X & O For More Fun

The main purpose of RPGs is to have fun but ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves is tricky. First you have to agree on a game, then a play style. A dozen or more things after that can make or ruin a game. John Stavropoulos created an elegant solution to a common fun killer by creating the X-Card.

The main purpose of RPGs is to have fun but ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves is tricky. First you have to agree on a game, then a play style. A dozen or more things after that can make or ruin a game. John Stavropoulos created an elegant solution to a common fun killer by creating the X-Card.

Whether a GM is running a store-bought adventure or their own campaign, no GM is a mind reader. It's also impossible for other players to guess what will turn an exciting time into a major turn-off for their group. Instead of forcing a GM (or the other players) to guess what may or may not work as fun, a simple card with a big X on it is placed in the center of the game table. If something goes too far for someone's comfort threshold, they simply tap the card and the game moves on from that thing. If you're not clear what caused the X-Card to be tapped, a short break is called while the GM confers with the player. Because the player doesn't have to defend or justify the card being invoked, it avoids hurt feelings and increases fun and safety.

While people assume using the X-Card stifles creativity, the opposite is true. A GM running a Delta Green or World of Darkness adventure is liberated to plan whatever scenario or evocative description they like, knowing that their players easily maintain their enjoyment. No mind reading is needed.

While the X-Card is often associated with story games or indie RPGs, I've had them invoked the most in D&D games. While running Tales of the Yawning Portal last year a player of mine tapped the X-Card when the players hit a bug-infested area. Later he explained that while fixing some wiring earlier that day (he's an electrician) he had to go into a crawlspace that was infested with bugs, and it had skeeved him out. This was a guy I've GM'd for years. He had never indicated an issue with bugs before so I couldn't have guessed that on that particular day he'd be bothered. A month later, it wasn't an issue.

The X-Card also makes convention games better. It's impossible for a GM or players to guess what strangers will like.

During a game a few years ago, two players were arguing in character. One guy said, “That plan is suicide. You might want to die, but I don't.” Sounds like a typical argument, right? What none of us knew was that the other guy had had a family member commit suicide recently. By tapping the card and saying “no suicide comments” (so we'd understand the issue) the game and in-character argument continued with a pause of only a few seconds. He didn't have to feel embarrassed or awkward or explain more, though after the game I overheard him mentioning it to a casual friend in the same game.

On the flip side, Kira Scott created its counterpart, the O-Card. It works the same way as the X-Card except it signals “more of this, please.”

As a GM, have you ever wondered if players were enjoying a specific sequence or aspect of a game? By using the O-Card, you don't have to guess. If it's invoked, you know the banquet scene that is all role-playing doesn't have to be rushed or next time, add more word puzzles for the players to solve.

Safety tools provide an easy way to ensure everyone enjoys the game, and the GM doesn't to guess about what is and isn't working.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Talysian

Explorer
I would never allow something like this at my table, nor play at a table where this is in use. I'm so sick of safe spaces etc. People simply need to learn to be more thick skinned. My players do stuff that take me out of my comfort zone, I take them out of theirs.. but guess what it's a game of imagination. I want people to be creeped out at times, I want things to make people uncomfortable and make them have to think about the repercussions of their actions, or why they are supporting group a over group b. If someone is truly evil, I will show it by the actions, and they may be pretty bad, it gives the players a dramatic reason to go after them.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the way people put together a group for a TTRPG is to consider who among their friends would be interested in playing (and who could be talked into being the DM, if the organizer isn't keen to do that himself.) If you're friends with sociopaths (I admit I've known a few) then you probably know that about them, and you tend not to included them in group activities in general, right? I've played a lot of D&D over the decades, and I can only think of one group I played in that wasn't made entirely of friends or friends-of-friends. While I'm sure "games with strangers" aren't necessarily rare, I would be more than a little bit surprised to learn they were anything other than a small percentage of the hobby.

Youre going with the assumption that people ONLY or even MOSTLY game with thier friends. Even if that were the case at the height of when I was running games with people I knew there were definitely people that were freinds of mine that I WOULDNT game with. Or people that were freinds that I gamed with who showed a very different side of themslves while playing.

I've been gaming off and on for well over 30 years at this point and I can honestly say that I've run games and played with strangers who BECAME friends more than I have with people who started out as my freinds. I have introduced ALOT of people to RPG's who otherwise would not have even been aware that it was a thing that they could do or be interested in. That being said having gone through many, MANY
players and groups it's pretty difficult to find actual GOOD people to game with. I'm going to stand by what I stated above, becasue everyone's experiences, standards and values are different. I value people who are considerate and kind. Other people clearly do not.

ikos

Explorer
I don't really think anyone is advocating being unkind. or inconsiderate. Not believing what I believe is not an indictment of your character.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I don't really think anyone is advocating being unkind. or inconsiderate. Not believing what I believe is not an indictment of your character.

True.

But some of the responses in this thread display a staggering lack of empathy (which is not completely surprising but still) and that IS an indictment of character.

I've said that I wouldnt use the X-card. But I didnt take that extra step and deride people who DO use it. See the difference?

Once, many years ago, I was getting off of the F train at my stop and this older woman rushed the door ahead of me and jostled me out of the way. As if that werent enough she turns to me a says: "N*gg*r assh**e."
To which I responded, "Just assh**e would have sufficed Ms.."

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Pretty much any time someone begins a response with "So you're saying" or "So you're okay with", what follows is almost universally an attempt to twist a persons words into a straw man that's easier to attack.

But taking you at face value, which is more than you are doing for me, if I understand you correctly, you appear to imply that, when the x card is played, the players would be in agreement with the x card tapper in offense at whatever the DM or other player is handling something in the game.

EDIT: I do appreciate the irony that I am doing what I just accused you of doing--restarting your argument. However, in my defense, you didn't actually make an argument, you just restated my position as a straw man.

I guess that could be the case, sometimes. I think a lot more often, it'll be 5 people at the table enjoying the scene that the DM is laying out, and then watching it get derailed because one person decides their feelings are more important than the other people at the table.

This is why communication is way better than a card. If everybody at the table is not enjoying what the DM is throwing down, the DM needs to know. Maybe he or she should bow out and let someone else take the reins. Or maybe the group should find someone else. But no group should be held hostage to the outrage of one person...including the DM. X-cards don't fix problem dms; they just create problem players.

I dont see why you would need to have everyone at the table decide that something was stupid or inappropriate or just plain wrong to stop doing it.

As an example say that one person is playing on their phone and not paying full attention to the game. Should the DM be able to say something to that person if the rest of the Players at the table do not care if the other person is on their phone or not. Or should the DM just be adult enough to accept that people like to play on their phone during the game.

Variss

Explorer
The amount of toxic in this thread alone justifies the existence of the X-Card. If these are the best and brightest responses, then I am absolutely certain that no gamers are capable of understanding social cues or responding in an adult manner to anything.

Arilyn

Hero
I would never allow something like this at my table, nor play at a table where this is in use. I'm so sick of safe spaces etc. People simply need to learn to be more thick skinned. My players do stuff that take me out of my comfort zone, I take them out of theirs.. but guess what it's a game of imagination. I want people to be creeped out at times, I want things to make people uncomfortable and make them have to think about the repercussions of their actions, or why they are supporting group a over group b. If someone is truly evil, I will show it by the actions, and they may be pretty bad, it gives the players a dramatic reason to go after them.

There is a huge difference between getting creeped out and having something potentially cause an actual panic attack in a player. "You need to grow a thick skin" shows a real lack of empathy and understanding about triggers, PTSD and other issues.

hawkeyefan

Legend
If this works for your game great. If you feel that it’s unnecessary, that’s also great.

These two things need not be in opposition, folks.

aramis erak

Legend
Like other scenarios that provide immediate non-negotiable veto ability, it's primary purpose is to facilitate communication in situations where there are potentially layers of obfuscation so people don't have to double-check what the person "really meant".

Can it be misused? Sure. All the immediate non-negotiable vetoes run the risk of being used in ways other participants didn't expect. If one is being used at all frequently, that's the time to reevaluate what the situation is and if the participants are a good fit.

Is it as strongly needed in a primarily verbal game as other situations? Probably not, but if it makes people feel more secure, it isn't much of a imposition either.

When I've had that kind of issue, the usual solution was to punt the offended player. Why? because it's always been one player repeatedly complaining about 2-3 others, no one else sharing the complaint, but all having issues with the complaining player's other odious play habits.

It's fine for one-offs, but the tyranny of the minority has always set wrong with me for campaign play.

I'd rather not play in groups where this kind of stuff is useful.

Remove ads

Remove ads