• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xath's Report

Xath

Moder-gator
Xath enters the royal chambers. Her face is gaunt and streaked with tears; her eyes are red , but lifeless, as though she has lost all hope. Jaine stands unsteadily on her feet, cradling her daughter, marked like her father, pacing around the fire. Xath takes a knee before the queen, not daring to look her in the face. The baby sleeps peacefully.

Jaine turns, once more towering over Xath. Before Xath can speak, she says, "I know."

Xath replies, without looking up. "Once again I have failed you, my Queen."

“I know what happened...at least...most of it.” Jaine says. "They have my son, don't they?"

"Yes," Xath says simply.

Jaine pauses. "And yours." It is a statement, not a question. Xath doesn't say anything for a moment. Then she nods, almost imperceptively. The Queen's voice, having gained some of its even timbre, hitches for a moment as she speaks, "I'm sorry for your loss." Another pause. "I have lost...lost a vassal as well. Was it...my husband...or...or yours?"

Xath replies mechanically. "I fear Archonus Bluestar was killed while I was in Thanesport. By the time I returned, it was too late for me to revive him."

Tears fill the Queen's eyes. "He...thank you. Thank you for the news. I knew the price of my children's lives would be the life of another. I thought I would pay that price. Perhaps I did. But he did, as well."

Xath stands, still looking down. "I...am sorry for your loss as well."

She dries her eyes with her free hand, noticing that Xath has stood. "Sit. You need to sit." Xath sits, obediently. She continues, "I will stand a while longer, if you'd not consider me too rude. It has been...some time."

Once again, Xath nods. "What would you have me do, my Queen?

“Rest for a moment. Tell me..." anger flushes the Queen's features, "...who took my son, and who took yours."

"When we arrived in Thanesport Palace, we were beset by many guards and..." her voice gains an edge, the first emotion she's shown "Ahrianna Blackadder." She pauses. “I need to rest first, but I will return to Thanesport to seek your son, should you wish it of me....I fear it is too late for mine."

At the mention of Thanesport, the Queen waves her hand dismissively. "I would not spend your life so callously...unless you think you can get them back?"

"I would give my life to try, my Queen. I do not know whether I would be successful."

Jaine looks at Xath with eyes ablaze, her face the face of a Queen, once more. "Give me your best case. Could you retrieve them?"

"With the full circle, we may stand a chance of escape with your son, my Queen. When I arrived, it was still possible to teleport into Thanesport Palace. I doubt it is so now, but it would not be impossible for us to infiltrate. Tain's dark defenses cannot be too plentiful if he wishes to maintain his image. Tain will doubtless have powerful defenders, but we are not as weak as Blackadder would have us believe."

The Queen looks shocked, "You were inside the palace?"

Xath shakes her head. "We were in the courtyards, just outside of the door. If your son is still in Thanesport, we will have a chance at least of retrieving him. As for my son, I fear there is only one person who can aid me in retrieving him. And his price may be too high for our cause."

Jaine ponders for a moment. “Tain's forces may seem normal on the outside. But the palace itself will be a nearly impenetrable bastion. I would not spend any of your lives on a fool's errand, but nor can I stop you. I will not order you after my son. Not yet." She pauses again. "You speak of the Bluestar?"

Xath nods. "The magic Blackadder used was powerful and evil. The only one who would know such secrets is the...Lord of the North."

Jain nods her head. "He has proven a better ally than I could have dreamed. But any price for your son would be yours alone to pay. I would not lose you or him to the Bluestar." She pauses. "But once more, I will not forbid it."

Xath nods once again.

To be continued.....

Xath

Moder-gator
"If I do not ask, then I have abandoned my child. I do not wish him to become what she would do to him."

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
"If I do not ask, then I have abandoned my child. I do not wish him to become what she would do to him."
"Xath, you must ask if, in the end, whatever debt you would owe the Bluestar is a debt a grown man would wish you to pay. Would your child sell his mother for his freedom...and would he endanger the world to get it?"

Xath

Moder-gator
The_Universe said:
"Xath, you must ask if, in the end, whatever debt you would owe the Bluestar is a debt a grown man would wish you to pay. Would your child sell his mother for his freedom...and would he endanger the world to get it?"

"Whatever price I pay, I know to make sure that the war and the circle come first. I have been....reminded of that. But that does not mean that I can just do nothing."

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
"Whatever price I pay, I know to make sure that the war and the circle come first. I have been....reminded of that. But that does not mean that I can just do nothing."
"No matter how valuable the reward, not all prices are meant to be paid. I...for once, Xath, I speak not of the war. I speak for you."

Xath

Moder-gator
"No matter how valuable the reward, not all prices are meant to be paid. I...for once, Xath, I speak not of the war. I speak for you."

"What am I now but a tool of the war?"

Last edited:

Remove ads