X-Files season 10

Nytmare

David Jose
They did a few comedy episodes like that in the original series too.

Yeah, but I don't know if deciding that 1/6 of this new season needs to be spent on every popular stylistic choice they made over the previous 9 seasons is a good choice.

It's kind of jarring, and (aside from the Mulder/Scully belief switcheroo) flies in the face of what it felt like they were trying to establish with the new run.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I think they may be trying to grab new viewers with the old schtick and then soon they will show their new aqct.

Asmo

First Post
Yeah, but I don't know if deciding that 1/6 of this new season needs to be spent on every popular stylistic choice they made over the previous 9 seasons is a good choice.

It's kind of jarring, and (aside from the Mulder/Scully belief switcheroo) flies in the face of what it felt like they were trying to establish with the new run.

Well, the ratings seems to indicate that they are on the right track. The ratings for the latest episode was slightly down from the second episode.

http://www.fox.com/the-x-files/article/the-x-files-breaks-worldwide-ratings?cmpid=sf20097925

Asmo

First Post
As a long time fan, I found this episode to be one of the best, easily among my top 25. It really brought back that warm & fuzzy feeling of the good, old times. Can't wait until next monday!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
As a long time fan, I found this episode to be one of the best, easily among my top 25. It really brought back that warm & fuzzy feeling of the good, old times. Can't wait until next monday!
Yeah, I loved it. It was a classic Darin Morgan episode - great stuff. In a similar vein, a local channel showed "Bad Blood" later on in the evening, so we got two comic X-Files episodes in one evening.

Loved the homage to Kim Manners! Sam and Dean would be proud.

If this episode aired in the original run, it would have been great. The camp was dead on, there were lots of little background things to catch, the banter was good. And it was good to prove that the show isn't going 100% in the conspiracy direction, because I always watched X-files as a "monster of the week" show and was kind of worried about that with the first two reboot episodes.

But I have to say that, airing now, this episode confused the crap out of me. I have no idea what the heck is going on with Mulder's weird late-life crisis (55 is too late to call it a mid-life crisis). I have no idea what the relationship between Mulder and Scully is supposed to be. Heck, I still don't understand why they're working for the FBI again or what their jobs are supposed to be. And I don't have a handle on what the tone of the reboot is going to be like, because they've just shown us two huge extremes.

Asmo

First Post
But I have to say that, airing now, this episode confused the crap out of me. I have no idea what the heck is going on with Mulder's weird late-life crisis (55 is too late to call it a mid-life crisis). I have no idea what the relationship between Mulder and Scully is supposed to be. Heck, I still don't understand why they're working for the FBI again or what their jobs are supposed to be. And I don't have a handle on what the tone of the reboot is going to be like, because they've just shown us two huge extremes.

I´ll just copy/paste a post that sums up what I´m thinking at the moment.

"I loved every single thing about this episode.

I loved that a long-desired contact and conversation with an actual monster is precisely what Mulder needed to assuage his mid-life crisis. Scully recognizing the enthusiasm in this Mulder ("my Mulder" who is "bat crap crazy") is just the punch in the arm their relationship needs. Mulder, who's undoubtedly been adrift and purposeless for far too long, was probably a challenging person for Scully to live with."

Elf Witch

First Post
If this episode aired in the original run, it would have been great. The camp was dead on, there were lots of little background things to catch, the banter was good. And it was good to prove that the show isn't going 100% in the conspiracy direction, because I always watched X-files as a "monster of the week" show and was kind of worried about that with the first two reboot episodes.

Did you watch the second movie? That has some explanation of why Mulder is like he is now. I thought it was pretty clear in the first episode Milder has been living out of sight and out of touch since leaving the X Files. He and Scully are no longer a couple because she couldn't take what he had become. He gets drwan back in and finds out that it is very possible that everything he believed in was wrong and that he has been lead by his nose. Hence his deepening mid life crisis. After the first episode they go back as FBI agents so they can do something about the new danger. It was pretty clear to me.

I don't think the tone has changed as much as it has evolved they are both older, they both are dealing with realizing that they have lost 15 years of their son life and they love each other but can't live together. I think it is spot on maybe because I hit 58 this year and I can see how I have changed. And I don't think 55 is to late for a midlife crisis.

Remove ads