• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything -- new mechanical expansion/UA book! -- November 10 with a limited-edition cover by Hydro74

CapnZapp

Legend
And that is a good thing too. These days, a non-core DM-only non-adventure book would almost definitely be a surefire money loser.
That the days of a book like Magic of Faerun, chock full of new spells and other goodies, is over is decidedly not a good thing.

Perhaps you thought I was a Hasbro shareholder? I'm not.

guachi

Hero
Even basic expansions for the game get FR branding. Ugghhh. Strip off the name of some guy I've never heard of and the remaining name is lame.

And the special edition cover is awful. No thanks.

If it weren't for the UA articles showing the kinds of content I'm likely to get, I'd skip this. But I found the UA articles interesting enough that this will be the first thing I've purchased from WotC since the DMG.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
The most siccessful version of dnd since internet happened. And that on life support... yeah... they are doibg it all wrong...

Never said it wasn't a successful edition, the issue isn't that itsn't successful, it's that Hasbro is more interested in movies and other deals then they are in producing the TRPG, so they keep the staff minimal, just enough to keep the IP alive, the success if this edition to peanuts to Hasbro.

gyor

Legend
Even basic expansions for the game get FR branding. Ugghhh. Strip off the name of some guy I've never heard of and the remaining name is lame.

And the special edition cover is awful. No thanks.

If it weren't for the UA articles showing the kinds of content I'm likely to get, I'd skip this. But I found the UA articles interesting enough that this will be the first thing I've purchased from WotC since the DMG.

Don't worry, if it's anything like volo's guide to monsters it will a generic D&D book with just a tiny dash of Forgotten Realms to trade on a value of the FR setting.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Forgotten Realms IS D&D, now. If you didn't get on that train, enjoy the vending machine snacks in the station.

gyor

Legend
So?
What's the difference between WotC licensing out minis or doing it in house? Well, better quality minis since its being done by a company that knows what they're doing.

If WotC *wanted* to do more books they could. Mearls, Perkins, Crawford, Merwin, and the like could switch to editorial roles and hire freelancers. Or partner with other studios, like in '14-15. Or prior to that when the team was working on 5e while also releasing books.
I really think they're sticking to fewer books not for staffing reasons, but because they just want fewer books.

Of course they could, but those higher up the food change have no interest in that.

gyor

Legend
It's no longer the D&D RPG. It's the Forgotten Realms RPG.

RIP, D&D.

It's barely even FRs, I mean this edition hasn't even seen a FRCG yet, if ever, because which almost every edition got, so it's not like FR is well supported, it's just that as the big daddy setting, it gets to claim all the crumbs.

gyor

Legend
I would agree - there was maybe one or two subclasses that offered something interesting. The others mainly reshuffled various ways to gain advantage. I lost interest before the run was through, so I might have missed something.

Based on previous content, I would prepare to pay for a full book, but get maybe a quarter of useful content (as in new spells, magic items and other stuff existing characters and monsters can utilize). Unfortunately, that's an optimistic estimate.

Yeah, that is no where near to the truth, the subclasses had a vast amount of features had a nothing to do with advantage. Horazon Walker was all about teleportation, Favoured Soul (the last one), got access to the cleric spell list with free cure wounds spell known, a quasi metamagic empowered healing, spectral wings, and a major heal.

Primordial Guardian is the Warden class reborn as a ranger subclass, Deep Stalker, got stuff like extra spells known.

Arcane Archer got magic arrows.

And so on. So it wasn't just a bunch if ways to gain advantage.

Remove ads