D&D 5E Xanathar's Wiki of Everything: what's in the new book?

Rellott

Explorer
GF9 mentions 95 cards being included in their XGtE Spellbook Cards expansion. Unless those cards include something else than spells, it might mean there's 95 new spells in XGtE.

Unless that 95 count also includes spells duplicated in Xanathar’s from other sources, which they might do, depending on if those spells have gotten cards elsewhere.

Li Shenron

Legend
Unless that 95 count also includes spells duplicated in Xanathar’s from other sources, which they might do, depending on if those spells have gotten cards elsewhere.

Yes! I just saw the Wizard spells list and IIRC some of those were in Princes of Elemental Evil free web enhancement.

Rellott

Explorer
Yes! I just saw the Wizard spells list and IIRC some of those were in Princes of Elemental Evil free web enhancement.

Yes, a rather sizable number, apparently. Hopefully the other classes get some more new spells - I’d be disappointed if the majority of the book’s spells were just reprints.

Rellott

Explorer
I counted 77 spells on the Wizards list, will recount to be sure. That leaves 18 none wizard spells.

And from that thread, here’s a list of the ones that aren’t reprints:
Here the list without the spells from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, for ease of comparison:

Cantrips (0 Level)
Infestation (conjuration)
Toll the dead (necromancy)

1st Level
Cause fear (necromancy)
Snare (abjuration)

2nd Level
Dragon’s breath (transmutation)
Mind spike (divination)
Shadow blade (illusion)
Warding wind (evocation)

3rd Level
Catnap (enchantment)
Enemies abound (enchantment)
Life transference (necromancy)
Summon lesser demons (conjuration)
Thunder step (conjuration)
Tiny servant (transmutation)

4th Level
Charm monster (enchantment)
Sickening radiance (evocation)
Summon greater demon (conjuration)

5th Level
Danse macabre (necromancy)
Dawn (evocation)
Enervation (necromancy)
Far step (conjuration)
Infernal calling (conjuration)
Negative energy flood (necromancy)
Skill empowerment (transmutation)
Steel wind strike (conjuration)
Synaptic static (enchantment)
Wall of light (evocation)

6th Level
Create homunculus (transmutation)
Mental prison (illusion)
Scatter (conjuration)
Soul cage (necromancy)
Tenser’s transformation (transmutation)

7th Level
Crown of stars (evocation)
Power word pain (enchantment)

8th Level
Illusory dragon (illusion)
Maddening darkness (evocation)
Mighty fortress (conjuration)

9th Level
Invulnerability (abjuration)
Mass polymorph (transmutation)
Psychic scream (enchantment)

That’s 38 new spells out of 77 the wizard gets in the book, so 39 reprints on the wizard spell list. Half. Disappointing. Maybe the other classes will do better.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That’s 38 new spells out of 77 the wizard gets in the book, so 39 reprints on the wizard spell list. Half. Disappointing. Maybe the other classes will do better.

I don't think what you suggested is physically possible, considering there is a total of 95 spells printed in the book.

I don't think what you suggested is physically possible, considering there is a total of 95 spells printed in the book.

I do not think anyone has quoted the product page for the new spell card set, so here it is:

"This set contains 95 durable, laminated cards that expand options for spellcasters of all types. Now Spellcasters may choose from a wide variety of new spells, ranging from useful cantrips like the befuddling Infestation to the devastating Psychic Scream. Each card is marked with symbols denoting which classes can cast the spell. Xanathar's Guide to Everything™ and the Spellbook Cards includes all the spells previously released as part of the Elemental Evil storyline."

The 95 cards will cover all the new spells and all spells reprinted from the EE Player's Guide. Also, from the above text, many of the 95 spells will be available to multiple classes, so there being 77 wizard spells that are also used by other classes and 18 spells that are available only to other casting classes is an odd, but obvious, mix.

The product page includes an image showing four of the cards overlapped so that you cannot fully read any of them, but if I understand the card correctly, one of the cards shown, for Shape Water, has symbols denoting it as being available to three different caster classes:

http://www.gf9-dnd.com/gameAcc/tabi...rds-xanathar-s-guide-to-everything-73922.aspx

Rellott

Explorer
A quick google image search for “5e class symbols” tells me Shape Water will be available for druids, sorcerers, and wizards, while catapult will be for sorcerers and wizards, based on that preview image. Probably not shocking, given both of those were in EEPC and, iirc, available to those classes in that supplement as well.

Remove ads