• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X

is larping geekier than plating fantasy games on tabletop?

• i larp, and love it. you should try it.

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • i larp, but only admit it here because voting is secret.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • i don't larp, but would given the right chance.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • larpers are way geekier than me. i am the fonz comparitavely and eserve the right to mock them.

Votes: 115 66.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar Rocker

First Post
I consider anybody who speaks in the 1st person whilst role-playing (let alone acting, oh my GOD!) to be a socially unredeemable uber-geek. ;) /delurk

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To answer your questions, alsih2o...

I have larped, and I continue to larp occasionally. I tabletop far, far more than I larp.

And, unfortunately, tabletop gamers to think of themselves as "higher" than larpers. But then, every sub-group who thinks what they do is neat feels it is "higher" than everybody else. It's part of the human need to have an "Us" and a "Them". *sigh*.

So, tabletoppers think themselves higher than larpers. Larpers feel they are "higher" than tabletoppers. This only proves that both groups are in need of some councelling about their self-esteem, as for some reason they feel the need to put someone else down to make them feel good. :rolleyes:

Kal Skid

First Post
Before you die, you don't see The Ring. You see a horde of LARPers running at you, screaming "lightning bolt!" and "sleep!".

^_~

Kal Skid, LARPer Phobic #5,391,224,191 =D

Oni

First Post
I voted, I don't larp, but would given the right chance.

I would just qualify that by saying that I think I would be very picky about that the right chance was. Who it was I would be doing it with, and how silly it was would play huge factors.

bloodymage

House Ruler
Re: LARPing

Mourn said:
D&D gamers are the chess club of the world.
LARPers are the drama kids.

Awesome!

Chess club was geeky, drama was cool

Chess club was intelligent, drama was geeky

Still nothing absolute there, but it's a great way of expressing the difference. Gotta admit. though. LARPers kinda creep me out!

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Umbran said:
...So, tabletoppers think themselves higher than larpers. Larpers feel they are "higher" than tabletoppers. This only proves that both groups are in need of some councelling about their self-esteem, as for some reason they feel the need to put someone else down to make them feel good. :rolleyes:

As someone once said: "90% of human history can be compressed into the statement of 'us' versus 'them.' Most times it's for the bad, sometimes it's for the good, but the seed of the divine is in overcoming it."

King_Stannis

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:

When I see footage of that guy dressed as an ogre with that fat guy chasing him yelling "Lighting Bolt!" while some little guy taps him on the shoulder gently with a staff...

"Fireball! Fireball! Sleep! Sleep! Sleep!"

That footage is classic. It gets brought up at least once a week in our group.

Love the new picture, TB! :)

alsih2o

First Post
Henry said:

90% of human history can be compressed into the statement of 'us' versus 'them.' Most times it's for the bad, sometimes it's for the good, but the seed of the divine is in overcoming it."[/i]

i am likin' that :)

Darklone

I LARPed a lot.

About geeks or not geeks... I know about more guys killing each others because of LARP than I knew tabletop players who killed each other because of the game.

And I never had problems with a little 1.4m guy sitting at a table and playing a heroic paladin. That same guy at a LARP with full plate nearly being carried around by his friends is silly.

So yes, I met the worst geeks ever at LARPs. No, it's not a problem of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads