Xanathar's 18 Pages of What??

Satyrn

First Post
IIRC they said two things. "Humans are the most popular" and "Most tables don't use feats" and that got conflated together by people who didn't think through it clearly. Is that the thing Mearls (IIRC) corrected, via Twitter?
I think the bolded bit was actually about specific characters.

That way, my table reinforces the point, as 3 of the four characters don't have feats.

Dausuul

Legend
I think the bolded bit was actually about specific characters.
Correct. WotC didn't say anything about how many tables allow feats. They only noted that a majority of PCs do not actually have feats. And they also commented that human was the single most popular race.

Then a bunch of people turned this into "Most PCs are featless humans and most tables ban feats!"

Le sigh.

Yaarel

He Mage
Gaius: given name. Julius: clan name. Caesar: patrilineal family name. Any questions?

Regarding Roman customs.

Which Gaius Julius Caesar? I assume you are talking about the Julius Caesar.

• Gaius (praenomen) - personal name
• Julius (nomen) - clan name
• Caesar (cognomen) - distinguishing name

In this case, when he was born he was given the name ‘caesar’ because he was literally born by means of a caesarean section, cutting thru the abdomen, when the mother had difficulty giving birth to him.

Note, later emperors have complicated names, essentially adding several cognomina describing their imperial status. In their cases, ‘Caesar’ is more like a royal title.

In this case, when he was born he was given the name ‘caesar’ because he was literally born by means of a caesarean section, cutting thru the abdomen, when the mother had difficulty giving birth to him.
You ask "Which Gaius Julius Caesar?", indicating that you are aware there were many. But you don't seem to be aware that one of them was the legendary dictator's father. So either both of them -- as well as all the other men of the Caesar family going back at least to the Punic Wars -- were by stunning coincidence born of Caesarian section, or else there is something amiss about your theory.

In short: cognomina were often hereditary, and functioned much like modern family names, identifying smaller family units as opposed to the large kinship units of sociopolitical significance (i.e., "clans") indicated by the nomina.

briggart

Adventurer
Regarding Roman customs.

Note, later emperors have complicated names, essentially adding several cognomina describing their imperial status. In their cases, ‘Caesar’ is more like a royal title.

Actually, according to some sources, one of his ancestors was born via Caesarean section, but I don't think he was ever mentioned as being born via c-sec. Caesar has been a Iulii cognomen for a some time before *the* Julius Caesar was born (e.g. his father and grandfather were also named Gaius Julius Caesar).

schnee

First Post
I've found them incredibly useful. They've become my NPC roster.

It chops a lot of effort and time off my adventure planning - and adds a lot of verisimilitude in my DMing - to be able to ratchet off a bunch of good names for plot-centric characters and other people the PCs will interact with.

Remove ads