X4: Master of the Desert Nomads - OOC

kinem

Adventurer
[sblock=background]For years, the Great Waste to the west of the Republic of Darokin has been the home of nomad raiders. Petty little tribes, both human and otherwise, have roamed this trackless waste, raiding each other and the surrounding settlements. For a while, the local lords easily controlled this banditry. Then the tribes became dangerous: the raiders apparently set aside their feuds and prepared for war. Spies reported massive armies gathering. Shortly, some of the farthestflung towns were no longer heard from. Heeding their spies and the stories of refugees from the west, the lords and the governor of the Republic sent out a call for arms. Throughout the settled lands, they asked for mercenaries and experienced men to fight the nomad foes. All manner of men answered - peasants, mercenaries, veterans, elves, and adventurers. Among these many came your group.

You were late in arriving, for the main army had already marched. Your party joined the rag-tag lot of reserves going to meet them: the undesirables and unusables of those who came to fight. Along the way there were many quarrels and disputes. Peasants fought for a dead man’s boots; drunken mercenaries ransacked a village; men were knifed as old blood feuds broke out.

Finally, the reserves reached a village only recently taken by the main army. Still among the smoking ruins were the signs of nomad enemies - humans, orcs, and other unknown creatures. The commanders halted at this place. Now you have been camped here for several days.[/sblock]

Inspired by the recent run of old D&D nostalgia, I'm going to attempt running a 3.5 conversion of the classic BECMI D&D module X4: Master of the Desert Nomads (1983, David Cook). If the players make it through, we can continue with module X5. This goes against my own advice not to try to run long adventures, but we'll see.

The module takes place on Mystara (see pandius). It's basically a standard D&D world, but with a few quirks. I won't necessarily stick to Mystara canon, especially as 3.5 adds many new options (such as allowing non-human clerics); I'll do whatever I prefer with it, but I won't try to change the flavor too much.

Religion in Mystara is based on the worship of Immortals, who were mortals who have ascended to a higher plane and gained god-like powers. They are basically the spirits of heroic (or villianous) ancestors. Most common folk just call them gods and don't know much about them, though. All mortals theoretically have a shot at becoming Immortals, but very few do.

I'm looking to recruit 5 PCs. Character creation:

8th level, 32 point buy

32,000 gp value of posessions owned. I will allow this to be in any form. However, not everything will necessarily be along for the ride with you. If you want to own nothing but the shirt on your back and a pile of 3,200,000 cp, that's fine. You left the copper back home, soldier.

Any 3.5 WotC material may be used, including 3.0 with 3.5 updates. However, there are 3 caveats:

1) I reserve the right to nerf, ban, or house-rule anything I don't like. There are a lot of things I don't like. "Polymorph self" is banned, BTW. Diplomacy is nerfed. etc.

2) If I don't own it, and can't read about it online in the SRD or crystalkeep, then in order to have it you have to email me the FULL TEXT that describes what it does. I will then decide whether to nerf or ban it.

3) Nothing with Level Adjustments or racial HD, and no warforged.

Characters may be of any alignment but must be committed to the defense of Darokin (you must supply your own reasons) and must work well together. You are members of an existing adventuring party.

Submit a short personality profile, class build (such as "Fighter 8", not a statted sheet), and short background. Players may not be accepted on a first come, first serve basis; if there are enough applications, I'll pick the ones I think will fit best with the adventure, each other, and my own style.

The posting rate will have a goal of 1/day. If you can't keep up, your PC may suffer an unfortunate fate.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm most likely a minority here, but can I throw in a request to make this a BECMI D&D, AD&D 1st edition, or Castles and Crusades game instead of 3.5?

Torillan

First Post
Cool! A blast from the past.

Color me interested. I'll post a blurb in a bit. I'd most likely go with a fighter, probably human.

Mellubb

First Post
Can we get a list of what you do own. I want make fighter with oversized TWF from Complete adventurer. But if you do not own it I will do the right up.

kinem

Adventurer
Deuce, I considered running it BECMI, requiring no conversion, but I don't think most people would have the books. Besides, BECMI has some attractions (the great modules, no social skills system to ruin roleplaying, easy to play combat) but also some some weaknesses (races as classes, lack of various mechanics and options) but the show stopper is that there is no online SRD for it.

I don't own that many splat books actually; I have more of the weird stuff meant for DMs. However, crystalkeep has a lot of stuff online. It has the following base classes: Beguiler, Duskblade, Dragon Shaman, Favored Soul, Hexblade, Knight, Marshal, Ninja, Samurai, Scout, Spellthief, Spirit Shama, Swashbuckler, Warlock, Warmage.

I do own Heroes of Horror, which includes the Archivist and Dread Necromancer. I also own Heroes of Battle, Frostburn, BoVD, LoM, DotU, MotP, Eberron CS (includes the Artificer), and FR CS. I don't own Sandstorm but might be persuaded to get it if it's good since part of the module does take place in the desert.

Mellubb, Oversized TWF is in the feat list at crystalkeep.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
My submission: Dwarf Rogue 2 Wizard (Conjurer or possibly Enchanter) 6, N/G, hailing from Rockhome (Clan Wyrwarf). Definitely a nonconformist Dwarf, he never liked digging and getting dirty. He thinks the Clean cantrip is one of mortal kind's greatest inventions. (Actually, I can't find Clean on the spell list now, so I may have to "invent" it, sometime.) Because of his fastidious nature, he was relegated to the fringes of Dwarvish society and this disenfranchisement led directly to his becoming a rogue. However, it wasn't long before he decided to pursue his true passion for magic and let the "accepted" world be hanged. I'm thinking that even as a rogue he was studying spellcraft, so he is very accomplished in that respect.

As regards conjuration, he prefers to summon elementals and so avoid nasty aligned spells.

Be aware, Sir DM, that I like to sometimes select spells from both Complete Arcane and Complete Mage, because they're just pretty cool. However, I will not do so here unless you have been provided with a full copy of the spell in question and given me your prior approval. Actually, come to think of it, these are probably all on SRD anyway.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
kinem said:
Deuce, I considered running it BECMI, requiring no conversion, but I don't think most people would have the books. Besides, BECMI has some attractions (the great modules, no social skills system to ruin roleplaying, easy to play combat) but also some some weaknesses (races as classes, lack of various mechanics and options) but the show stopper is that there is no online SRD for it.

Ah well. I understand. Thanks though!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Well with the caviate that I may vanish around the first week of june (not sure how well caring for a newborn/ online RP mix)

I would like to play a Fighter4/Battle Sorcerer4 (varient class in SRD)
from Alfiem or southern Galentri

"More arrows? *twang*twang*twang* Ok."
and
"I use the pony for cover." What pony? *POOF* "that one."

He would owe a favor to someone humans grandfather, and have joined the defense of the realm to pay that debt. Lawful, fairly serious, but aware that his own life will last a long time unless he gets himself killed.

Frenzyed berserker, warShrike? Really? you seem so sensible in my game. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads