• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X-Men Legends

JoeGKushner

First Post
John Crichton said:
Truer words were never spoken, my friend. It is my curse (yeah, I know - not really a curse). Now that I actually have the income to support my gaming habit I have little time to ACTUALLY play the games.

To compound matters I haven't even touched Fable, yet. It's been sitting here for a week. I am a sad man. And as I type this I realize that I should be playing it and not posting on a MB. Oh, the irony. Not to mention the stupidity...

EDIT: I finally snapped. Cancelled a preorder for something else (not the Star Wars stuff) and ordered Legends. I am a shill for the gaming industry.

Well, if you really are having a hard time with Fable, I'll send you a Conan (first printing) and Trigun d20 for your trouble and you can send it to me!

Janx

Hero
It played pretty much like Dark Alliance when I tried it at the GameCrazy yesterday.

Pretty fun.

Sounds like I have to earn characters before I can use the MultiTap... :(

Janx

John Crichton

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Well, if you really are having a hard time with Fable, I'll send you a Conan (first printing) and Trigun d20 for your trouble and you can send it to me!
Thanks for the offer but I'll get to it eventually, I'm sure. It's just a matter of time.

I hope.

fba827

Adventurer
been playing the game for several hours now and it's fun :) can't get past pyro - then again, i haven't been played video games since NES and so I'm still trying to get down the coordination...

Multiplayer modes were cool. Though was a little awkward when it was just a solo-person scene and the other player was just sitting there watching.

but, so far, i'm pretty happy with it :)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Psychotic Dreamer said:
So is anyone else really excited about this game?

I know I am. I've even gone and pre-ordered it, even though I shouldn't have. From everything I've read it sounds like it'd be close to Balder's Gate or Everquest on the consoles. Which is pretty cool to me. Especially considering there are something like 15 playable characters. Not to mention cool unlockable costumes from earlier era's of the X-Men.

It's kind of set in the Ultimate X-Men universe, but also pulls from earlier sources and such. Which makes it, it's own X-Men continuity, I guess. Which is ok with me. :)

*Impatiently taps his foot and mutters something about hating to have to wait*
Well, is it all that it is....a good game?

Jeremy

Explorer
Tons of fun. Put about 70 hours on it so far. 20+ with 3 other players. Definately much more fun with 4 players.

fba827

Adventurer
For me ....

Pros:
* characters I like and am familiar with (speaking of xmen in general as well as certain xmen i am particularly fond of)
* unique moves, abilities, and design for each character (not simply clones in different clothes)
* upgradable and customizable characters
* the progressive nature of the hints and danger room helps me a lot (mainly because this is the first video game I have played sine NES so I am not used to the controls or amount of coordination required to handle the controler)
* Watcing Nightcrawler do his leap of faith ability alone just makes me smile :)
* The options for sparring in the danger room are neat (playing as some of the enemies you've unlocked, as well as playing as the characters with fully upgraded abilities, etc.)
* It really captures and emphasizes the team work nature of xmen
* Up to 4 people can play on away missions
* graphics and music
* Though mainly a slash-em-up sort of thing, there is some actual story and a couple missions that are not purely seek and destory (there are parts where you have to lead helpless persons out within a time limit all the while avoiding dangers, etc.)
* Patrick Stewart's voice... 'nough said. ;)

Cons:
* hearing "Combo" shouted all the time gets old quick (or maybe I do too many combos?)
* it's not _always_ multiplayer capable - some scenes (esp at the beggining) are for 1 or 2 people only. This gets a little annoying if you have 4 people who are waiting to play
* camera view gets a little awkward at some of the more 'cluttered areas' (like running through alleyways in a city scene
* if you have a favorite character from the series/comic/movie and happen to disagree with the way an ability is portrayed or character drawn, you may take it a bit too seriously (one of my friends is trying to get over why jean grey has short hair or how storms lightning strike should come from her hand, not from above). But that's a matter of artistic differences
* the included instruction booklet offers no real assistance to people who are otherwise unfamiliar with the concept of upgrading characters/abilities, etc. (though, in the game's defense, everything is pretty clearly explained on screen while you're trying to do the stuff like upgrading)
* the methodology behind the three equipment slots has yet to make sense to me - i.e. the first slot seems to be for "anything" that helps with offensive powers (be it bands, cloak, etc.) (but maybe I am just too used to the idea of body slots from D&D)
* there will always be characters you wished would be there ...

I have yet to get anywhere near completing the game so I do not know what the replay value is like... but I would _guess_ that it is fairly decent if you decide you want to go back through focusing on a different set of characters as your 'core' favorites.

Anyway, I am sure that there is more for both of those lists... but bottom line is, I am really enjoying the game so far.

John Crichton

First Post
If you can get past the fact that the game is based on the Ultimate version of the X-men then you are halfway home. I'm a fan of both so the enjoyment is way up there. Unlockable classic missions are very cool.

The only thing I haven't tried is multiplayer...

Remove ads