• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything -- new mechanical expansion/UA book! -- November 10 with a limited-edition cover by Hydro74

Aldarc

Legend
Given how they handled the setting, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did an Eberron adventure about the bearers of the 13th dragon mark being revealed as being responsible for the Day of Mourning...
This is why I would only touch a revamped Eberron for 5e if Keith Baker had heavy involvement. I may dislike the Realms, but I don't trust the current staff with updating other setting for 5e. Just give us some solid rules for the races, classes, dragonmarks, etc.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In my opinion if they can't even be bothered to produce something basic like a FRCG then it shows how little Hasbro and WotC actually care about 5e.

No, I think you mean how little they care about you. I mean, you, [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION], personally. They don't care about your opinions. What you think "caring about 5E" means, they don't agree and they don't even bother listening to you. Whatever you personally have to say about WotC and 5E is meaningless.

It's only until your opinion matches the opinion of a whole majority of other people who say in their surveys and online "A new 5E-specific Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book is a requirement for a proper D&D game and I'm not going to play D&D until that happens"... THEN this "group" opinion possibly means something. Unfortunately for you... your opinion has not joined that larger group yet. Because quite frankly, a much too small amount of people share it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is why I would only touch a revamped Eberron for 5e if Keith Baker had heavy involvement. I may dislike the Realms, but I don't trust the current staff with updating other setting for 5e. Just give us some solid rules for the races, classes, dragonmarks, etc.

If you don't trust them to update the Eberron campaign book, why do you trust them to write solid rules for the races, classes, and dragonmarks?

If you need them to create rules for those mechanics instead of just doing it yourself, it tells me you actually trust yourself to do it effectively even less than you trust them. And if you don't trust your own design work, then I don't see how you are in any position knowledgeable enough to criticize them of theirs.

Aldarc

Legend
If you don't trust them to update the Eberron campaign book, why do you trust them to write solid rules for the races, classes, and dragonmarks?

If you need them to create rules for those mechanics instead of just doing it yourself, it tells me you actually trust yourself to do it effectively even less than you trust them. And if you don't trust your own design work, then I don't see how you are in any position knowledgeable enough to criticize them of theirs.
There's no need for veiled passive-aggressive insults against me, Defcon. The designers have different strengths and weaknesses. In particular, Keith Baker is stronger at knowing the tone, aesthetic, and nature of his own setting. So I trust him more, though he has his own weaknesses. Furthermore, there are benefits to having official setting mechanics for purposes of the shared gaming community.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The name is a weird marketing approach. It doesn't tell you what it is, so people might just skip over it because it is about everything and not something in paticular. With Volo's guide you new it was a bout monsters and SCAG was about the Sword Coast.

gyor

Legend
This thread is supposed to be about the Xanathar's Guide to Everything, but instead the unofficial press corps of WotC and Hasbro can't just let go of the fact I don't like the drop in content for FR, move on with you lives and let's get back to talking about the actual Xanathar's Guide to Everything instead of obsessing over my disapproval of WotC.

I will not be responding to their obsessive silliness anymore.

Anyways back on TOPIC, we've seen the starter spells in a UA, but if it's a "host" of new spells then I suspect we might be getting new spells from levels 2-9 as well.

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but I believe we will also get the feats explored UA articles, such as the race feats, weapon feats, and skill feats.

I'm also curious as to what sort of new rules for magic items they might have in store.

I hope they also have something for more martial characters, although weapon feats would be a good start, I hope they have some new fighting styles as well.

One thing that was explored in a previous UA article was eberron races and stuff. I'm curious if we might see little snippets of more setting specific stuff, like Shifters, Changelings, Warforged, Kender, Mule, Thrikreen, Half Giants, Gully Dwarves, and so on.

gyor

Legend
The name is a weird marketing approach. It doesn't tell you what it is, so people might just skip over it because it is about everything and not something in paticular. With Volo's guide you new it was a bout monsters and SCAG was about the Sword Coast.

Someone pointed out elsewhere that it's kind of an inversion of Volo's Guide to Monsters, basically a Monster creating a guide about adventurers. Clever.

dave2008

Legend
It's no longer the D&D RPG. It's the Forgotten Realms RPG.

RIP, D&D.

I don't play in the FR, but I have purchased and used about 90% of the 5e books so far (No Ravenloft or SKT for me yet). I use it all in my own settings. It is clearly still D&D.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There's no need for veiled passive-aggressive insults against me, Defcon. The designers have different strengths and weaknesses. In particular, Keith Baker is stronger at knowing the tone, aesthetic, and nature of his own setting. So I trust him more, though he has his own weaknesses. Furthermore, there are benefits to having official setting mechanics for purposes of the shared gaming community.

Well, had you just said that I wouldn't have said anything. Had you just said "I hope that if they do decide to revamp Eberron that they get Keith Baker involved"... I would have thought "Yeah, me too!"

Instead, you made it explicit you were NEVER going to touch a 5E Eberron book because you thought there was no way the 5E designers could make it effectively unless Keith Baker had a hand in it. Oh, but if they instead just came up with the game mechanics, then the designers are good and everything's fine!

And it was THAT contradiction in your opinion that I was pointing out. If you don't like it when people do that... it usually helps to have a singular feeling on a matter that makes logical sense and to avoid hyperbole like the plague.

Aldarc

Legend
Well, had you just said that I wouldn't have said anything. Had you just said "I hope that if they do decide to revamp Eberron that they get Keith Baker involved"... I would have thought "Yeah, me too!"

Instead, you made it explicit you were NEVER going to touch a 5E Eberron book because you thought there was no way the 5E designers could make it effectively unless Keith Baker had a hand in it. Oh, but if they instead just came up with the game mechanics, then the designers are good and everything's fine!

And it was THAT contradiction in your opinion that I was pointing out. If you don't like it when people do that... it usually helps to have a singular feeling on a matter that makes logical sense and to avoid hyperbole like the plague.
Hardly a contradiction, Defcon. Please note, in context, that I was also replying to Jester David's remark that had less to do with mechanics and more to do with the updating the setting fluff itself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads