• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's and Counterspell

Fanaelialae

Legend
If a wizard needs to spend a reaction to identify a spell being cast, does that mean a fighter needs to spend a reaction to identify a weapon being wielded?

"Hey guys get down! That goblin is aiming a...what's it called--crossbow! That's it!--at us!"

Sorry, but that's a bad comparison. Identifying a weapon would be akin to identifying what kind of spell focus a caster is using.

Spells, however, are complex and varied. It can't be assumed that a light cantrip cast by a cleric and one cast by a wizard look or sound the same as they are being cast, despite that they produce the same effect. Beyond that, there are a great many spells out there, the majority of which any single caster will never prepare/know or cast. As such, it makes sense to me that identifying a spell would require a moment of focused attention.

That said, if you feel differently, that's fine. The designers have already said that the DM's section is there to make life easier, and that a DM should only use what they want to from that section (no idea how that will interact with AL).

It's not unusable. It just requires teamwork. PC A identifies the spell, uses a free action to call it out, and PC B casts Counterspell.

That said, the above is a bit clunky so I'd much rather use the suggestion made upthread where the identify is part if the same reaction to cast counterspell. Having to pick one spell to identify in a 6 second round makes sense to me (as opposed to being able to identify potentially dozens of spells being cast nearly simultaneously in the same 6 second period).

A bit?

thethain

First Post
I think the real issue is that there is a plethora of issues.

Identifying the spell requiring a reaction basically negates the use of shield/counterspell without a team (even then plenty of dms allow you to call out as a free action ON YOUR TURN, not at any given moment) AND the fact the DC for identifying a spell is somewhat high. In fact the only people who are sure to identify spells are rogues with expertise in arcana and reliable talent.

A level 16 wizard with +5 intelligence and arcana trained only has a 75% chance to identify a level 1 spell. At level 16, a wizard has probably seen almost every single level 1 spell cast a dozen times. Hell, he probably cast every one a dozen times.

I don't know why they would put this in the book as their rule, as opposed to give a list of options they think work in various campaigns. Because with this being the only option its implied that its the rule, and is a :):):):):):) one, because it doesn't work with existing rules. Such as the shield spell.

Would it have been so hard to just list options:
Variant 1, easy identification: All spells are identifiable by those trained in arcana or spellcasters.
Variant 2 medium: All spells on your classes spell list are identifiable, you can make a free arcana check to identify other spells.
Variant 3 More complicated: Trained with arcana can identify the level of spell being cast automatically, can use reaction and check to id specific spell.
Variant 4 obtrusively difficult: You must spend a reaction and make an arcana check to identify a cantrip you have seen cast over 700 times.

Can we see the exact text of the rule?

This is a fair request. It's sort of long and I didn't want to reproduce the entire thing from the book. I did forget to say that someone with the spell on their class list would make the Arcana check (DC 15+spell level) at Advantage.

I suppose some people might feel that a sniper having a spotter is a bit clunky too. Doesn't mean it's not a thing. A person can only do so many things in the space of a second or two.

Sure it can be a thing IRL. But having one person burning a reaction to make a difficult Arcana check (DC 15+spell level) and shout out info to another who then might cast Counterspell seems inorganic to the game. Why can't a trained caster with sufficient Arcana (the study of spells and spell casting) make this observation and react to it? People make Passive Perception checks to detect invisible foes to a given 5' square all the time (don't get me started on that...) in this game, after all.

Coroc

Hero
IT still is clunky, i would go with the free arcana check not using up your reaction. I think you cannot use your reaction for this sort of stuff anyway.
Reactions are time segments listed for very specific actions like casting shield or opportunity attack or counterspell.

I mean if you rule this otherwise and say it is Party caster vs mob caster:

Mob: i cast
Partycaster: I counterspell
Mob: ahm PC did cast something, was that a counterspell? <---------- SEE this is why it is absolute crap.

You cannot even say your spell has been counterspelled w/o arcana check if you use this absurd rule!

One good thing about it interpreted like i just did it would prevent counterspell battles.

Another: Some spells which are not initially harmful, like a charm state that the victim is aware of the spell and what it does, so how are these resolved now if the victim wants to react with a counterspell?

Remove ads