Writer Beware? (a bit of a rant)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
All right, this has gone on long enough! :p

I'm an aspiring d20 author. I've made some stuff. I've given stuff to some people. I've produced free material in an effort to increase awareness of my mad phatty d20 skillz. I've recieved people telling me that they want to make a book out of my stuff. I've had people telling me they want to put my stuff in books. I've had people put my stuff in books and then completely ignore me after the fact. I had my first bit of d20 material published nearly two years ago by a rather successfull d20 company (not even a startup! It went to print!), and haven't heard from 'em sense. I was promised something like $50 for it (I think it was .02/word or along those lines). Where am I now? Nothing, but my material has sold them books. I had something published in a dual online-print publication by another well-established company. About $30 for the article, and this happened maybe about 5 months ago. I'm still waiting for the check to come that was promised me...

I've had publishers start talking to me, I send them drafts, they say "Oh, we were out of town and really busy," a year later. I've got editors (admittedly, of the more small-time companies that are done as side-projects) sitting on manuscripts that aren't more than 20 pages for months. I've had things published, and haven't recieved one red cent from my own effort and investment.

I'm having a LOT of bad experiences with some publishers out there. A LOT. In the words of Space Ghost: "A Super Lot!"

I just originally assumed it was a mistake, and was going to let it slide. But then more and more stuff started piling up, and now, I'm more than a little angry at being burned like this, over and over again.

I know one needs to be careful. I know a lot of times these are done as side-projects, and the people involved have normal jobs and families and classes that take prescedence over their publishing, and that's fine. But I've got the same thing, and I can complete my share of the work. I can give you material that has won awards. But even those who can follow through and publish it don't give me any reason to keep giving them material because they don't pay me for it, even though they said they would.

I'm not going to name names, and I'm not going to take anyone to court. That's just childish and petty and in the end accomplishes nothing. I'm sure these are real people, with real concerns, and that they certainly didn't *intend* to screw me over. But I've frickin' had enough. If the only thing you're going to do with my work is tell me how good it is, why the hell am I letting you sell it for a profit? If I wanted praise, I could give out free stuff that I don't work nearly as hard on (like the Goblonomicon or the Deity-A-Week thread which some might remember, or the Planetouched Madness thread that some may recall), and make everyone happy. But I've got a talent I've tried to market into something worth spending money on (because I've seen a lot of d20 fans spend money on crap. ;)), and I've been screwed over.

WHY?! Is this epidemic just my tale, or do other writers suffer from this kind of treatment as well? It's not even that my stuff is rejected...I could handle that...it's that my stuff is accepted, and then it dissappears into some vast black void, or it gets published, and then my *payment* dissappears into that same vast black void.

Have I contacted them about it? Really, would it accomplish anything? I'd rant and rave, they'd say "Okay, do you have the evidence? The reciept? The e-mail", I'd say "I knew I shouldn't have deleted those..." and then I'd be back at square one, but have pissed off some people in the process.

Look, I'm not asking for a lot. I've no delusions of being a multimillionaire on the backs of dice pips. But when people are willing to pay money to buy my things, I'd like to share in the wealth. And when people tell me they're sending my stuff to people who will pay money for them, I'd like that to actually happen. And I'd like for companies who reject me to not just be silent about it. And I'd like those who can't actually devote a few hours each day to their job to not tell me they can and will and to just be patient. I've been patient. I've been understanding. I've been screwed for it.

Why? Is it the culture of victimization? Is being a good d20 author such a worthless thing that people don't really feel bad when they treat me like that? My skills are a dime a dozen, is it, so you don't get a dime 'till you've given a dozen? Where's the professionalism? Where's the *business* end of things?

No, screw this. There was a time, a few years ago, when I would've been stoked to get an e-mail from a startup publisher who thought my ideas had merit. There was a time when I would've been content to not get paid for something that someone else sold, and would have just been happy to get it out there. There was a time when I would put up with small publishers who could take a year to edit a document. But now, all those things have come 'round and bit me in the pooper. I'm done. I've had it. I'm three inches short of getting a lawyer just so whoever decides to screw me over next makes sure to have the sword of justice shoved into their gullet. I'm not being a publisher's whipping boy anymore. My stuff is *good*. It's DANG good (for the most part. :p). It's worth at least .02/word, and probably even worth 20k a year. At the very minimum, it's worth the effort, the time, the imagination I put into it. It's worth the purchase of a d20 book (say, $20/mo).

But because I've gotten jacked up so much, because I've been ignored and treated unprofessionally and stepped all over in the grand quest for the paltry riches of d20, I've gotta stop and seriously wonder: how much do you publishers value ME? Am I not worth a few hours of editing a day? Am I not worth the consideration of keeping in contact with? Am I not worth a rejection letter? Not worth a promised paycheck? Can I be ignored?

Yeah, maybe. I mean, like the story goes, every DM wants to publish their work, right? One thing this community will never lack for is creative minds. At least, until you treat enough of them like garbage? You know what, probably not even then. There's a sucker born every minute, ne?

I guess I'm just finished being a sucker. If you want me, I'll be skulking in my room, hunched over my monster manual, my head filled with ideas that would make you money, but which won't, because you're too effing busy to bother doing what you said you'd do.

And the next time someone gripes about the state of uncreative goose eggs that the d20 community is putting out, I really hope you're proud of that, because you've sent at least one golden-egg-laying goose into skulky suspicion. You could all have gold, if you just thought that goose was worth your time.

Sniff you jerks later,
JD

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It does make for good reading... (Or, maybe, it will actually cause some change...)

There should be some sort of Better Business Beureau for these guys, where folks who've worked with them can go and give awards or demerits or something....though I'm assuming the logistics would be hell to pull off. ;)

I mean, mentioning the names might make a few people sympathize enough with me to do some sort of boycott, but I don't think that this is malicious or intentional on their part...just very very very irresponsible.

Lizard

Explorer
I've been writing for D20 and other games since late 2000 (I think my first published work was in Relics & Rituals I), with more credits than I can trivially remember at this point. (Still got nothing on Mearls, though...) Other than a book project which fell apart because the publisher got hit with the first wave of the D20 collapse and didn't have the money to go to print, I've never had any problems with unpaid work. I've had only one experience where I've submitted contracted material and had it not used (space, not quality, issues). I've occasionally had to poke or prod to get my author's copies or a check, but in every case, there were reasonable circumstances (often, a changeover of personnel leaving a lot of people hanging) and the issue was quickly resolved.

The surest thing to do is ask for a printed contract when you're asked to submit work. If a company is unwilling to send you a contract when asked, be wary. Such contracts are 99% boilerplate and can be spit out in a few minutes by standard legal software; it is not much to ask for and it protects the company's interests as well as your own.

It sounds as if your experience, if not unique, is somewhat atypical.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Well, if you do name names, people here may be able to tell you *why* you haven't been paid and/or contacted.

Of course, you really should contact these companies first yourself before you name names, but if you get no response, then post here and the community might be able to shed some light on the subject (or provide you with better contact info).

For example, Mystic Eye Games has apparently been silent lately due to health issues with its personnel. It's hard to conduct business from a bed. (Er, well, it's hard to conduct certain business from a bed. ;) )

Good luck, though...

Insight

Adventurer
I'm sorry, but what exactly are you hoping to accomplish with this post?

Looks to me like you've been ignored, possibly abused, but mostly ignored by certain publishers (who you don't name), who have allegedly sold your work and not paid you. Are you doing anything about this, other than complaining in a post?

I've not seen your work (as far as I know anyway), so I can't comment on anything specific as to your contributions to the d20 world. As you note however (and rightly so), there are dozens and dozens of writers out there, creative folks with enough time to put together some materials for publication. What separates your work from those other people? Are you writing about a subject that's been done to death, or are you adding something new to the genre for which you're writing? One thing that can really be a problem for a publisher with limited space to fill is making sure that whatever they decide to publish is going to sell. Something that's already been done before is likely not going to sell as well as something new and unique.

I am also an aspiring d20 writer (although writing just for d20 is not my end goal in this), but I have found ways to get my name in print (or will anyway, very soon). I have done this by trying alternate routes to get published. Online publications are a much easier avenue, since electronic media 'publications' aren't really limited by space so much. In order to sell product, however, these publications need to be fresh and have interesting articles, adventures, etc. Online publications are also more timely, and can be produced in more manageable numbers than a print product, which often costs thousands of dollars just to get to market (not to mention production costs, paying writers, artists, etc). There are also times when you're getting started that you will need to submit articles to free publications, just to get your name in print (or e-print I guess), and to add to that writing resume. Look at these as opportunities to get published, even if you're not being paid.

There are some bad eggs out there in the d20 publishing industry, that's for certain. Maybe you managed to hit all of the bad ones (or maybe I got lucky and found one of the good ones). All I know is that while there doesn't seem to be a lack of opportunity, most people are NOT going to make a living purely off writing for d20 products. Apart from the few staffers at WOTC and other successful game companies, most people involved in the game industry are part-timers (at least income-wise). A lot of d20 authors supplement their income by writing fiction, non-fiction, or even in some capacity outside of writing altogether. I wouldn't look to the game industry to provide you with a steady income right now if I were you, and to be honest, your expectations seem a little high.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
JD, I hear you loud and clear. I had the same problem you describe, and I went to the utmost end of frustration and annoyance because of this. In the end, I decied to do something with all that pent up anger, and turned it around and opened Highmoon Media Productions. I decided to take things into my own hands, and put it as gospel that I'd never treat anyone like I'd been treated. Though so far I've only published stuff written by me, I do have a few freelancers working on projects, and the first thing they got from me after we had settled on all points was a contract.

I'm far happier now than before; I like having control over my material and being able to offer other writers like myself a chance at publication based on honesty. The day I treat others like I was treated is the day I stop doing this. I also know I am not alone on this, so it's not an universal problem.

I'm actually quite happy today because I finally settled an outstanding issue I had with a publisher, from material I write over two years ago, and that has been already in print since last Gen Con. It was a small sum, hardly worth the migraines I got over it, but I was not going to let my work be used for free when it was generating them money. The other outstanding balance I am owed will probably never materialize, and though it still bothers me, I've gotten over it (this was from Fast Forward Entertainment, which I only mention cause they are out of business).

Hang in there, but respect yourself. Always ask for a contract, and if you don't get one, get your material back; there certainly are other publishers out there who will be interested in your stuff. Good luck.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
One thing that can really be a problem for a publisher with limited space to fill is making sure that whatever they decide to publish is going to sell. Something that's already been done before is likely not going to sell as well as something new and unique.

The problem isn't that I'm not getting accepted, it's that the other end of the business isn't holding up it's end of the deal. I mean, yeah, I sound kinda egotistical in the first post, but the problem isn't in getting them to take my stuff, it's in getting the end result out of it.

Looks to me like you've been ignored, possibly abused, but mostly ignored by certain publishers (who you don't name), who have allegedly sold your work and not paid you. Are you doing anything about this, other than complaining in a post?

I'm calling attention to something that seems from my perspective to be an endemic problem. I wasn't ignored by them until after they took my work (and in some cases published it). I'm seeing if others have that problem to see how far this is a common experience in this industry. If publishers suspect that they may be guilty of this, maybe they'll start to pay more attention to it.

Well, if you do name names, people here may be able to tell you *why* you haven't been paid and/or contacted.

I don't doubt that there are reasons that seem perfectly valid. What irks me isn't just the fact that I haven't been paid or contacted, it's that it's happened over and over again, with many different publishers, larger and smaller, without any explanation. I work for these guys. I shouldn't have to call them out on a message board to get an explanation, right?

JD, I hear you loud and clear. I had the same problem you describe, and I went to the utmost end of frustration and annoyance because of this.

See, maybe I'm just a hopeless idealist, but it shouldn't take two years to get an outstanding couple of bucks. A month? Two? Three? I don't have the time or inclination to hunt down every stray buck-fifity. Or is it suddenly the writer's job to do the publisher's bookkeeping for them?

I'm glad my problem isn't isolated, and I'm also glad it just seems that I hit one of the bad streams...

Insight

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
I don't doubt that there are reasons that seem perfectly valid. What irks me isn't just the fact that I haven't been paid or contacted, it's that it's happened over and over again, with many different publishers, larger and smaller, without any explanation. I work for these guys. I shouldn't have to call them out on a message board to get an explanation, right?

I think the problem is that you're NOT calling them out. You're calling out the industry as a whole, which doesn't really do much to further your case. Maybe if the individual publishers in question were pointed out, it would at least warn the rest of us not to do business with these people. When I first saw the title of your post, that's rather what I was expecting.

Is there any reason not to name names? They aren't paying you NOW, so what harm would it do to tattle on them at this point? It's not like they can do anything other than what they've already done, which from what it sounds like is ignore you and not pay you. How much worse could it get if you specified the problem publishers?

Crothian

First Post
I've actually heard similar stories, though not to this extent from some of the bigger names in the industry. There seems to be some companies that just burn writers and don't pay. You really have two choices, give up or start taking a tougher stand. Write them more often, get their business phone number and call them up. When you ar eat convnetions they are at go talk to them, be polite but firm. I know of a few free lancers who hit up publishers on the last day of Origins and Gen con, when the publishers have cash from the con, and they got paid then and there.

Remove ads