• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Writer Beware? (a bit of a rant)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
malladin said:
Please, be my guest! I'm sure it takes twice as long and no where near as much fun to work out, write up, check, double check, correct mistakes, check again and double check again a single epic level character as it would be to wite 5000 words of a nice new system or PrC!!

I had one writer I asked to stat up some D20M Ordinaries for me call it 'the professional equivalent of pulling teeth'. Unfortunately dentists get paid a lot more :).

Cheerio,

Ben

Yeah, I did some 3.0 -> 3.5 conversions of some 20th level multi-classed characters and each one took over an hour to do. I can only imagine what an epic one would take to do from scratch.

The skill points alone are just killers. You have to worry about cross-class skills, synergies, ability point increases, feats, etc.

Ghostwind

First Post
DaveMage said:
Yeah, I did some 3.0 -> 3.5 conversions of some 20th level multi-classed characters and each one took over an hour to do. I can only imagine what an epic one would take to do from scratch.

The skill points alone are just killers. You have to worry about cross-class skills, synergies, ability point increases, feats, etc.

I average about 5 hours to create a 45th-level NPC for my epic group.

Kamikaze Midget said:
...and here I was expecting businesses to be businesslike....hmmm, silly me. :heh:
Actually it is businesslike not to pay on time. Ask anyone who works in a large company's accounts receivable department. :)

It's funny. After seeing your recent articles I was going to email you asking why you don't publish your stuff. Now I know.

Ghostwind

First Post
Napftor said:
In regards to it being your job to track down your pay, well it kind of is. Freelancing is like no other job you'll have. Each boss is different, with his or her own quirks and needs. Each job pays something different with varying methods and times of such payments. My suggestion is this: establish a folder for each company you work for. For every company you work for, place inside the folder any scrap of information pertaining to the work you do for them (contracts, important emails, project notes, whatever). This has worked well for me to keep everything organized.

Bret is right that freelancing does involve the aspect of you being responsible for making sure you get paid. Many publishers ask that you invoice them (meaning you type up a bill and send it to them). Others take it upon themselves to send out the checks. Either way, you need to keep records to that fact.

Kamikaze Midget said:
The closest situation to mine has been the first one, except terms were discussed, but no contract was issued. In the cases where I'm missing actual money, the terms were right there on the table at the submission stage. Those scenarios basically were:

Publisher: "Hey, world, we're looking for X, we're gonna pay Y, it's due by Z, go for it."
Me: "Oh boy, I can do X by Z!" *writes and submits*
Publisher: "Thanks, this kicks ass, we're gonna use it." *goes to print, sells some copies*
Me: "Okay, that rocks. Now about payment...?"
Publisher: "Yep, we're working on it!"
And then.......silence (for the most part).

This sounds an awful lot like an open call. Open calls generally result in somewhere between 100-200 individuals submitting material for consideration. The fact that no contract was issued makes me wonder if your material was later cut from the book for editing reasons. Have you picked up a copy and double checked that your material is actually in it? Something else to strongly consider (depending on the subject matter) is that it is possible that more than one person submitted the same idea. I can tell you from first-hand experience that this does happen quite often. The number of people who submitted some kind of acid weapon for Arms & Armor was quite amusing.

Another thing about open calls harkens back to what I said earlier regarding contracts. You said the publisher never sent a contract? Yet without a signed contract he should not include the material in the book. In this situation, I would go back through all of my email correspondances with him and make sure a contract wasn't sent as an attachement (very common thing). If there was no contract, my next action would be to confirm that my material was used by checking it out for myself (this may mean buying a copy of said book). If it is there and payment was based on word count, start counting. Next, compose a new letter to the publisher stating you have a copy of the book in hand and by your count, you show X number of words and at Y cents per word, you show them owing you Z dollars. Remind them that by publishing your words without a signed contractual agreement, they have left themselves open to legal action. Then follow that with a statement like, "I do not wish to be forced to pursue that course of action and feel that this matter can be handled responsibly and efficiently so we can both focus out attention elsewhere on other important matters. If you would be so kind as to email me a copy of the contract immediately, I will sign it and mail it to you right away. Once you receive the contract, you can remit payment." Obviously at this stage, you will send the contract via registered mail with confirmation of delivery. That way you avoid the "it hasn't arrived yet" line.

Now if the publisher actually has sent the contract and you just missed it, then you should do the following (again, confirming your material has actually been published first), compose an email to the publisher saying something to the effect of "First of all, I want to offer you an apology. I have gone back through my records and found that I missed your email that contained the contract. I have signed it and mailed it via registered mail. You should have it in your hands within a day or so. According to my records, the amount owed for this project is X dollars. I have attached an invoice for that amount for your bookkeeping convenience. With contract and invoice in hand, you should be able to remit payment whereby both of us can focus on other matters."
Kamikaze Midget said:
Publisher: "Hey, your stuff looks interesting! We'd like to publish this! We'll pay you Y, give it to us by Z. Give us your material!"
Me: "Okay, here you go!" *writes and submits*
Publisher: "Awesome, looks great, we'll look it over and get back to you!"
Me: "Super!"
*waits*
Me: "Hey, about that getting back to me....?"
Publisher: "We're working on it!"
*waits*
Me: "Uhm, guys....?"
Publisher: "We've been busy! DOO DEE DOOO!"
This is normal for publishers. Understand that with the exception of a few companies (Wotc, White Wolf, AEG, Steve Jackson Games), most publishers are very small operations (1 or 2 man) and are juggling all aspects of the business. When they say they are busy, that's because they likely are. How much time has passed since your submission? If it has been more than 3 months and they are still giving you the runaround, then simply email them and explain that you have dealt with them in good faith, but feel that sufficient time has elapsed for them to make a concrete decision. Therefore, you would them to release the manuscript back to you (this is more of a formality because you own the manuscript and its rights until you sign a contract saying otherwise). They will either get serious about it or give it back to you. Plain and simple.
Kamikaze Midget said:
It still irks me a lot that publishers can get away with that on a semi-regular basis by the sounds of it, and maybe in the future I'll be a little bit hyper-sensitive to such things, but I don't think it's gonna push me totally away. It just ain't right that they can do that to people.
While it may not be right, it is a reality of the world we live in. Many people are under the mistaken opinion that publishing roleplaying games is a lucrative business (partly because of Wotc's high profile). Most game manufacturers are literally one bad release away from bankruptcy. Quite often, this means the freelance writers and illustrators suffer the most. After all, the printer requires payment up front before doing the job (there goes $12,000) and if you are paying someone to do layout (most publishers are doing this themselves) that's another expense that gets paid first. Next comes paying the editor (usually .005 to .02 cents a word) and the artists before the writers get paid. Oh, did I mention that distributors get a 60% discount on the retail price when they buy and place their orders? When it's all said and done, the average book only nets about $4.00 profit which is what he uses to pay his development expenses to the above parties.
reanjr said:
I gotta ask, cause it's something I've wondered about for a long time. Does anyone pay royalties? It seems like the most sensical thing to do for a small publisher.
It's a very rare thing for a publisher to pay royalites because of the paperwork involved in writing checks to you every month for a very small sum (less than $20). Like Wulf said, it's more work than it's worth. However, if you strongly believe you have the next biggest hit on your hands and it will sell better than Eberron, the royalty route can be a wise choice. But let's be practical about the odds of that happening. Pretty slim at best.
Whisperfoot said:
My recommendation is that if your name appears in print, take this to the big publishers who are less likely to stiff you, and hit them up for some work. I think you'll be happier with the end result.
This is so true. Having your name in a print credential will help you with future publishers as long as you are consistently writing to spec and hitting your deadlines.
jmucchiello said:
Actually it is businesslike not to pay on time. Ask anyone who works in a large company's accounts receivable department.
Bingo. That's why you see big companies use terms like net 90 which means payment due within 90 days from date of invoice.

Red Baron

First Post
Hey, just thought I'd chime in to say "Yes, I've been shafted before." Twice. Only one occurrence was a game publisher, about 2.5 years ago, but for a considerable sum. The offensive -- er, offending... no, actually I *did* mean offensive -- company is still in business, though at a greatly reduced capacity and only in pdfs, I believe, aside from one game line from among the many they used to carry. I've contacted them on numerous occasions, and the response has been, almost invariably, "Oh, gee, sorry. I thought my partner had already sent you a cheque."

<cough, bullsh*t, cough>

In fact, I just saw one of the offend... er, offensive fellows here at the GTS, and, after his brainless response to my inquiry at GenCon last year, I couldn't be bothered to try to talk to him again. Boy, I was awfully tempted to punch his throat in, though... (Yikes, what does that say about me...?!)

Black Knight

First Post
I too have been kicked in the testicles by a few companies (must be a professional by now: owed money by a few and had some killed lines from other companies going belly up). I have always attempted to contact the companies where I could and meet a reasonable agreement after I had been put on the back burner repeatedly. But finally, even my eternal patience wore thin.

That's when another publisher gave me a tip to check out Dun & Bradstreet Receivable Management Services. I have sent a number of publishers who delayed or "drop off the radar" to these kind folks and have gotten some pretty good results. In the long run, you won't get the same total you were promised and worked so hard to get (D&B takes their cut off the top), but with a collection agency working for you you should go from riding in the back of the bus to the driver's seat in your dispute.

Here's their website: http://www.rmsna.com/khome.htm

If you can find one, try to see if you have any of those lawyers that handle copyright law in your area. Sit down for a long meeting with this person, ask questions, and take quite a few notes. The hour to two hours you spend with this person (and possibly $75 - $200 for the consultation) could end up being gold in your corner in the future. Occasionally (when the situation merits), these lawyers have the heaviest punch of all weapons in a freelancer's arsenal. They can send legal warning letters to publishers who are unwilling to communicate about delayed payments (be sure you have a signed contract and catalogue your communication attempts), and if things go really sour (I've had this happen to me twice) the lawyer can help you get a judge to place an injunction on the work until the matter is resolved.

Good Luck!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I've had one experience from either side of the field (in the rpg industry).

One was where i wanted to buy some art from a freelancer, we where both not very experienced so it took a while before we both figured out how to transfer the money to his account and get the 300+MB file onto my server. But in the end we where both satisfied. We never signed a contract or anything, just two adults making an agreement and living up to it (i want what you made, what do you want for it? I want x for it. Ok i'll pay more then your asking because i think it's worth more then your asking for it.).

The other was were i responded to a publisher who was looking for a speed job in the map making department (60+ hour job), after some contact and an example of what i could do we agreed on a price a time frame, etc. I was prepared to proceed in good faith, until they started about the necesity of a contract, so i thought sure why not they're paying for it. The only problem was that the materials i needed from them and was promised, took a long, long time to get e-mailed to me, even after prodding from my side. I finally told them that if they couldn't produce the promised (and needed) materials on time i couldn't make the agreed deadline, and i still hadn't gotten their contract that they wanted me to sign. Finally i told them that if they couldn't get their act together and send me their contract i still had to sign by x then the whole deal wouldn't go through (i gave them two weeks). I finally got the contract more then a week after the deadline i set, way past the initial deadline they set, so i didn't go through with the job. My reasoning is that if they can't get their act together in their own best interest, what would happen when they need to get their act together when they need to do something in my best interest (like paying me). Lucky for me i only finished about 10% before i realised something wasn't kosher (i had taken the two weeks before the dealine off my regular job to complete the rush job in time).

Strangely enough i have felt more satisfied with the 'non profesional' approach, then with the (supposedly) 'profesional' approach...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads