Xanathars guide

happyhermit

Adventurer
Lol, to some people I read about online my games would sound like Hell itself. Most of my best games we don't play with all the classes from the PHB, or races, or spells, etc. Expectations are set up front by the GM, they get to run the game they want to run, if someone wants to play in it they do. Trying to make someone run a game they don't want to, or in a way they don't want to just simply sucks IMNSHO, for all involved.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
He's still fresh at being a Dm. So that's how he's progressed from where he started to now. I've noticed he's become more power hungry. Making it so that we don't get magic items because their to O.P. (his words) but yet the creatures we fight are honestly way to strong for us. We didn't have a chance against the beholder we fought. My character died. Two turned to stone. And the other was paralyzed. And he had it set up to where we couldn't get out of the 150ft cone so that we couldn't use magic ( half our party is magical users).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So he completely banned all magic items?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's offensive because it's a guilt trip. No one made him buy the book. He's using the fact that he did as leverage to force the DM's hand.

Thank you. It's very entitled.

If he's a new DM, that's an even better reason not to allow new books! It takes a lot of brainpower to run a game in general, but when you are new its even harder. More books means more brainpower, and it sounds like they just don't have the desire to do that.

Exactly. GM time and energy is not unlimited. Figuring out "will this book fit with my campaign?" takes both.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If he's a new DM, that's an even better reason not to allow new books! It takes a lot of brainpower to run a game in general, but when you are new its even harder. More books means more brainpower, and it sounds like they just don't have the desire to do that.
How does it increase the cognitive load?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
His argument towards it was that he didn't have the book so therefore couldn't learn how to have an edge as a dm against the players, but we are always opening our phb or dm guide all the time to look up rulings all the time. I can understand his argument, but at the same time if I paid money for this book I want to use it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is one of my pet peeves, and it goes both ways.

I totally get that you spent money and want to be able to use the book. And I own a copy myself. And while I’ve stolen bits and pieces of it, I don’t like the majority of the content as written and won’t use it in my campaign.

I’m one of those grumpy old school DMs that is very protective of my setting and what I allow in the game. Back in the day that was the expectation, the DM would most likely being the one buying the book, and the DM would decide what, if anything, to use in the campaign.

My players understand that, and I certainly don’t want to discourage them from buying the book, but it’s for their own use, not at my table.

My players have never really had an issue with that because they know what to expect. They also know that I’ll buy the book so they can borrow it and decide if they want one for themselves.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I primarily DM. Like 90% of my play time is as DM. I can understand that new material can be challenging for a DM to incorporate into the game, especially given everything else he or she has to do.

But at the same time...5E is pretty streamlined. A subclass is what...a page of text? If even? A feat is a paragraph, maybe two. And other than the races in Volo’s, this is the only other book that players will want to use. It’s not like we’re talking Pathfinder, where there’s a new supplement with new rules every month.

There’s no need to read the whole book. The players can tell him the specific options in which they’re interested, and he can look them over. If he sees concerns, he can explain them. They can have a discussion about it and work it out, like rational people playing a cooperative game as friends.

To me, this thread seems like the internet splitting dowm the middle and digging their collective heels in to prove their side is right. Which doesn’t really help.

I mean, the DM had to expect that they may want to use the new book they had when he decided to TPK them in what sounds like a pretty contrived encounter. Now, we’re only hearing one side, but to me the last thing it sounds like this particular DM needs to hear is that it’s “his game”.

Because it’s not. It’s their game.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Presumably the DM is a human being, and human beings have to read books in order to process the information they contain. We can't simply download them into our brains without any cognitive effort.

You...think that reading the parts of the book a player wants to use will be a strain? Like...for anyone with average cognitive capabilities and lacking any reading issues, reading a subclass and a feat isn’t going to be any noticeable strain whatsoever.

Do you think that this DM has the entire PHB memorized? Because that’s the only way I can imagine it would be more cognitive load to read a couple options from a new book than to read them from another book.

John Brebeuf

First Post
You...think that reading the parts of the book a player wants to use will be a strain? Like...for anyone with average cognitive capabilities and lacking any reading issues, reading a subclass and a feat isn’t going to be any noticeable strain whatsoever.

Do you think that this DM has the entire PHB memorized? Because that’s the only way I can imagine it would be more cognitive load to read a couple options from a new book than to read them from another book.

"How does it increase the cognitive load?"

That was your question. Do you see how you didn't ask about "strain" but instead about how it would "increase the cognitive load"? Everything you just said involves an "increase in the cognitive load," however slight you imagine it.

doctorbadwolf

"How does it increase the cognitive load?"

That was your question. Do you see how you didn't ask about "strain" but instead about how it would "increase the cognitive load"? Everything you just said involves an "increase in the cognitive load," however slight you imagine it.

If you’d read the whole post, I talked about strain, and then wrapped up challenging the notion that there is any appreciable difference between two things.

Remove ads