• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X-Men Comic question:

mooby

First Post
how does rogue get the powers of super strength and the ability to fly?

I seem to remember her draining someone elses ability to do that, and gaining it permanently, but I haven't picked up a comic in years.

I don't know about the comic books, but in one of the previous cartoons, there was a mutant named (I believe) Marvel Girl. She had the strength, invulnerability, and flying abilities.

In the cartoon, Mystique (pretending to be her foster mother) has Rogue drain M.G., and keep on draining, until she'd drained all her powers, and sent her into a coma.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Rogue did get her powers by draining them from another superhuman, named Ms. Marvel. Marvel Girl was Jean Grey's first code-name.

Ms. Marvel had powers similar to the original Captain Marvel of Marvel comics, an alien (Kree) super-hero not to be confused with the guy who yells Shazam! over in DC comics. Ms. Marvel had super-strength, flight, resistance to injury, and a "seventh sense" which Rogue never seemed to show.

Rogue was originally a bad guy, and got Ms. Marvel's powers when she held onto her for too long. Permanent transfer is a risk whenever Rogue maintains contact for too long. Rogue also took all of Ms. Marvel's memories and psyche, resulting in some split personality stuff for a while (and total amnesia for Ms. Marvel). This is what brought Rogue to Charles Xavier, for help in getting her head straight. Ms. Marvel had been a friend to the X-Men, and thus Rogue was extremely unwelcome by the other X-Men.

Ms. Marvel later recovered her memories, and gained new powers as Binary. Then those powers got toned down, and she eventually became Ms. Marvel again and was running with the Avengers for a while.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
And then she became Warbird. I think.

It's annoying how often the Avengers of the past have changed their identities.

I wonder how the Marvelverse media thinks of it.

Staffan

Legend
Chun-tzu said:
Ms. Marvel had super-strength, flight, resistance to injury, and a "seventh sense" which Rogue never seemed to show.
Sure she did. Maybe not to the extent she used the other abilities, but I do remember a comic where she, Nightcrawler and (IIRC) Colossus fought Magus (Warlock's dad), and she got some use of that "seventh sense". That fight also featured Nightcrawler's first use of the "teleport away a part of someone" trick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads