• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Writer Beware? (a bit of a rant)

Varianor Abroad said:
Short 'n sweet. If you did work, and didn't get paid, the other party's in violation of a contract. What you do at that point is up to you. Legally, you're entitled to collect. Proving the case? Different story. Talk to your lawyer. :)
That's my point, though: while one may be entitled to collect, short of legal action you aren't going to get the money if the publisher simply decides not to pay. You've no other recourse. Now, whether that legal action involves the publisher saying "we never had an agreement" and the writer having to prove one existed or another angle entirely, is different. Either way, having a signed contract to show is definately the way to go.

The hard lesson I learned during my first freelancer experience with Palladium Books is always hope for the best but prepare for the wost.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The fact that no contract was issued makes me wonder if your material was later cut from the book for editing reasons. Have you picked up a copy and double checked that your material is actually in it? Something else to strongly consider (depending on the subject matter) is that it is possible that more than one person submitted the same idea.

I picked up a copy, it's there, the text is pretty identical, and there's even an illustration accompanying it....

How much time has passed since your submission? If it has been more than 3 months and they are still giving you the runaround, then simply email them and explain that you have dealt with them in good faith, but feel that sufficient time has elapsed for them to make a concrete decision.

More than 5 months in the most recent situation, and longer for the others....

but with a collection agency working for you you should go from riding in the back of the bus to the driver's seat in your dispute

(strongbad)a cut-off-your-toes-style collection agency(/strongbad)

Remove ads