• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's I love the new Barbarian subclasses

User_Undefined

First Post
I could see playing an Ancestral Guardian as a more mystical samurai (compared to the Fighter subclass). In fact, that's probably going to be my next character.

Mythknight

First Post
I want to play the Ancestral Guardian like Stephen from Braveheart always "talking" to my ancestors even though nobody else can hear them. "I will ask them father. If I fight for you do I get to kill orcs? Excellent!"

I just never played a barbarian so need help building one using standard array.

Carlos Barreto

First Post
I really loved the Path of Ancestral Guardian and the Path of Zealot.

The Path of Ancestral Guardian seems to be the true tanker. He not only is tough as a typical Barbarian, but he makes his allies uninteresting targets; disadvantage to attack your allies and damage resistance to them (3rd level), damage reduction to them (6th level) and a force-based damage retribution for who dares to attack them? That said, I wonder who else has tanking abilities better than these.

The Path of Zealot is what the Berserker Barbarian should have been. He's basically a Divine Berserker. He deals more damage, can reroll failed saving throws once per rage and refuse to die and just can keep fighting even if he's technically dead as long as he's in rage. On top of that, he trivializes spells to bring back the dead (no material component required) and can buff his allies once per long rest. Man, this Path has no "ribbon" ability!

Stalker0

Legend
The only one that's kinda meh to me is Storm Herald, and that's not because it's bad. It's because every other Barbarian Archetype is so good.

I agree. Compared to the other barbarians (including the core subclasses), the storm herald just doesn't have enough oomph to me. But the other new ones look great!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads