• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E xanathar's guide to everything class options thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe that this table and at least one other thing that was a pretty big error which got through both prompted Jeremy Crawford to post (I think to Twitter) that they were immediately doing a reprint of the book (with the corrections made). I'm guessing that these errors were large enough for them to bite the bullet on the profit loss because of how bad it looked. That being said... I do not know if this means they are going to pull all of this first printing from the shelves and replace them with the second, or if they are just going to have a corrected 2nd printing ready to go when the first is sold out (my guess is it will be the former, otherwise there's no need to rush the 2nd printing). So with that in mind... if you haven't yet bought the book, or if you just did and still have the receipt... you might want to wait a little while just in case so you can get the new version.

It sucks for them that these big errors fell through, but if indeed they are rectifying it immediately, good for them for swallowing the loss just to make sure their quality level meets minimum standards.

EDIT: Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/929077825881088000
My read on that is that they already sold out the first printing and are on to the second one organically from sales.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My read on that is that they already sold out the first printing and are on to the second one organically from sales.

Could be. It was the fact that Jeremy said "reprint" rather than "2nd printing" that made me think they were going back in so they could fix it immediately, not because it was a natural next extension of the printing cycle.

OB1

Jedi Master
There is no way they are going to recall the printed books over a couple of typos, and it would be terrible business for them to do so.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Could be. It was the fact that Jeremy said "reprint" rather than "2nd printing" that made me think they were going back in so they could fix it immediately, not because it was a natural next extension of the printing cycle.
Hard to say: it has certainly been preselling like crazy.

Edit: in response to the top comment on Twitter, asking about which version somebody might get on Amazon, Crawford says it is impossible to say, since the two printings are mixed in the warehouse. So, not a recall, just a correction made in the second printing after the first sold out.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
Discrepancies between tables and main text are actually common screw-ups in gaming books (so common, that the 3e errata had a special note about such things and said that the text always takes precedence over tables). This isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last.

It's literally the very next page. It's not like you have to remember something referenced pages and pages ago.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I have to say: despite my deep skepticism for the book due to both its quantity of rehashed content from other books and its relatively anemic page count, I think it's awesome. Maybe not $50 worth of awesome, but awesome.

In truth, my favorite parts of the players section are the tidbits about the classes, not the subclasses. The bits on barbarian superstitions and tattoos. The bits on paladin goals and nemeses. The bits on warlock patrons and terms, or sorcerer births and such. That stuff is gold.

Last edited:

sinidragon

First Post
I have seen multiple people say that Arcane Archer in Xanathar's guide is awesome. Can someone tell me how this is so?

My main concern is that you no longer can make your arrows a +1, but instead it just gives you the ability to have your arrows negate magic resistances. But a +1 bow can do that as well and I can pick that up way before I reach level 7 to use that ability. So what am I missing? How is this ability still useful?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My main concern is that you no longer can make your arrows a +1, but instead it just gives you the ability to have your arrows negate magic resistances. But a +1 bow can do that as well and I can pick that up way before I reach level 7 to use that ability. So what am I missing? How is this ability still useful?

Well, for campaigns where you can't count on getting a +1 bow before 7th level (or at all), it's a pretty useful feature, I'd say.

Also, they get an ability to redirect a magical arrow if it misses its target. I may have missed something, but I don't see anywhere in the RAW that an arrow fired from a magic bow is itself magical, so this ability wouldn't work with normal arrows fired from a +1 bow.

Last edited:

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'm not super thrilled about Hexblade and getting to use Charisma as the attack stat, but I may be the odd one out. I didn't like that in other editions, either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads