Xanathar's War Mage is Gandalf, Dr Strange, and Elric

Ok I love that he gave a shout out to old school Michael Morrcock character Elric What is Crazy is how old those books were when I started reading them 84-86 time frame

Ok I love that he gave a shout out to old school Michael Morrcock character Elric

What is Crazy is how old those books were when I started reading them 84-86 time frame

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Elric's a Warlock, not a Wizard.

Possibly. He could also be a "Magus", a pathfinder class that doesn't exist in 5e (apparently similar to something called a "duskblade"?). Anyway, a class that is more wizard than the EK, and more fighter than the bladesigner.

Either would be a better match than the war wizard...

Last edited by a moderator:

Li Shenron

Legend
I think if it had tested better than the others it would have made it in. They decided to just go with one wizard archetype and this was the favourite.

I would have gone with none. I don't think either of the three was interesting, the Lore Wizard would have been the best addition IF it had match its own name and concept (and even better if they tried to design it as a low-complexity option for the Wizard class), but it did not. To me it sounds like they HAD to include at least one archetype per class, or at least they could not release 2 per class while totally skipping one of the classes, so maybe they just picked the least worst. What is quite surprising is that with a class that's notoriously open to hundreds of wacky ideas (see 3e prestige classes), all they could come up with was an evoker-abjurer hybrid, a wizard-cleric hybrid, and a wizard-squared.

Li Shenron

Legend
The SCAG reprints we're stated to be based on popularity in the AL

I don't understand why they really did this.

You could say that because they are popular, they wanted them also in this new book so that people could combine them with the new material of this book, and play them thanks to the AL "+1 book" rule.

On the other hand this new book doesn't have THAT much player's crunch. There's many spells, but only the Storm Sorcerer will use them (in fact my original guess for SCAG reprints was Storm Sorcerer + Bladesinger Wizard + Arcana Cleric + Undying Warlock).

So basically the only reason why someone already having SCAG and playing a Sun Soul Monk or Mastermind Rogue would want to buy them again and choose XGE as her +1 book for AL is... the racial feats? :/

Dualazi

First Post
I don't understand why they really did this.

You could say that because they are popular, they wanted them also in this new book so that people could combine them with the new material of this book, and play them thanks to the AL "+1 book" rule.

On the other hand this new book doesn't have THAT much player's crunch. There's many spells, but only the Storm Sorcerer will use them (in fact my original guess for SCAG reprints was Storm Sorcerer + Bladesinger Wizard + Arcana Cleric + Undying Warlock).

So basically the only reason why someone already having SCAG and playing a Sun Soul Monk or Mastermind Rogue would want to buy them again and choose XGE as her +1 book for AL is... the racial feats? :/

Yeah, this smells pretty rotten to me honestly. I didn't pick up the SCAG and while this turn ultimately vindicates that decision, it also means I have absolutely no reason to ever pick it up, discounted or otherwise. Seems like a poor model to release content that devalues your other content, but this isn't the first complaint I've had with D&D supplements either.

More pertinently related to the War Mage, I felt like the UA option was pretty bland and unfocused, so I hope to see some big changes in the release version. I'd also have liked to see a more creative thematic subclass, since the bladesinger really fits reasonably well as a battlemage once you divorce it from the silly race requirement. Hopefully in the future they'll get beyond "wizard, but slightly tougher" as a theme to build around.

Possibly. He could also be a "Magus", a pathfinder class that doesn't exist in 5e (apparently similar to something called a "duskblade"?). Anyway, a class that is more wizard than the EK, and more fighter than the bladesigner.

Either would be a better match than the war wizard...
Elric gets all his magic from various pacts - Elemental lords, demonic lords, etc. He has a patreon demon - Arioch - who gifted him with a demon sword (Stormbringer) that sucks the souls out of victims and gives sustenance and vitality to Elric himself.

That's a Warlock. Of the Blade.

The test was rigged :p

Most people saw the power level was out of whack and gave it a score only based on that. Also, there was no "Is this subclass an interesting or cool concept ?" Question.

As someone who has worked in statistics and information collection before.

That freeform area at the end of certain sections and at the very end of a document.

People who fill those out are the ones who tend to be investigated the most. The general numeric/value ratings are there to get a broader overlook as to how people have reacted and rated within the categories that people have written in further detail on.

Your concept of "it is only there because WotC thinks people don't want it and the vote skewed their perspective" is presumptuous and assumes that WotC are staffed with brain dead imbeciles who cannot sift through data and use it as a advisory rather than directional guide.

How they handled the playtest for 5e is a great example of how they approach playtesting and feedback.
You might not agree with their decision, but don't make up reasons as to why it happened other than you wanted the subclass and they didn't think what they created ended up working well for the concept.

gyor

Legend
Below I've qouted from the original class chronicles article on the original 3.5e War Mage, removing the part that no longer applies, to help add flavour to the subclass for people.

"To some of the cultures of Faerûn, the ability to destroy in a variety of ways is (or was) too much to ignore. To other cultures, warmages serve as elite battlefield generals, espousing the old adage that the best defense is overwhelming offense.

The ancient Raumathari battlemages were some of the most fearsome examples of warmages in Faerûnian history. While many of the battlemages were wizards and sorcerers, a significant portion of was made up of warmages. The art of this forlorn empire may be mostly lost, but those few who still practice it are extremely dangerous. Raumathari battlemagic involves a mixture of both destructive arcane magic with swordplay, blending the two in terrifying destructive synergy. When the Bronze Battletower (UnE -- the home of the powerful Raumathari battlemage Vostas) was under siege, her lover, a warmage by the name of Welbohn Khuul, defended it to his last breath. It is believed that Welbohn's spirit was absorbed into the tower after his death, leaving the warmage to haunt the tower forever. Locals whisper that the current resident, a renegade Wychlaran by the name of Iaokhna Nuchlev (NE female Rashemi sorcerer 3/druid 3/durthan[UnE] 3), is being driven mad by Welbohn Khuul's spirit (CN Raumathari male human ghost swashbuckler 3/warmage 6/Raumathari battlemage 10). Khuul is trying to drive out the durthan in the hopes of bringing students back to the Bronze Battletower to study battlemagic. He can't drive her out himself, because she hides in a room that is shielded from him in his undead state.

While many Thayans look down on warmages as narrow-minded louts, they can't deny the usefulness of having a contingent of these casters in their armies. From the perspective of the Red Wizards, warmages make excellent subjects because they are powerful weapons but lack the magical protections to defend themselves against mental control. A band of politically neutral warmages has arisen in Thay in recent years under the leadership of Norano Reked (N Mulan male warmage 14). Calling itself Daarthos Koruna after a strange magical artifact the members discovered in the Sunrise Mountains, the band serves Thay as mercenaries for hire. The Daarthos Koruna are seven circlets that render their wearers undetectable by magical and psionic means. For the most part, the band clears out the ruins of the Sunrise Mountains and Delhumide, but they have been known to perform special missions for a number of zulkirs.

Warmagic traditions have developed among a number of other races and lands. A small number of warmages are found among the War Wizards of Cormyr, though the order generally looks askance at the narrow focus of these members. The Shoon Imperium kept an elite cadre of warmages known as the sihirbalak. Many members fled to the Heartlands and Inner Sea lands after the fall of the Shoon Empire in 450 DR. Among the sun, moon, star, and wild elves, warmages are uncommon but do exist. They were instrumental in a number of battles against demonic hoards before the fall of Myth Drannor.

Currently, several warmagic are academies scattered across Faerûn. A small academy, appropriately known as the School of Warmagic, has been open for the last three years in Halarahh, the capital city of Halruaa. Though boasting only 50 students, this academy doesn't have the negative reputation that warmage schools have in other parts of Faerûn. A small department at the Wizard College of Gheldaneth in Mulhorand teaches warmages, though only 75 are enrolled. Some of the other students in the college look down on the warmagic students, but the nation sees them as an important line of defense in its continued existence. Small private academies also exist in Waterdeep, Silverymoon, and Suzail."

Remove ads

Remove ads