• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Xath's Report

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
"What am I now but a tool of the war?"
"What is it with all of you!?" the Queen nearly shouts, "You show unimaginable bravery in the face of creatures that the nightmares of man could not conjure in their darkest hour, and when anything...anything personal...happens, you crumple as if you were made of nothing more than stiff paper!"

Xath

Moder-gator
Xath laughs bitterly and her voice becomes sarcastic. "Perhaps it is because we have no time for such frivolities as personal lives." She takes a deep breath and her voice returns to normal. "I am sorry, my Queen. I am not myself right now."

The_Universe

First Post
Xath said:
Xath laughs bitterly and her voice becomes sarcastic. "Perhaps it is because we have no time for such frivolities as personal lives." She takes a deep breath and her voice returns to normal. "I am sorry, my Queen. I am not myself right now."
The Queen slaps the sardonic smile from Xath's face, nearly shouting, "Damn you! Of course I would not deny you personal lives, nor would I ever characterize them as mere frivolity."

Grabbing Xath by the arm, the Queen nearly drags the smaller woman to her shuttered window, her iron grip releasing only to part the shutters enough to allow a bit of sunlight through. "Look out there!" she states through gritted teeth, "How many of them have lost sons? Daughters? How many have lost Husbands? Wives? Lovers?"

"Now how many are committed to this war? Despite their losses...how many of those men and women, and yes - even children - would march to war with little more than a word from me - or even you? How many!?"

Xath

Moder-gator
"All of them. And so would I." Xath straightens and her back stiffens. "Excuse me, my Queen, for my moment of weakness. Rest assured that it was not you to whom I was referring in regards to my personal life. I shall endeavor to be more dedicated to the cause."

The_Universe

First Post
The Queen shakes her head, "You poor fool. Men do not die for causes...but they will die for you. And you believe in a cause. Don't you?"

She sighs, "I cannot, would not ask you not to grieve. Nor would I ask that the search for my own son cease. But we must be reasonable. Our lives are not the only ones at stake here, and though we have lost much, there are others out there who have lost more, and would still die at little more than a whisper."

"I ask not that you deny your humanity [DM note: Elfidity?], but I ask that you remember that for all the losses that have already occured in this war - you are a hero. All of you are heroes. You put more at stake than any of them, and you will lose more than any of them. But this is the path that you have chosen for yourselves. We will do what we must to get both our children back - but if you cannot live for yourself," she pauses, throwing the shutters open wide, "live for them."

Xath

Moder-gator
Xath stares out of the window for a few moments. Then quietly she speaks. "You must think me the worlds biggest fool. It's not as though I've never lost anything before, lost any battles. This one just...hit me harder than I expected is all. You'd think that the more you lose the easier it gets. But that doesn't seem to be the case. But...." and an edge of resolve enters her voice. "I cannot afford to be weak now. There will be time enough for sorrow when the war is won."

Xath

Moder-gator
The_Universe said:
The Queen sighs, "Now, what will you do?"

"I will continue to do what I have always done. But I will not give up on my son. If time permits, I will seek audience with the Bluestar to find out what his terms are. And then I will be faced with a choice."

Remove ads