need. I also know that my unemployeement is run out. So if you made it illegal to do my job maybe I would have to starve...thanks

I know, and while we're at it, people should try harder to become millionaires. It boggles the mind why they prefere low paying jobs.

yea, Everyone should have a great job, but not one that people don't like... I guess it is the same as tax collector, or the cop that pulls you over for speeding....

Janx

Hero
I am a telemarketer. I am also a person. I hate that you think the way you do, but let me go on the record as saying I used to be very reliable customer service... then all of those jobs got shipped south. I was sales, but all of those jobs are now commission only.

I have been working temp jobs for 5 years off and on, now I work for $12 an hour + bonus (If I sell the right amounts.) My job involves calling people and trying to sell them things I know they do not want or need. I also know that my unemployeement is run out. So if you made it illegal to do my job maybe I would have to starve...thanks

You have my sympathies that you're stuck with that kind of job. ironic that I'm the bad guy here, when in the walmart hero thread, I pointed out how that guy was stuck (as the hero had said in the original article), and somebody else jumped on me that he had all the choices and opportunities in the world and it was his choice to settle for walmart.

I ain't yer enemy. You may be in a vocation whose activity I despise, but I am not lobbying to shut down your livelihood. I merely would prefer a world where that activity did not exist.

i also get life makes it hard to get out of a quagmire. People in those jobs would choose other stuff if the car didn't break down again, they got enough time off to interview, etc.

For the record, one of the things I do with my company is find people with IT skills who have been stuck in crappy jobs at HEB and give them the chance to get a few years experience so they can qualify for the real gigs at Exxon, etc. I can only help one or two people at a time, and it's all through direct connection to people I know. But it helps.

i also don't approve of outsourcing, as I feel it is bypassing America's labor laws by sending work to places where they don't have the same requirements and thus its cheaper. Plus, it's defeating keeping our talent and manufacturing ability here in the US. What're we gonna do when World War 2.5 kicks in with the people who make our stuff, and we don't have our own factories or know how to spin up making tanks and bombers?

But you know, just as my desire to kill telemarketing would kill your current job. my desire to kill outsourcing would kill somebody else's job, like the project manager who has to do conference calls to India to see how the project is going. Every thing a person wants is at odds with somebody else's want.

Remove ads