Wretched Fencer

Robbert Raets

Explorer
Bulak said:
That sucks. Where do you live, if I may ask? 'cause if someone from the USA can't get it, I'll probably have to wait a month or two before the first one even arrives in the Netherlands.

Uh... I doubt it.... :D :p

I could re-do this creature for you using my copies of SS and the FF?

Bulak

First Post
Robbert Raets said:
Uh... I doubt it.... :D :p

I could re-do this creature for you using my copies of SS and the FF?
You got the Fiend Folio?!
I guess that's what I get for not paying attention...

What would the changes be if you re-did it? If it only gets one more feat, it would get Weapon Focus (rapier).

Bulak

First Post
Here's the Wretched Fencer after Fiend Folio updating.

- - - - -

Wretched Fencer
Medium-Size Undead
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Rapier +6 melee
Full Attack: Rapier +6 melee
Damage: Rapier 1d6 (18-20/x2)
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, undead
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con -, Int -, Wis 9, Cha 6
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-5) or squad (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (medium-size)

These undead creatures have been created from the bodies of skilled fencers. The creation of a wretched fencer requires a Create Undead spell cast by a cleric of at least 11th level. When a body starts decaying, it cannot be used to create a wretched fencer anymore. Therefore, wretched fencers look almost the same as they did in life. The only clues that one is dealing with undead, are the eyes, in which a bright, red light shines, due to the magic that created the undead being.

Combat
Wretched fencers fight as the skilled fencers they once were. Although they’re mindless, wretched fencers retain the dexterity and fighting skills they had in life. They follow the instructions of their creators, but they can only follow simple, one line orders.
Undead: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.

- - - - -

Creatures without an Intelligence score don't get any skills in FF.
It also states clearly that creatures with Int receive feats just like characters. However, there's no information given for creatures without Int, or at least I couldn't find it. Since it says that creatures with an Intelligence score gain feats as the same rate as characters, regardless of type, I figured those without such a score would get them according to type, in the same way as mentioned in MMII.
So I gave it one feat: Weapon Finesse, which now no longer needs the (rapier) extension.
Does anyone know if this is right, or should this be a bonus feat?

I added/updated the Base Attack/Grapple, Attack, Full Attack lines. I don't think they're extremely useful, but they might come in handy every now and then...

Comments?

Edit: feat & flavor.

Last edited:

Bulak

First Post
Thanks. :D
I'll put some of my other creations up, as soon as I updated them. (Which may take a while, since I'm pretty busy.)

Clay_More

First Post
I actually noticed something. You mention in the description of the monster something about the "magic that created it", but there is no mentioning of which specific spell is used. You might want to add if it is Animate Dead, Create Undead or which spell it is.
You could, without ruining to monster too much, give it a movement rate of 40 ft. This is merely to reflect the fact that it relies more on its agility and maneouvrability than brute strength. A few ranks in Tumble and Jump might help to further this impression, I normally think that some skills, such as Tumble, Jump, Climb, Spot, Listen, should be available to un-intelligent creatures, since they reflect a natural cunning instead of learnt abilities.

Remove ads