D&D 5E Xanathar's Wiki of Everything: what's in the new book?

Ketser

First Post
Celestial and Seeker had some thematic overlap, so I would doubt both will show up. I haven’t looked at the Seeker invocations recently - would it be possible to refluff or slightly tweak them to work for Celestial? If so, I’d guess they’d do that.

While there is some thematic overlap between celestial and seeker, there are also a number of considerable differences. The Celestial is the rework of the Undying Light patron, focused on radiant damage and healing and getting their stuff from a celestial patron. The Seeker patron can be a celestial entity, but thematically and mechanically the subclass is about travel. divination and search for knowledge and mystery, getting mainly features that were oriented towards assisting in hazardous travels, with patron spells being travel or divination oriented.

The UA invocations for the Seeker were Path of The Seeker and Seeker's Speech. First gave ability to ignore difficult terrain and advantage against some movement restraining effects, second gave two long rest switchable bonus languages. So kinda different from what you would expect from a "celelock," although i could see the speech one working well with it. Of course, i'm not sure if the pact specific invocations stay, because from the UA articles it seemed a lot of people didn't like that some of the invocations were limited to specific patrons. In fact they removed patron limitations in a later article.

My thought about Seeker being in is mainly based on the invocations. Maybe WoTC considered it during the UA articles, but decided against it. I can see why they wouldn't put it in. Just bringing it up that seeker can be a possibility and something i would like to see together with Celestial and Hexblade.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
At this point, I am quite sure that the Knight isn't going to be in the book.

Given that the Cavalier ate it's lunch and the Arcane Archer took the 3rd fighter slot.

Fighter is now confirmed to get 3, so there is probably only one other or maybe two, if the number is over 25 instead of just 25. There is a number of classes that could use some subclass love, namely bard, druid and ranger. An argument can also be made for barbarian and sorcerer.

When it comes to bard, we know that glamour is in and blade bard appeared among the revised subclasses and has high probablity to be in the book. But i don't think the college of whispers was popular to make it (and neither wasn't the college of satire).

Druid is similar, we know that circle of dreams is in and there have been hits of circle of shepherd being in, but college of twilight wasn't popular enough to make it.

When it comes to ranger, we have the horizon walker confirmed, but have no idea what the second might be. The deep stalker seems a high possibility, but primeval guardian seems doubtful.

Barbarian is something i find hard to predict. Barbarian got a subclass in SCAG, but the battlerager wasn't very popular, so it can be argued that the barbarian could use more subclass support. Ancestral Guardian was among the revision, so probably its in. There were people who really liked storm herald, but less who liked the zealot?

With sorcerer we have both two subclasses confirmed shadow and divine soul. Unlike the barbarian, its SCAG subclass was well received and has a possibility of appearing among the four SGAC classes in XGtE. So the one hand it could be said that sorcerer probably might not need to have another subclass on this book. But on the other hand there are mixed attitudes and issues with the sorcerer, so offering more to the sorcerer can be a decent step. Here in enworld the stone sorcerer seems to be a wanted addition, but this and the phoenix and sea were far less interesting to people than the Favored (or now divine) soul. Phoenix was probably the one with less interest, while Sea seemed to have some following, but concerns about it being too close to Storm, might push it back.

Of course there are other classes that might get the third. Cleric is a possibility, so is Warlock. Those classes have gotten a lot, but have still some thematic room that people are expecting to fill. Warlock is perhaps the most interesting case here. The Celestial patron is confirmed. Hexblade is suspected, but something to consider is that among the Warlock UA were a number of Seeker patron invocations. Was it a hint that its going to be in the XGtE? Were they in just because the subclass was shown earlier in UA and they wanted to add some non-core book Patron ones, but didn't want to add invocations specific to a subclass that had appeared in another class? Or are we actually getting three new Warlock patrons. The Raven Queen one is probably out, because it got pretty negative or rather meh reactions to its features. Might Undying patron make its appearance among the SCAG 4, but i'm not sure, while there were people who seem to like or expect it, the general attitude towards the patron seemed to be "not so interested." Also the fact that there were no undying patron invocation in the Warlock UA, can also mean that its not going to be among them.

Stopping for a moment on Cleric. Forge confirmed, Grave extremely possible. And lets be honest, although the features of the Protection domain weren't the greatest, it might have gotten through, because a lot of people were interested in Protection domain.

So there are possibilities, some more probable than others. I think its highly unlikely that monk, paladin or rogue are getting a third one. Or fighter a fourth...
The "popularity" arguments confuse me here. I don't recall WotC releasing feedback on what tested well and what didn't test well or mentioning that regularly.
And ENWorld isn't a good gauge of what is popular across the entire D&D community. What was popular or unpopular here ian't always representative.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The "popularity" arguments confuse me here. I don't recall WotC releasing feedback on what tested well and what didn't test well or mentioning that regularly.
And ENWorld isn't a good gauge of what is popular across the entire D&D community. What was popular or unpopular here ian't always representative.
Yeah, I think the only indicators we have are statements from the team (sharpshooter rat d low), and what they chose to revise (popular enough they kept it on the drawing board, bit had issues).

Ketser

First Post

Part of its is the designer's comments in articles, tweets, subclass announcements and so on. Other is how the player base reacted to various subclasses when their UA-s were released or what general expectations or hopes have been. So yeah, not most certain source in that speculation, mostly me trying to work out what might get a third subclass, based on limited amount of information available.

Part of its is the designer's comments in articles, tweets, subclass announcements and so on. Other is how the player base reacted to various subclasses when their UA-s were released or what general expectations or hopes have been. So yeah, not most certain source in that speculation, mostly me trying to work out what might get a third subclass, based on limited amount of information available.
Tweets are a good source. There were some comments on one or two subclasses in the past.
I'm more curious on how broad your gauging of the reactions of the player base is. Just ENWorld? Facebook? Reddit? Looking at #dnd on Twitter?

I mean, I love ENWorld but our demographics are likely more in the "experienced player/ older/ grognard" camp than a representative sampling of the entire playerbase. And ENworld has become smaller than /r/DnD/ let alone the Facebook group.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tweets are a good source. There were some comments on one or two subclasses in the past.
I'm more curious on how broad your gauging of the reactions of the player base is. Just ENWorld? Facebook? Reddit? Looking at #dnd on Twitter?

I mean, I love ENWorld but our demographics are likely more in the "experienced player/ older/ grognard" camp than a representative sampling of the entire playerbase. And ENworld has become smaller than /r/DnD/ let alone the Facebook group.
Yeah, WotC has stated that web forums are not a representative sampling, so I would take form "consensus" (insofar as it even exists) with a fat grain of salt.

Last edited:

Remove ads