Xbox 360 Users?

Zappo

Explorer
KenM said:
There is a side by side comparsion witht he 360 and the Playstation 3. I'm very surpised The PS3 is only going to have 256 memory.
It doesn't. It has 512 MBs.

The video memory is 256 Mb GDDR3, which IIRC is the same type as the 360. The main memory is 256 Mb XDR. 360 uses the same RAM for system and video. So the PS3 has 512 Mb total as well, of which half is a whole lot faster than the 360's. Sony claims that this architecture is more efficient because of faster access, but of course they'd say that; the only certain thing is that the PS3 doesn't have any less memory than the 360.

The makers of that table seem be very slanted towards the 360. Another serious omission is that the PS3 has eight processing units total (1 PPC + 7 SPEs) where the 360 has 3. It also mentions "256 kb per SPE" of cache, but it doesn't explain that this means a whopping 3.5 megabytes total.

It also doesn't mention another important bit; PS3 games will be on 50 Gb Blue-Ray discs. MS has confirmed that 360 games will always be on normal DVDs even when the HD-DVD boxes start being sold, to avoid breaking compatibility with the boxes being sold now. It is easy to foresee large games on 360 to require disc-swapping.

The PS3 is also supposed to have an impressive bandwidth connecting its processing units, but my technical knowledge begins to fray here so I won't comment; there are way more than enough false rumors floating around.

I'm waiting for the PS3. It is certainly much more powerful than the 360 under all aspects (except for the crucial graphics chipset, which is unknown), and none of the launch 360 games appeal much to me.

Edit: and how could I forget this - in the "Digital Media Formats", they don't mention "Blue Ray" for the PS3, leaving it to the reader to infer that the PS3 will read the next-gen movie format and 360 won't. Future 360s will read HD-DVD, which currently however seems to be the weakest of the two in terms of market dominance.

Last edited:

Remove ads