X Marks The Spot: A Free Magic: the Gathering D&D Adventure

Chupacabra stats, nice...

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
There is a Ranger Beast Master character as one of the PC choices. The pet included does not follow the PH regarding AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as the proficiency bonus was not added to those. In short - it should be better. I thought that was humorous.

Check the math before you play, people.

The Vampire PC also seems to be missing at least 1 skill prof as well (2 from Cleric, 2 from Knowledge Domain, 2 from Noble Background). Specifically he should be proficient in History from his background.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So it seems this adventure includes a Vampire player race. I have tried to reverse engineer the race assuming Standard Array Stats.

Wis +2
Cha +2 (Could also be either Int or Con, but the power of personality vampires traditionally command seems to make this make more sense)
Con +1 (Could also be Cha or Int, but given the hardiness of traditional vampires, this makes more sense to me).

Darkvision 60 ft.

Resistance to necrotic damage

Bloodthirst - drain blood from willing creature or target that is grappled, incapacitated, or restrained; melee attack (1d6 + Str necrotic damage); target's hit point maximum reduced by necrotic damage dealt until after a long rest

My Reasoning: Seems to be modified by strength. The example vampire's strength modifier is +0. So the attack could deal just 1d6 damage, or 1d6 + Str. I'm willing to bet the latter.

Feast of Blood - when you drain blood with Bloodthirst, your speed increases by 10 feet and gain advantage on Strength and Dexterity checks and saving throws for 1 minute

Languages: Common and Vampire

It is odd that the Plane Shift PDF for Ixalan hasn't been released yet, but you should find the Vampire specs in the Zendikar document helpful:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Ah, I forgot about that. Still, they went off the rails a little bit if that was the basis for the PC presented in the adventure. If they were using Standard Array, they definitely give Wis +2, but have a floating +1 to make one of the 13s a 14, and a floating +2 to make one of the 12s a 14. Additionally, they don't include the 1 piercing damage in the bloodthirst attack, and have added the feast of blood ability. They also removed the ability of a vampire to create a null.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ah, I forgot about that. Still, they went off the rails a little bit if that was the basis for the PC presented in the adventure. If they were using Standard Array, they definitely give Wis +2, but have a floating +1 to make one of the 13s a 14, and a floating +2 to make one of the 12s a 14. Additionally, they don't include the 1 piercing damage in the bloodthirst attack, and have added the feast of blood ability. They also removed the ability of a vampire to create a null.

Well I wouldn't put it past them to play fast and loose, as another poster noted earlier - check the math! :)

Satyrn

First Post
Interesting that they have it up for free: testing how many people want it?

They have all the Magic D&D stuff up for free.

I'd assume it's meant to entice some Magic players into giving D&D a try, giving them something they're familiar with to start with.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Not a huge fan of the map of Ixalan (especially as there's no scale provided!) - but I also don't like how murky it is either.

Anyway - here's a guess at how Ixalan maps onto some recognizable scale (overlaid on the Gulf of Mexico in case that's unclear :) ):

View attachment 91955

So that would make it roughly 1500 miles across east to west.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And here's a hex gridded version of the map so distances are easier to figure out:

View attachment 91958

I know the distances are a bit larger than the adventure suggests (i.e. it's more than a days travel between the forts) but to me it seems much more viable as a campaign as there's room for different things to coexist.

Edit: But of course you can set a hex grid at whatever scale you want :)

Remove ads

Remove ads