• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Writers strike is a go

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Honestly, I hope it works out well for the writers. They get no real recognition for their work beyond the show's credits (which are shown so fast in such a small font that it's almost meaningless), so I think it's not too much to ask that they get more money.

I am, however, quite worried about not getting more of Heroes. And Heroes: Origins is canceled?! Surely that can't be right?!

Also, it's a bit odd that the ABC listing has nothing about Boston Legal.

Grog

First Post
Here's another post about the issues involved in the writers' strike from Mark Evanier.

I don't mean to cry poverty here...just misrepresentation of the norm. Some writers do receive staggering sums of cash. This is generally because they contribute to something that makes even more staggering sums of cash. No one is expecting you to feel sorry for them but don't pretend we're all in that tax bracket. Besides, very little of the current contract dispute pertains to them, at least on a monetary level. The contract is all about setting minimums and the really rich writers didn't get that way working for minimums.

I can explain this better with the actors. The average actor is not Leonardo DiCaprio, considering which of his $15 million dollar offers he'll take next. The average actor is more like Herman Krellman, waiting tables at night and hustling to get auditions by day, hoping to land a two line part on some show every so often. Next year, when the Screen Actors Guild contract is up for renewal and the Producers try to lower costs there, they'll point to Leonardo and say, "Look how overpaid these actors are!" And then they'll (a) push for contract terms that will not significantly affect Mr. DiCaprio's income but will lower Herman's pay the next time he gets a job...and (b) offer Leonardo $25 million for his next movie.

Ranger REG

Explorer
So, the stumbling block is getting royalty from motion picture download over the internet?

I don't see why that's a problem. Give writers their royalties for every episode or film being bought and downloaded over the internet. If that result in jacking up the price, so be it.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I'm suprized by the idea of "just switch to reality TV" and the claims that the reality shows aren't affected as well. I suppose it's possible that the writing done on those shows isn't officially screenwriting by the terms of the current contract (I seem to recall past arguments about that issue) and thus they can get away with having non guild members doing it.

Edit : I want to see a list like the one above for the shows that will effect my household - what happens to the Good Night Show? and the Let's Go Show? Is Zaboomafoo still in production???? Luckily Thomas and a lot of the Kahuna Meatball's other favorites are british imports.... ;)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Piratecat said:
Bah. I have a whole lot of writer friends; I hope it's settled soon.

I feel for the writers if it is not settled soon. And I fear for the health of a few shows I really like.

But, overall, I gotta say - if there isn't any good TV, I have a cornucopia of novels to read, and games to play. Having less TV to watch isn't going to be much of a hardship.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It'll be interesting to see what existing shows do when the writers come back though; they'll have to be some pretty interesting in-character alterations made to fit the fact that not as many episodes were made this season.

Lockridge

First Post
Umbran said:
I feel for the writers if it is not settled soon. And I fear for the health of a few shows I really like.

But, overall, I gotta say - if there isn't any good TV, I have a cornucopia of novels to read, and games to play. Having less TV to watch isn't going to be much of a hardship.

Good point,
So no TV means more time for playing D&D, trying other games, reading the stack of unread books on my shelf, taking walks, trying new places to eat, hanging out with friends, watching some TV show DVDs that I haven't had time for (such as Babylon 5 - bought it on sale but no time to watch it). Oh, and of course more family time is always good.

Hmm...bad thing? not sure...

Jubilee

First Post
I haven't watched "live" TV in about 5 years, so I'm largely unaffected, although my husband and I have gotten addicted to Lost on DVD, but we haven't seen season 3 yet.. I was considering going to the trouble of watching Lost on my fuzzy, poor-reception, no-cable TV if we caught up before it started, but now I guess I won't bother. I hope they still finish out the season eventually..:(

I have been very much looking forward to the release of the Futurama movies, I wonder if they will be affected?? I would cry!

I am fully in support of the writers guild standing up for their right to a slice of the internet money pie, though!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads